Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your thoughts on militias? Me personally, I'd stay far far away from them. I think their intentions are good, for the most part, but misguided. Saw a show a couple weeks ago on militias and watched this vid on youtube about Watchmen Of America. This show that was on Discovery is called Militia Rising. There seems to be a growing militia movement in this country that coincides with prepping. Anyway, what's everyone's thoughts?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Depends upon the group. Kind of like asking my thoughts on cars.
Organization, preparedness, etc., that is a good thing. Fat boys in cheap cammies sporting goatees and ranger rolled patrol caps...:grin:
Damn ya beat me to it. And I tend to stay away from mall ninjas , had one slight experience with a "militia" in NorCal , they couldn't shoot , had no survival skills , no wilderness skills , no opsec and most were so outa shape they'd drop from carrying their own ruck a few miles , but hey they sure did have every "tacticool" gadget in the world on their firearms , the majority of which were maintained at pisspoor levels.

These were folks stupid enough to walk down the center of a gravel road and wonder where the noise was coming from.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Just depends. We've got a pretty good one here in SC comprised of almost exclusively ex-military and they seem to be well-organized and prepared.

I'm not sure the purpose of any state militia, but at least we are still free enough to form them at our discretion and I think there is something to be said for that.

And oh, btw, I wouldn't let someone's appearance cause me to underestimate them in any way, shape, form or fashion. I learned my lesson a long time ago about that and it cost me a busted orbital eye socket.

·
Registered
9,155 Posts
The militias in the eighties were hounded by the feds and any that had any good people and organization were infiltrated by fbi spies.

If you form one, make sure you know everybody or all are interconnected and someone will swear a blood oath for their pledge's loyalty.

Above all, keep it secret! If you train do it in civvies. Live fire exercise, use 22 rim fire to keep noise down.

Plan nothing that can be consider seditious or preemptive. Plenty were busted for this act. You will most likely have a traitor in you midst.

If you inherit an informer or a special agent, they will leave after they are satisfied there is no fed law violation in your organization.

Use frs radios for comm. Anything higher in power will be monitored. Use no phrasing on air that will indicate type of activity.

Understand spectrum analyzers can spot rf traffic instantly.

Keep it legal in all respects and keep away from nfa weapons.

Unless you are in an area where everybody wears cammo, keep it off for everyday use. No need to be taken note of.

Get ex military people to train you. get leaders who can lead not just the most popular bubba.

Learn to operate together, learn military tactics, fieldcraft and sit back and wait.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Y'all watch that video and see just exactly what a buncha screwed clowns that Arizona group is , take a look at their movement tactics along the border , a buncha freaking sitting ducks..............and the backpack the guy walked up and KICKED , he's lucky it was just left by a coupla scared mojados , might seem harsh but I'd have laughed my ass off if it had gone skyhigh on him.

Having lived in the border regions , well these clowns aren't going to interdict diddly squat and if they encounter *real* drug runners , who are mostly operating at night anyhow , well at such time these bozos are apt to find out just exactly how inept they really are.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Y'all watch that video and see just exactly what a buncha screwed clowns that Arizona group is , take a look at their movement tactics along the border , a buncha freaking sitting ducks..............and the backpack the guy walked up and KICKED , he's lucky it was just left by a coupla scared mojados , might seem harsh but I'd have laughed my ass off if it had gone skyhigh on him.

Having lived in the border regions , well these clowns aren't going to interdict diddly squat and if they encounter *real* drug runners , who are mostly operating at night anyhow , well at such time these bozos are apt to find out just exactly how inept they really are.
Yah, the guys in Arizona are really pushing it. They could easily find themselves in handcuffs. They have no authority and are directing people to put their hands up while pointing live guns at them. They are just begging for an accident to happen. It just seems so many of these people are gear queers who never served a day in their life. I'm sure some of the groups do get people who have served honorably, but most of them apparently haven't. And they bestow a rank on themselves far above their capable knowledge. Look at the "Colonel" running the Indiana outfit. So what are these guys expecting to do? In a SHTF situation, they're going to roll into my AO and announce themselves as a militia and say "ok, we've got it from here". I don't think so. I'd send them packing. And the guys running around Florida driving down city streets in a van full of guys with AR's and AK's. Not sure that is totally legal either. But then, I'm not in Florida so I don't know their state laws. But still, I can't imagine if they were pulled over, it would be a rather intense situation. I don't know. Maybe I don't find it all that appealing from what I've seen since I did serve in the real Army and I just don't see the structure and professionalism that I'm used too. Just seems to be that in a real SHTF situation, some of these guys are going to accidentally kill each other.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I think these kinds of groups are good when not taken over the top. Those guys patrolling the border are just asking for trouble. but a group working together to take care of each other I see as a good thing. Me personally I don't think I could ever do anything like that, Just not good at taking orders and being told what to do, I think the bigger reason why I never enlisted in the Military. Groups being prepared is one thing, guys running around thinking they are going to be the Law is a whole another can of worms........

·
Registered
570 Posts
Militias can be just like Preppers, good or bad. I would advise preppers into looking into Militias in their areas. Never know when you might need armed, reasonably well trained friends. At the very least, and the local Militias turn out to be gun-tooting bubbas, you'll know to stay away from them if something ever happens.

To anybody looking to start one, as already stated in this thread, go low key, only recruit people you absolutely trust, and be on the look out of any potential infiltrators. The Hutaree and 241 group in Alaska (I think) both found that one out the hard way.

·
Registered
496 Posts
IMHO. Trouble looking for a place to happen. No matter how low key or of good intent, groups will not be able to stay under the radar. We're, even as individuals, are already on someones radar.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It seems like every time I see an organized militia it is full of fat-ass wannabe military with no idea what the hell they are doing. They spend more time on uniforms and looking tacticool than actual training. There are some good groups out there, but I would bet they are more likely to be the one to find you rather than have open recruiting.

I prefer to spend my time working with my neighbors to make sure that they are prepared for SHTF. I want them stocked with food, water, supplies and defensive weaponry. I take my neighbors shooting as often as they will go with me and discuss "what if" scenarios along the way. Who you can trust and how you will survive/defend locally seems like a better use of my time.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I know zilch about militias but I should imagine they have fairly tight rules about who can join which can't be bad.
For example if somebody is sloppy and unsafe with firearm handling, or his bushcraft, mapreading and camouflage skills etc weren't up to scratch, or he's a boring whiney pain they'd tell him "sorry bub we can't carry passengers, go join the boy scouts".
Incidentally as regards general fitness, that's only important in stuff like long route marches, but i can't see anybody wanting to do much of that in a SHTF world. If somebody is fit enough to just pull a trigger, they'll do..:)
As for militias training in the field together, that's surely a good idea- "True warriors are fierce, because their training is fierce"-Miyamoto Musashi (samurai 1584-1645)

·
Registered
285 Posts
I know zilch about militias but I should imagine they have fairly tight rules about who can join which can't be bad.
For example if somebody is sloppy and unsafe with firearm handling, or his bushcraft, mapreading and camouflage skills etc weren't up to scratch, or he's a boring whiney pain they'd tell him "sorry bub we can't carry passengers, go join the boy scouts".
Incidentally as regards general fitness, that's only important in stuff like long route marches, but i can't see anybody wanting to do much of that in a SHTF world. If somebody is fit enough to just pull a trigger, they'll do..:)
As for militias training in the field together, that's surely a good idea- "True warriors are fierce, because their training is fierce"-Miyamoto Musashi (samurai 1584-1645)
Great post, Jim. The militias helped get our country going and they will a major force towards saving our country from our evil government some day. Sometimes the people who criticize militias have never been a part of one. There's a good possibility the critics wouldn't stand a chance to qualify.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Really? So you think the clowns in said video had any of the commodities you cite? Perhaps you need to watch that video. And there is a rich irony in the fact that you quote from the Go Rin No Sho in support of a buncha jackasses engaged primarily in a circle jerk of mutual ego masturbation and fantasy.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Really? So you think the clowns in said video had any of the commodities you cite? Perhaps you need to watch that video. And there is a rich irony in the fact that you quote from the Go Rin No Sho in support of a buncha jackasses engaged primarily in a circle jerk of mutual ego masturbation and fantasy.
I didn't watch the vid because it was 45 mins long and my attention span for most vids is only 5 minutes..:)
Anyway I've seen other militia clips on youtube, they all know how to handle guns.
By contrast, if you joined a non-militia group formed of local neighbours without proper training one of them would probably shoot your balls off by accident, so I know I'd certainly feel safer in a properly-trained militia group..:)

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
No self appointed Militia will enforce it's will on us. They are the type of groups than can quickly turn in to something just as bad as what we are fighting.

Reactions: shotlady and jrclen

·
Registered
570 Posts
No self appointed Militia will enforce it's will on us. They are the type of groups than can quickly turn in to something just as bad as what we are fighting.
True, but so can gangs, and at least on the average, Militias aren't typically interested in criminal acts before everything goes to hell. If you're worried about a Militia trying to enforce it's will on you or your area, the best thing to stop that would be to be a part of the local militia, and then you help can steer it's actions in a direction you could prefer.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts