Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know about the rest of you but 2013 was a really tough year for me and I don't have a lot of hope for the next. What do you think the new year will bring as far as economic recovery, new threats, or WTSHTF? What preps are you doing to prepare for what 2014 might bring? With it right around the corner it makes sense to discuss preparation plans. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
no real drastic change, politics will still be a massive issue

the world economy will struggle even more

I do see Israel launching a first strike against Iran (this will be the official start to WW3) over their nuclear research...

other outlooks, more record braking weather patterns,.. on the bad side

China may cross the line with this pissing contest in Japan, may lead to something but I doubt it

later in the year, Afghanistan begging the USA government to come back... USA government will refuse, and all that blood shed over there over the past 9 years would be for nothing

out side that, the positives, it's a fresh year, may improve my chances of getting a new job so I got more $$

and my live will go on, with a new born in my arms, and a happy family...

prep wise, get my son into aikido or jujitsu, get bobs sorted, hopefully get my firearm license, will have my crt 2 in fire management, look at gettin my lovely misses into a firearm club with me (and her firearm and start her driving licence) and play the rest by air, will give some anti smoking pills a try, and try not kill anyone

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I think we are going to see an increase in the pace of the devaluing of the dollar. China is leading the charge with the divesting of the dollar, BRIC, and starting their own oil exchange and paying in the Yuan, and their plan to raise the value of the Yuan by divesting in dollar hodings as well as US debt.

My 401K has enjoyed the growth from the misguided QE3, but that appears to be on the path to reduction, finally. I am looking at reducing my contribution down to the minimum to still get max comapny matching and instead invest in more hard items that will have intrinsic value but may be more difficult to afford later.

I'm also considering looking at smaller properties than originally desired for "rural semi retirement". The original plan was to try and pay cash in 4 or 5 years, but I may just take on a mortgage for 4 or 5 years if the right opportunity presents itself. That mortgage wouldn't be anyting I couldn't pay off if the S really HTF.

Due to my company doing more with less (people), 2013 was actually a good year for me but I worked 6 days a week with way too many 7 day weeks. I don't see 2014 being too different, and it's taking a toll on me. My wife doesn't have it much better with so many 6 daqy weeks and long days.

I'm praying for good results in the 2014 mid term elections but the sobering reality is they are all too much alike anyway.

·
Banned
21,290 Posts
I think that '14 will be a very strange year.

Midterm elections will motivate the current regime to fabricate as much false info regarding the economy in order to flip the House of Reps and keep Dem control of the Senate. The long term effect of Quantitative Easing (Fed printing $85 B per month) is potentially tragic but in the short term it creates a false sense of prosperity by jacking up the stock markets.

The complicit media will do all that they can to promote their false agenda and demonize the right. The November elections will tell us a lot about the next 2 years but economically speaking, I expect 2014 to be a better year for most.

The inner cities will continue to be the epicenter of crime and liberalism. Those liberal cities like Detroit, LA, Boston, Atlanta, Cleveland, Baltimore and of course NY & Chicago will get worse. Political Correctness stories like the Phil Robertson story will dominate the headlines as well as fake positive stories about the current Regime in the WH.

I remain very pessimistic about a long term economic recovery. My main prep goals for '14 are;

Study the Bible not just Read It.
Improve our Water Storage
Continue our garden and greenhouse plan.
Total eliminate our debt. (We are very close!!!)
Create our long term fuel storage
Continue my rehab to strengthen my back/core and improve my herniated disc situation.
A .17 HMR Rifle or Revolver
A 4 Wheeler of her own for Mrs. Slippy--(This is one of those "stretch goals" but I thought I'd put it in the post anyway)

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I am an optimist. 2013 was not that bad a year for us, our investments did do better than expected for the year so that is a big plus and I feel that 2014 will be just as good if not better. Of course the best thing that can happen is the Democrats lose control of the senate in the election.
These thoughts are subject to suddenly going to hell in a hand basket.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
We did rather well 2013 I accredit it with our life style and learning newer more self sustaining things such as freeze drying and canning and having a garden and stuff we saved so much on food from our garden it was unbelievable, allot of information from this site helped and all you wonderful people.. the new year will be dedicated enhancing that lifestyle with a green house and incorporating more solar ideas into my property and was also going to build a chicken coup for eggs... And continue the boat project to fill the freezer with fish...Those are my major plans for 2014 so far.. Ill keep an eye on the politics and economy and keep doing what I been doing getting ready..

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Hmm. My wife has delayed her retirement since I have a teaching assignment thru May / June. We could be done at that point and make our final move out of CA to NV. That would be huge. I'm looking forward to creating a viable bio diesel this year. We are going to grow 3 different fuel stocks on about .4 an acre each. I'm hoping one will produce 200 viable gallons but that isn't likely, 125 maybe and that would be fine.

Economy I think the powers that be will make it shine this year for much of the year. This is with the intent on saving the liberals in Nov. they will tell us it's even better of course than it really is.

If we do retire I'm hoping to build a cabin on a separate property and sell it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I would like to go shooting more, not just shoot but learn tactical stuff, IDPA stuff. I have an awesome teacher! I would like to buy some land in the mountains easily accessible with a BOV (vw bus). Do more primitive survival situations (camping), learn how to start a fire without a match or lighter. And lastly, I would like to get in better shape.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
2013 was bad for me. It was bad economically, but a great learning experience.

2013, I was able to set up a rainwater catchment system, drip irrigation system for my trees, and just recently, I was given chickens.

I feel more secure in my food. I got an egg yesterday and one today that made some delicious scrambled eggs.

In 2014, I plan on continuing my homesteading and prepping.

2014, I have a few more trees to plant (2-3 avocados, a mango, papaya, fig, ruby grapefruit, Satsuma mandarin, and a few more roses and such.

I will also continue looking for full time work. As much as I want to move out of Cali, I can't get enough from my current home to buy another. I will continue to improve here so that hopefully I can get more.

I also am going to do as much as I can to not rely on store bought items, especially food. My trees should be mature enough that I'll have enough if I ration well. 2013, I rationed fairly well. I loved picking apricots straight off the tree :) but I did gorge out here and there haha

And my biggest goal for next year? Wood burning stove :D

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
As obamacare becomes more and more unpopular and the dems continue to drop in the polls, I think we are going to see the administration try to do something to divert attention away from obamacare in an attempt to save the dems in the midterm elections and keep control of the Senate. I think that there is a good chance the Israel will attack Iran in an attempt to knock out their nuclear program.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I would like to go shooting more, not just shoot but learn tactical stuff, IDPA stuff. I have an awesome teacher! I would like to buy some land in the mountains easily accessible with a BOV (vw bus). Do more primitive survival situations (camping), learn how to start a fire without a match or lighter. And lastly, I would like to get in better shape.
Dang, all that while also house breaking and domesticating MG. I am quite impressed!:lol:

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
I expect the first part of 2014 to be a lot like 2013 economically. That is, I expect the economy will tepidly plod along with everybody afraid to make any big investments due to the uncertain nature of the elections and Obama issuing contradicting executive orders every other day. What the second half looks like is anybody's guess.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that I expect there to be one or more terrorist attacks in the U.S. homeland next year. This is obviously not something I want, but I expect it to happen none the less. Obama and the extreme left wing of the democrat party has created so many divisions even within the ranks of the government that inefficiencies are really starting to show with various government agencies not being able to do the jobs we pay them to do. Al Qaeda will take advantage of this fact and succeed in some kind of attack on the homeland.

Domestically, I think Obama will continue to push the Tea Party and others like us, possibly to the breaking point. Whether that results in impeachment, a more vocal Tea Party opposition, or the beginnings of a full-blown civil war 2.0 are going to be largely dependent on the outcome of the elections next fall. If there seems to be massive voter fraud like there was in 2008 and 2012, I do not think it is unrealistic to see a tax revolt at minimum or even a violent reaction.

In short, I think 2014 is not going to be a great year. I pray that I am wrong.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
2014, if everything stays somewhat equal, will look like 2013.

Those things that might upset the apple cart -

Further obamacare disaster. 99% of the public don't get it. The end if next year, when more reality dawns, there may be an "awakening".
Israel will get fed up with Iran.
As was said, China will misstep and although we won't have a full war, we'll have a bad skirmish.
The rino's will take over congress and continue to screw things up.
If true conservatives win and enact change, then watch for the riots from the obama phone crowd.
Dollar will continue to drop and inflation will kick in with QE ending.
And lastly, there will continue to be government intrusions into our privacy, limitations of our rights and cover ups. Such is life in the new Amerika.

2014 and beyond.. Just the continual slide downhill of the country that was the great America. We are about 20 years past the tipping point.

Reactions: Meangreen

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I don't know about the rest of you but 2013 was a really tough year for me and I don't have a lot of hope for the next. What do you think the new year will bring as far as economic recovery, new threats, or WTSHTF? What preps are you doing to prepare for what 2014 might bring? With it right around the corner it makes sense to discuss preparation plans. Your thoughts?
I don't have a lot of extra cash in the bank but I do have some, maybe 4k and I'm going to invest that in Silver, the price is low and it is better than cash.

I realize ammo is coming down in price to almost 2008 levels but I think I have enough so I will not be getting more.

My thoughts are to get off the grid totally, it may initially cost me more as propane is more expensive than natural gas but my feeling is the payoff will be greater, I just need to convince the wife.

My wife still has a 401k plan and I will liquidate that in 2014, the powers that be will do a "bail in" and take a large percentage of what you have, better to invest it now rather than cry over your lost investments next year.

Reactions: Smitty901

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Work has been to busy. Normally that would be good. It has been busy due to changes that will in the end cut 6000 jobs.
No one can say for sure but I think this Obama care scam is going to blow up.
I wonder how long they cover with paper money the 85 billion a month that has been spent to buy Bonds in the market. That bomb is going to drop some day .
Will Obama be held accountable for his crimes this year?
I plan to get some good riding in soon as the snow clears

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Reactions: Smitty901
1 - 20 of 40 Posts