Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My thoughts. I will never fly again. If they can't get something right with the metal detectors and want to look at your buttocks, then this is not for me. I will not travel again. My choice. Some might think its petty, but that is a part of my privacy that I don't want anyone to see. Even doctors. I know, paranoid, but that's how I feel.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
supposedly TSA agents are coming down with a rash of aggressive cancers lately. Common denominator? standing near body scanners.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Not for me then, never again. I'll take my car if I want to go somewhere. Staycation is what they call it. Less stress, cheaper and boycotts this stuff.

·
Registered
693 Posts
It's the only way I get any kind of action....bring it on! :)

·
Registered
369 Posts
I don't fly anymore. If I can't get there by car, I just don't go. It is another right of privacy that has been taken away. I can't help thinking about the elderly lady with a colostomy, that was made to strip search because they thought she was containing something in her colostomy bag. The contents of her colostomy bag identified the person that did the search. ::saber::

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
amym505 said:
I don't fly anymore. If I can't get there by car, I just don't go. It is another right of privacy that has been taken away. I can't help thinking about the elderly lady with a colostomy, that was made to strip search because they thought she was containing something in her colostomy bag. The contents of her colostomy bag identified the person that did the search. ::saber::
Thats terrible! Poor woman, how embarrasing! I know that Ron Pauls son, declined to go through the pat down. Good for him! I most likely will never fly again.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
I can see from the standpoint of a woman how this would be embarrassing and sorely unneeded. As a guy, I would only be concerned that my stiletto might have showed up before boarding...

Locally I have seen silhouettes that appear "fogged." Supposedly this is a nod to female patrons.

Frankly, I miss 1968. I went on a class trip, landed in New York and bought a real-deal stiletto. The teacher, who had our unit, asked to see the knife, which I produced. He snapped it a few times and handed it back. After all, stilettos were common in the '60s....

·
Registered
Firearms & Self Defense.
4,614 Posts
The last time time that I went flying, and went through a body scan, was in 1996 or something. I had a crescent wrench in my carry on, which was a back pack. When the pack was scanned, some guard guy from Africa got excited and asked me what that was; and on a fancy display, there was a virtual snapshot of a small crescent wrench.

I was speechless, but his female American partner told him that it was OK.

I’ll never forget that: since it shows the un-learnedness, that is rampant all over America and the world. It’s not asking too much, that every man in America needs to know what a crescent wrench is.

Here it is over 25 years later, and the knowledge base in America, is dangerously askew. It is common for people to never learn to read and write.

But, the body scanners are better than ever, except that the Bozos manning them, are dumber now. It’s just dangerous to have about 1/2 of a nation that can’t name the continents, or identify a crescent wrench.

·
Administrator
15,378 Posts
In 2019 I flew for the first time since 1995.
It was quite an ordeal going through “inspection “.
Before I even got to the metal detector person, when you have to put everything on the conveyor to be scanned, I had to even take off my belt at which point, on account of the fact I do not have a fat butt, my pants fell down to my knees.
My artificial knee set off all the alarms, so I had to enter the full body scan. Instructed by the unfriendly officer to stand with arms fully spread, she did not grasp it when I told her if I let go of my pants what would happen.
Well, no need for the electronic scan after what happened next.

The only reason I flew was I was going to California, to the annual reunion of the 5th Infantry Division. I was going to skip it since it was too far to drive, but one of my best war buddies was dying of Agent Orange cancer and I wanted to see him one more time. He passed a few months later.
It was worth the embarrassment, and I’ll see him again, someday.
We’ll gather again with all our Brothers, and remember what we once were.

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
9,868 Posts
Having flown 6 flights in the past 6 months, I can offer some tips.
  • Elastic waistbands and slip on shoes are the way to go. Apparently yoga pants and sports bras are the preferred apparel of lady travelers these days.
  • Body scanners are often broken and not used, but when they are, they no longer do that "take a good look at your diddly bits" view. The screen seen by the TSA agent only shows a stock human outline and puts a red rectangle on the area that triggered additional inspection. This screen is visible to you as well as soon as you walk out the other side for your possible patty-pat.
  • Regardless of what they tell you, just empty all of your pockets of everything. Invariably the "anything larger than a cell phone" guideline still leads to smaller things triggering the system.
  • The 3oz liquid rule is flaky. My son's backpack made it through with a full water bottle that was never checked. Other agents mentioned that the "place your 1 quart bag on top" rule wasn't really important. Just keep your liquids together and not covered by material that's hard to see through or under electronic devices.
  • Lightsabers, an elegant weapon for a more civilized age, count as a carry-on. ;)

·
Registered
123 Posts
You DO know you can refuse and they will wand you or room you, right? You also know that claims of CA are just urban myths, right?

·
Registered
169 Posts
When the full body scanners were first being used, I refused it. The TSA agent shouted, "I have a refusal here!" and asked me to step aside for the patdown. About five or six agents converged on me, it was a bit disconcerting.

Now, I don't/won't fly anymore. First, it is demeaning to go through that security process. Second, too many banned articles get through in spite of it all. You ever watch those agents? They look so bored and out of it, I am not surprised they miss things.

·
Registered
9,065 Posts
When the full body scanners were first being used, I refused it. The TSA agent shouted, "I have a refusal here!" and asked me to step aside for the patdown. About five or six agents converged on me, it was a bit disconcerting........
Just remember.... the gubbamint only wants two things from it's subjects. Our compliance and our money.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have the same take on flying my daddy did. God didn’t give them things feathers so they ain’t meant to fly. That negates them wanting to X-ray my wee willie winkie right there.

·
Registered
Firearms & Self Defense.
4,614 Posts
When the full body scanners were first being used, I refused it. The TSA agent shouted, "I have a refusal here!" and asked me to step aside for the patdown. About five or six agents converged on me, it was a bit disconcerting.

Now, I don't/won't fly anymore. First, it is demeaning to go through that security process. Second, too many banned articles get through in spite of it all. You ever watch those agents? They look so bored and out of it, I am not surprised they miss things.
I took a Greyhound from Ohio to Florida, about 10 years ago; it was wearisome but it still got me here.
I haven’t given up on aircraft, because I love to fly, and there is little doubt that I will fly again.

But, I can still handle long trips on a bus if need be. And that’s kinda tough on a 65 year old.
But so is submitting to circus freaks in a TSA uniform. At least I have my dignity, after the bus trip.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
I'll take my car if I want to go somewhere...cheaper and boycotts this stuff.

I'm beginning to see the wisdom of your opinion. I used to take bus trips with classmates and we had a great time. After all, four guys in a hotel room, guidance counselors all sleeping, and all night to play cards!

While I was thrilled at that tender age to see the east coast, one of the most unusual segments of the New York bus trip was seeing blocks of drunken citizens. The counselor on the bus explained that there were lots of homeless and numerous alcoholics. The guy painted a very grim picture. But as we were kids from upper-middle class homes, we opened the bus window and threw out handfuls of pennies.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts