Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Antibiotics!! I believe medications will become, to some extent, the new currency of the world when the SHTF. It's going to be a nonrenewable resource. A person that has the power to healing becomes a god.

How many people are stocking up on medications/antibiotics/medical supplies?! Who's stocking up on books about diseases and their cures? Who has taken the time to educate themselves on medical procedures? These are things that will be invaluable in the new world. =)

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
been buying stuff off the shelf stuff like antibiotics creams and medical supplies an such....Have a pretty good supply of stuff :D

Reactions: Mish

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
yes, it is a good concern. survival camping has antibiotics but says they are for fish? I have been hoping to get amoxicillin for ear infections and bronchitis and augmentin for ear infections. what is the shelf life for antibiotics? storage ideas?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
yes, it is a good concern. survival camping has antibiotics but says they are for fish? I have been hoping to get amoxicillin for ear infections and bronchitis and augmentin for ear infections. what is the shelf life for antibiotics? storage ideas?
The army did a test and found most would retain 80% of there potency up to 15 years if stored correctly.

Table 1. Sample of SLEP Testing History
Product
Length of Original Dating
Average Total Years Extended
Total Shelf Life Obtained
Atropine Sulfate 2mg/ml, 25ml multidose vial
2 years
13 years
15 years
Atropine 2mg/0.7ml Autoinjector
5 years
5 years
10 years
Atropine Sulfate Inhalation Aerosol
4 years
4 years
8 years
Pralidoxime Chloride 600mg/2ml Autoinjector
5 years
13 years
18 years
Pyridostigmine Bromide 30mg tablets
5 years
5 years
10 years
Diazepam 10mg/2ml Autoinjector
4 years
5 years
9 years
Doxycycline 100mg tablets
2 years
5 years
7 years
Ciprofloxacin 500mg tablets
3 years
10 years
13 years
Sodium Nitrite 300mg/10ml vial or ampoule
2 years
8 years
10 years
Sodium Thiosulfate 12.5gm/50ml vial
2 years
14 years
16 years

Also medicines in tablet form will store longer.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I just took fish mox for a nasty sinus infection and it worked great. I took 500mg 3 times a day for 2 weeks.
My doctor wouldn't listen when I went in and told me to use some stupid Neti pot for a month then see how I feel. Neti pot didn't do squat but the fish mox did!
Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
This comes up every so often and has been discussed several times I wish there was a way to pin this subject because so much information is in the past post.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I would suggest anybody wanting vet medicine buy them pretty soon before you will need a prescription.
Do you know something I don't? Is there something in the works?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Do you know something I don't? Is there something in the works?
Just that there has been a lot of talk and people purchasing them on all the SHTF forums in the past year and they were more of a secrete.
I doubt the government will let this loopehole go on while they are desperately trying to control the medical field. But just my guess.

Could you imagine if someone on dooms day prepper mentions storing vet antibiotics and how easy you can get them.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I would suggest anyone buying this stuff do some research, some antibiotics like minocin become toxic when they degrade to a certain point.

·
Registered
143 Posts
One must have in this former hospital corpsmans opinion is silver solutions and creams. You can get them over the counter and online. They were essential to us on the field. You can use the solution to clean up infected wounds and take internally for systemic or internal infections. The main advantage is the shelf life.... silver never degrades, but the solution will eventuallly become percipitated... meaning the silver will settle out of the solution over tkme. We were told to just shake it if it was.out of date.

·
Registered
900 Posts
These "fish medications" are exactly the same as the human meds. Much cheaper and available in pet stores every where. I would suggest you get a good medication manual so you know what they treat and what the recomended dose is. Never use medication that is discolored, and store in a cool dry place. I seal mine in air tight bags and then in my med kit, which is a huge plastic tote and then into the cellar.
I personally use for my animals as well as myself but I do with caution because we all know bugs become resistant to the antibiotics if not used correctly or used to often.
I think the key is to keep as healthy as possible, stay clean and keep our environment clean (bleach those bugs away) and learn how to use natural cures before resorting to the antibiotics.

·
Premium Member
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's nice having friends who are doctors and can write me scripts for antibiotics and such. Amoxicillin has always worked best for me.
How you doing?! :wink:
It's nice to have friends, that have friends, that are doctors!

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
As long as you know what they will treat and how to administer them veterinary supplies are great. You might try to find out if you are allergic to them before you need them too.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts