1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
513 Posts
I've been a range officer in the past, I've seen AD's (Accidental discharges) from novices and experienced shooters alike. I've seen dropped guns, people trip, twist ankles etc. all the time. I've seen accident's happen when dealing with firearms, nearly all AD's happen with the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.

Tell me one thing, if you have a gun drawn and are in a school, where is a safe direction?

Unless they had zero live rounds, I'd be against it.

Also, don't tell me that 'cops' are better at firearms than 'normal' people, because I know better.

What about some stupid bystander that has a ccw that want's to 'help'?

When was the last time you saw the FBI surround a bank and pretend there was a burglary going on? Just for practice, and to just see how the tellers and customers would react. hahahahaha

AJ

ps: Added after reading Mish's post. No good reason to scare the kids/teachers either. Pure stupidity.

·
Super Moderator
4,931 Posts
Ummm, this is absolutely ridiculous!! IT'S BAD!!! If they want to run drills, they can do it on the weekends with volunteers. There is no reason to traumatize those kids and teachers.
Someone is going to pay dearly for this!!!!::clapping::

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Police Officers Draw Guns During Unannounced ?Active Shooter Drill? At Elementary School « CBS Tampa

My opinion
Everybody is into "reality tv shows", well this is reality alright.

Schools everywhere in the country are a target -- and I see nothing wrong with local authorities preparing in the best way possible. If a few students get scared, they're just going to have to get over it.
That's what Der kommizar says...americans always thought they had too much intelligence and dignity for antics like this. It also makes adults nervous that there are fellas that hyped up and desperate for action playing with toys like that around their kids unnecessarily. It was unnecessary.
So no, I think it was bs "gerbil" training and ridiculous to grown ups not high on their little parts. I decline to approve of citizen "gerbilfication" to teach us that teenage mutant ninja turtles get to do what they want unmonitored and unchecked.
If we could put the people who need to be safe in safe camps with the other brain failures and let viable people carry on unfettered, then they could wow 'em at the adult kindergarden and leave the rest of us alone.
Thanks but feeling fine and "safe". No gov help needed.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Turtles?

Oh never mind. I really shouldn't just "skim" posts.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
The Growing "police state mentality" of playing Army, is in itself disturbing. It clearly draws a divisive line between it's citizen and the LEO's.
They forced their distrust of me, to feel exactly the same way about them....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I question the accuracy of this statement in the article .... "The gun was loaded, as is required. The other officer was carrying an unloaded AR-15."

As required by whom? Also if it is "required", why was the AR-15 unloaded? Just not sure they got their facts right on this reporting.
If I had been in charge of this drill -- all weapons would have been unloaded, as I suspect was the actual case. That's just common sense.

·
Super Moderator
4,931 Posts
I question the accuracy of this statement in the article .... "The gun was loaded, as is required. The other officer was carrying an unloaded AR-15."

As required by whom? Also if it is "required", why was the AR-15 unloaded? Just not sure they got their facts right on this reporting.
If I had been in charge of this drill -- all weapons would have been unloaded, as I suspect was the actual case. That's just common sense.
Common sense would have stopped those idiots from ever entering that building and scaring the shit out of those kids!!!

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
We did ours after hours and had floor plans of every school in our jurisdiction. The kids just need to be trained how to respond, follow instructions and know what to expect. They do their drills and we do ours.

·
Banned
23,899 Posts
We did ours after hours and had floor plans of every school in our jurisdiction. The kids just need to be trained how to respond, follow instructions and know what to expect. They do their drills and we do ours.
I don't think your department is on board with the big plan. You'll never get to be a part of the Big Plan if you aren't willing to go that extra mile.

·
Banned
1,895 Posts
who cares no fatalities no need for a lawsuit

the real issue is not the police department it's the principle if you let it happen during school hours.

this same thing happened at local university cops all decked out and SWAT gear charging on the campus. only people that like the stuff are the authorities and people who you like that sort of thing likes swaters.

personally I could care less but do it doing it without warning is a problem because it can cause public alarm which is a crimeup here which police don't have any immunity to so if they're breaking the law as part of their training that's illegal training and why that training doesn't occur in public areas. bear in mind I've gone to at least one college that had a police foundations program and as part of their training they had a crime daywear they were running around in police gear making more arrests and Vesta getting on campus. Including resist arrest. it's a definite problem for the public especially good Samaritans you may try to stop a crime in progress and treated as a real currency or take a higher level of risk than they normally would such as jumping out of a window assaulting someone

this really needs to take the same approach as a fire alarm would go through more serious than the fire alarm though

it's potentially a good thing if it doesn't disturb the educational setting but if you have a fire alarm why not a active shooter alarm if there's a bigger chance of an active shooter than a fire

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
who cares no fatalities no need for a lawsuit
If you were a student or faculty member in that school or a parent you would care.

Another thought - so they do these unannounced drills until some kids decide they are calling wolf again. The next "drill" turns out to be the real thing and the kids don't take it seriously.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Police Officers Draw Guns During Unannounced ?Active Shooter Drill? At Elementary School « CBS Tampa

My opinion
Everybody is into "reality tv shows", well this is reality alright.

Schools everywhere in the country are a target -- and I see nothing wrong with local authorities preparing in the best way possible. If a few students get scared, they're just going to have to get over it.
I saw the report on this. What the police did was just a hair this side of suicidally stupid. If an armed teacher had blown one of them to itsy bits, I would have applauded. Sending in a team of plain clothes cops looking like shooters and firing guns was so idiotic these days it's criminal.

·
Registered
10,602 Posts

My opinion
Everybody is into "reality tv shows", well this is reality alright. Schools everywhere in the country are a target -- and I see nothing wrong with local authorities preparing in the best way possible. If a few students get scared, they're just going to have to get over it.
I refuse to watch that reality stuff except the one which has the cute scared nekked lady..but did see some of the film clips on the cop training thing. The way they were slinging those guns around looked like re-runs of Charlie's Angels. They need more training but no need to scare kids to death. That looked totally crazy.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I saw the report on this. What the police did was just a hair this side of suicidally stupid. If an armed teacher had blown one of them to itsy bits, I would have applauded. Sending in a team of plain clothes cops looking like shooters and firing guns was so idiotic these days it's criminal.
Didn't see the part where they were in plain clothes and shooting their guns. If that is actually the case, then I agree with you - a teacher carrying could have blown them away and THAT would have been justified.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Which reminds me: they interviewd some poor woman in tears. Her husband was stopped going 130 in an effort to get to his kid at school... Imagine if he'd hit an ambulance...or a schoolbus!

Reactions: rickkyw1720pf
1 - 20 of 32 Posts