654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been experimenting with Cast Iron Pan Bread,
Flour,
Non-fat dried Milk
sugar,
Oil or fat
Yeast.

The question is: , What is the shelf life of Yeast and/or how to obtain Yeast when the supply runs out ?

I'm not interested in sour dough recipes.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yeast can be kept in dry form for up to two years in conditions of low humidity and cool temperatures. Basically, stick it in a vacuum sealed bag and in the frig and forget about it. The efficiency drops off but it can be used in baking or brewing even after five plus years.

·
Registered
Defense, food, shelter, primitive medicine, and bushcraft. I think everything falls under those.
46 Posts
Look at making a sourdough starter. Seriously.

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
10,501 Posts
Reactions: bigwheel

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeast can be obtained in the wild.
Yeast is a family of fungus. Each variation imparts a special flavor.
There are lots of places you can get it. Most fruits will have it in some form.

Ok so you guys haven't heard the latest on this one. It seems some feminists, now this is true and disgusting, have been using, well to put it lightly, feminine yeast to make breads. Get what I'm saying?

·
Registered
Defense, food, shelter, primitive medicine, and bushcraft. I think everything falls under those.
46 Posts
Ok so you guys haven't heard the latest on this one. It seems some feminists, now this is true and disgusting, have been using, well to put it lightly, feminine yeast to make breads. Get what I'm saying?
Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yeast can be obtained in the wild.
Yeast is a family of fungus. Each variation imparts a special flavor.
There are lots of places you can get it. Most fruits will have it in some form.

Most sourdough starters use wild yeast. I started one in December. It takes a few days to get it going, and you have to feed it, but it does work to get a leavening agent going without store bought yeast.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Super Moderator
9,835 Posts
Yeast can be kept in dry form for up to two years in conditions of low humidity and cool temperatures. Basically, stick it in a vacuum sealed bag and in the frig and forget about it. The efficiency drops off but it can be used in baking or brewing even after five plus years.
I have yeast that is more than 2-3 years old and its still doing its job. I buy it in vacuum sealed bricks and keep it in the freezer. It seems the freezer stops the process of degrading and started again when it's thawed.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Don’t remember where I first saw it but the white powder looking stuff on grapes is wild yeast.

It was in a now gone away forum as part of a sourdough vs yeast discussion.

Reactions: inceptor

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
10,501 Posts

Reactions: inceptor

·
Registered
5 Posts
Light colored trees, like birch or aspen use yeast as "sunblock". It looks like a white powder. Here's some on my gloves. You can scrape the bark into a bit of flour, water and a pinch of sugar and it will bubble in a few days. You can also use it like the tree does. Wipe a little of it on your nose, cheeks, anywhere the sun hits, and it will help a bit to keep you from getting sunburned. But apples, grapes and most high sugar fruits will have a fine power of yeast on the skins.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you have access to potatoes, the liquid you cook them in provides a natural potato yeast.
Throw the skins off of a couple of grapes with the white yeast on them and U B set.

Reactions: RainKing
1 - 16 of 16 Posts