How to fortify and defend when down hill?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

How to fortify and defend when down hill?

This is a discussion on How to fortify and defend when down hill? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Hi, my property is bordered by a large river on the Northern, Eastern, and Western sides (its essentially a peninsula), but the Southern edge of ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: How to fortify and defend when down hill?

Question How to fortify and defend when down hill?

Hi, my property is bordered by a large river on the Northern, Eastern, and Western sides (its essentially a peninsula), but the Southern edge of my property is against a steep hill (meaning everyone else is above me). What are the best ways to fortify the property with this down hill disadvantage? The property is around 30 acres, so the the border I'm concerned about is probably over 1,000 feet long and includes the road entering the prop.
    bigwheel likes this.

If I might ask, how steep of a hill are we talking?

Is it possible to buy the hill? If not look at the most likely avenues of approach for placement of alarms and booby traps. Also modification of routes to a predetermined kill zone.
    MaterielGeneral likes this.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Empty land, heavy brush and trees, houses on hill above you? Kinda vague. If you can get onto the property, look for likely cover and concealment and see what vantage it gives looking onto your property, "If I were going to attack my house from here where would I be" kinda thing.
    SecTec21 likes this.
    "In alcohol's defense, I've done some pretty dumb shit while completely sober too"!

Super Moderator

Move.
    First you have to give up. First you have to know, not fear, know that someday you're going to die.

Moving is not a consideration. The hillside is our property. It's quite steep (ranges between 75% and 150% grade) and is forested (not heavily). At the top is a state Rd and behind that a vertical cliff with houses on it. So no one living where they can just walk out their door and to our place, but they can watch us pretty well. Unfortunately the road above gets lots of traffic. What about a natural fence such as some sort of thorny tall bramble (that won't weed/invade beyond where I plant it)? I'd like wildlife to be able to move in and out, but not humans.
    Last edited by riverside; 02-03-2015 at 11:31 AM.

I'd also say the neighbors are not threatening. It is more the passerbys I'm worried about.
    Slippy likes this.

Can you block the view with strategically placed dense pine?
    Prepadoodle likes this.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

Quote Originally Posted by riverside View Post
    Moving is not a consideration. The hillside is our property. It's quite steep (ranges between 75% and 150% grade) and is forested (not heavily). At the top is a state Rd and behind that a vertical cliff with houses on it. So no one living where they can just walk out their door and to our place, but they can watch us pretty well. Unfortunately the road above gets lots of traffic. What about a natural fence such as some sort of thorny tall bramble (that won't weed/invade beyond where I plant it)? I'd like wildlife to be able to move in and out, but not humans.
    Well, if the SHTF and security is a concern, looks like you've found your lookout/overwatch spot, doesn't it?

If you are REALLY worried about it, and you own the hill, then construct a couple of hedgerows with multi-flora rose outside of a row of matting plants on the far one up the hill and something like thorny berries (edible) on the one closer to the house.

how far away from house

how many trees...

can you shoot from top to your house

is there a road up to it

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links