Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you have pets that you're also prepping with? I have a 5 and a half month old chocolate lab named Cabela. I am gonna be ordering her a dog saddle bag, so she can carry stuff too. It stinks that all of the really nice ones, that are bigger, are SO much more expensive..

What do you do for your pets and what kinds of pets do you have? Are they trained to do anything special? I plan to teach Cabela to find/follow blood trains, mainly for hunting.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
i have a cat named mittens shes mean. like beats me up gives me stiches and tetnus shots, scars and bites the children mean if they dont pet her right enough fast enough and with out warning beats them up and goes right back to purring.
i have a soft bug out bag for her to come along prepacked with food and little watering bowl.

this is her making my older son's dirty pants her bitch. she doesnt like the boys to not put thier things in the hamper. she steals things, jewelry, small things,unpacks guests' over night bags, open the doors to the guest room, gets into medicine cabinet and destroys the qtips.
if she ends up being too dangerous, im gonna have to loose or eat her. but first ill do what i can to protect her mean ass.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
3 Cats mice control duty, 1 bird I think she is about 20years old already 2 dozen fish. a small speed bump of a dog Rat terrier and about 3 other mixed in she is a brave soul. Then Sir Pretzel Stix a Australian Blue healer 1 year old 53 pound tough dog. He is part of security. At one he is like having a 4 year child old running a round.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Do you have pets that you're also prepping with? I have a 5 and a half month old chocolate lab named Cabela. I am gonna be ordering her a dog saddle bag, so she can carry stuff too. It stinks that all of the really nice ones, that are bigger, are SO much more expensive..

What do you do for your pets and what kinds of pets do you have? Are they trained to do anything special? I plan to teach Cabela to find/follow blood trains, mainly for hunting.
Nice thread youngster. Those bigger saddle bags ARE REALLY expensive. Maybe you should try our plan out. We're going to Walmart (God help us) to get some messenger bags (small purses). My wife is going to cut and sew the belts together and make a strap so we can harness it to the dog.

Remember, if you stop relying on others for your supplies now you won't have to when SHTF.

·
Registered
245 Posts
We have the dog and our prepping roomy is getting another one. An Australian Cattle Dog. We also have a cat who will be riding in my 6 year old girl's pack.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
i have a cat named mittens shes mean. like beats me up gives me stiches and tetnus shots, scars and bites the children mean if they dont pet her right enough fast enough and with out warning beats them up and goes right back to purring.
i have a soft bug out bag for her to come along prepacked with food and little watering bowl.

this is her making my older son's dirty pants her bitch. she doesnt like the boys to not put thier things in the hamper. she steals things, jewelry, small things,unpacks guests' over night bags, open the doors to the guest room, gets into medicine cabinet and destroys the qtips.
if she ends up being too dangerous, im gonna have to loose or eat her. but first ill do what i can to protect her mean ass.

Lol!! Crazy cat! she's pretty though :)
3 Cats mice control duty, 1 bird I think she is about 20years old already 2 dozen fish. a small speed bump of a dog Rat terrier and about 3 other mixed in she is a brave soul. Then Sir Pretzel Stix a Australian Blue healer 1 year old 53 pound tough dog. He is part of security. At one he is like having a 4 year child old running a round.
Haha LOVE his name! Sounds like you'll have lots of animals for protection! :p
Nice thread youngster. Those bigger saddle bags ARE REALLY expensive. Maybe you should try our plan out. We're going to Walmart (God help us) to get some messenger bags (small purses). My wife is going to cut and sew the belts together and make a strap so we can harness it to the dog.

Remember, if you stop relying on others for your supplies now you won't have to when SHTF.
We have the dog and our prepping roomy is getting another one. An Australian Cattle Dog. We also have a cat who will be riding in my 6 year old girl's pack.
Thanks! And that's a great idea! I may have to go check them out tomorrow!
Here are mine. I know its silly, but what can I say, I'm a prepper!

Haha!! They know what to do!

Reactions: shotlady

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's a pic of her at around 4 and a half weeks. Practicing pulling a sled! Never know when I may need her to :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL!!!!!! Too funny!!!!!!! "Commando Cat"

Reactions: shotlady

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
1,595 Posts

e
Your cat is probably worrying about how all her human friends will be able to take care of themselves in a real SHTF situation, Cats only need 1/6 the light to see, can get around in total darkness because they can feel minute air currents, have supper sensitive pads on their feet that can detect small game walking around, good hearing, supper strong muscles, can jump several feet in the air from a standstill (ever try to stop them with a fence). Probably natures greatest predators, most of the cat family are such good hunters that they normally spend as much as 18 hours a day sleeping (we can't even do that). If there is a SHTF situation one to the biggest problems will be pest like mice and rats so they would have a ready food supply and don't think that if you have a house cat that hasn't been out that it has lost it's natural instinct to hunt. Who knows if you are real nice your cat may share a rat or two.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Your cat is probably worrying about how all her human friends will be able to take care of themselves in a real SHTF situation, Cats only need 1/6 the light to see, can get around in total dark because they can feel minute air currents, have supper sensitive pads on their feet that can detect small game walking around, good hearing, supper strong muscles, can jump several feet in the air from a standstill (ever try to stop them with a fence). Probably natures greatest predators most of the cat family are such good hunters that they normally spend as much as 18 hours a day sleeping (we can't even do that). If there is a SHTF situation one to the biggest problems will be pest like mice and rats so they would have a ready food supply and don't think that if you have a house cat that hasn't been out that it has lost it's natural instinct to hunt. Who knows if you are real nice your cat may share a rat or two.
My two "outdoor" cats (Cody and Dave) do exactly this, they bring me chipmunks, birds, snakes, lizards, frogs and put it at the front door for me to see when I get home. Also, cats are going to be rock stars in Urban areas (Think Black Plague prevention).

MountainMan, yes, everyday. Now they are trained to get on the ATV and stay there until I tell them to get off.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Ah, come on, why you so hard on Mittens? I see nothing but good from her!

View attachment 827
hahaha this is so cute. im gonna print it and send it to my boy threatning to send her to afghanistan to keep him company. there aint a person in that platoon that she aint beat up when they come for weekend suppers or r&r. that oughta clear out the whole base. shes like the family hunney badger!
that is super!

anthony and i used the vacume space bags to pack for him to move to his 1st apartment, i got him an infiniti g35 coupe for graduation so we used his car and my car to get his stuff down there. we finished getting everything ready for a 5am get out of my house. over night she chewed the corners and all the bags poofed up. i thought i was gonna cry, but me being forever ready bought extra space bags and stuffed the other ones in and we were on our way! i can tell you all sorts of mittens stories. right now i have a broken ankle from trying to get away from her when she was mad about something. she's ferrel. she has a brother i named Mr onions cause he cried all the time. i gave him away, he made me nervous crying like that. she just makes a meep meep mop mop- thats how she meows.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'm actually looking up sleds and harnesses for dogs. I have a harness for her but it isn't for pulling a sled so it doesn't have some clips and loops that would be needed.

This is a cool sled, Lucky Bums Utility Sled - Free Shipping at REI.com
Sleds are excellent too and the harnesses you buy in the store have that wonderful, built in, planned obsolescence. Do you know how to sew? If so stitch together your own leather harness. If you build it with your dog in mind it will fit 1000 times better than anything you get in the store. Plus you can use better materials and make it much cheaper. A little extra effort goes a long way.

I'm the animal guy and dogs are my specialty. Behaviorist and agressive animals are my primary fields. I'm glad to see such a young prepper bringing animals in. Dogs (and cats) are excellent workers and unlike man, are only truly happen when they are doing their job. Chocolate labs aren't known for being exceptional kart pullers so I'd probably stick with the saddles. You had the right idea to begin with. Scotch guard the heck out of what ever you have 'cause you know a lab's gonna' get wet.

Whatever you decide to do please post it on here so we can see the end result. I can give some kart training advice if you decide to go that route.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
hahaha this is so cute. im gonna print it and send it to my boy threatning to send her to afghanistan to keep him company. there aint a person in that platoon that she aint beat up when they come for weekend suppers or r&r. that oughta clear out the whole base. shes like the family hunney badger!
that is super!
Wait! Print again, have to have some sort of advertising on it. ;-) Send our troops this way.

IMG_2862.jpg

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sleds are excellent too and the harnesses you buy in the store have that wonderful, built in, planned obsolescence. Do you know how to sew? If so stitch together your own leather harness. If you build it with your dog in mind it will fit 1000 times better than anything you get in the store. Plus you can use better materials and make it much cheaper. A little extra effort goes a long way.

I'm the animal guy and dogs are my specialty. Behaviorist and agressive animals are my primary fields. I'm glad to see such a young prepper bringing animals in. Dogs (and cats) are excellent workers and unlike man, are only truly happen when they are doing their job. Chocolate labs aren't known for being exceptional kart pullers so I'd probably stick with the saddles. You had the right idea to begin with. Scotch guard the heck out of what ever you have 'cause you know a lab's gonna' get wet.

Whatever you decide to do please post it on here so we can see the end result. I can give some kart training advice if you decide to go that route.
I have before but it was for something we did in school lol, my Grandma can sew though and she lives right next door so I can always ask her for help.
We also have an outside cat, Buck, he always leaves us mice/moles/birds somewhere on the porch haha.
I knew they weren't really a pulling dog, but I'm sure if a certain situation came about and I needed her to do it, I'd like her to be able to. I doubt I would have her pull much, maybe a few supplies, since she wasn't bred to do so, but the saddle bags are definitely on my list. Have you trained dogs to pull carts/sleds?

Reactions: MountainMan

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have trained dogs to do many, many things. Sled pulling is actually an easy one with most breeds.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have Benny,a giant black lab that is like a fat,lazy child,he is good at farting,perhaps i can harness methane?lol.I also have Puppy,a 13 year old cat that follows me like a dog(I brought her home when she fit in the palm of my hand)and some cornsnakes(25 left)...(I used to be a breeder in the pet trade)...I guess I could eat the snakes?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts