Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was reading an article on my local paper that claim xbox one is a goverment spy tool. it claims it watches you and listens to you 24/7 if in same room where you keep the console.you can't turn off cameras or microphone.that's creepy.

·
Registered
103 Posts
While I don't believe it is a government spy tool by any means, anything with a camera can be used that way. If you have a smartphone with a camera it can be used to watch you. There was a case not too long ago where they incremenated someone by hacking into the network video record them through their iPhone camera to catch them in the criminal act. I forget where I read this but anything that is connected to the internet with a camera can be used. My lap top has a camera on it that I'm typing with right now and I'm connected to the internet. The right person could be watching me as I type this. Not how it is normally working. not the intention, but possible? 100%

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Boy that makes me want a free government phone.
Has anyone noticed they are making an effort to make sure everyone has Internet connection access?
creepy?

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
It is always best to use the devices people own to keep tabs on them. It used to be just the phone but now its your car, your computer, your GPS, your game console and anything else that connects to the internet - like your new freezer, fridge, dishwasher and other appliances.

If you get an alarm system that is monitored or can email you or you can control from your phone it can also monitor you at home.

·
Super Moderator
9,165 Posts
Ok, everybody say, Cheese.
That's a good one, I'll have to get it blown up and framed.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yep, exactly right. It is part of this new technological society. Apple got in a lot of trouble (not sure if they ever got sued with it) but someone hacked the iPhone and found that apple records where you travel and how you use your iphone to better sell you products and update their content. Which makes sense but I can also see where that is a big invasion of privacy. I use an app that does voice chat instead of texting and I can click a button and see exactly where the person I am chatting with is. Kinda creepy but that is just how it is these days. If you are connected to the internet, have a camera, people can see you and can track you and can invade your privacy. Now how many people are sitting in front of a computer watching your every move? Not likely at all. However, the fact that it is possible does creep me out a bit.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Sorry, I don't have my camera plugged in and even when it is plugged in it warns me when it is turned on - it has built-in lights that come on - it's hardwired that way so you can't turn the camera on without the lights.

I have software that recognizes motion on the camera and then takes pictures at regular intervals. The pictures are saved in a password protected encripted website. I use them to monitor the house when no one is home. After the first picture is snapped the screens put up a warning that they have been captured and the pictures are not stored on-site so they might as well call 911 and give themselves up. A total of four computers with two cameras each - all storing pictures to the same site. Not much chance of getting away.

·
Registered
938 Posts
The simple solutions are always best.

Just unplug your Ethernet cable or Internet connection.

Problem solved. Takes two seconds.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts