Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Both basically the same out of pocket, with extra's (another barrel and magazine extension) when all's said and done. The Wingmaster has seen years of use and it's springs are well worn and would need changing. The Express is brand new in all it's parts and springs. The Wingmaster has a blued finish and the Express it's matte. The Wingmaster come with old used and battered wood furniture and the Express new synthetic or laminate wood. Both directions would end out giving you a ribbed 26 inch barrel that excepts Remington chokes and a smoothbore 18 1/2 barrel with rifle sights, but the Express would have tritium sights also. The wood stocks can be reworked of course, sanded and refinished. And the shotgun touched up and even coated with Duracoat or like finish, but that's more money than the other parts alone.

Would do you prefer?

·
Administrator
15,411 Posts
I've never handled a Wingmaster, but my 870 Super Magnum Express is a wonderful piece of machinery.
I think that mechanically they are the same. One is a working man's gun, the other is just prettier. At least that's what I've been led to understand.

Reactions: Fuzzee

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I prefer the tritium sights myself by far. That makes late night thumps in the dark much easier to aim at. The Wingmaster's afaik are put through much more fine deburring and fitting work. They have a chrome plated carrier, better extractor, feeding system, one piece barrel and non-dimpled magazine tube. You've got to get rid of the dimples on the Express to put on and use the magazine extension. Not a big deal. I've done it before, but its' nicer if they weren't there. I've had Express's before and they smooth out with use, but the Wingmaster will be or should anyways, be smooth as butter running the action.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
My brother had and used a wingmaster for 20 years. Never removed the trigger group to clean, only the barrel. Never failed to fire. Sold it cause he's left eye dominate for a browning with bottom eject and looking to get rid of the browning, just doesn't measure up, his words. For what it's worth. I figure, like most stuff made now, not built to pass on to the next generation. I'd opt for the old wingmaster. Changing sights is small potatoes to me.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I have shot thousand and thousands of rounds out of both. I own several 870's, both Wingmasters and Express. Hands down I would chose a well used Wingmaster over a new Express any day of the week. The Express is reliable enough, but rough all the way around. The Wingmaster is like a good glass of Cabernet, smooth and silky.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Of the 2 I'd go with the wingmaster but I'm a wood and high polish blue kind of guy. Given my choice of any slide action shotgun I'd go with the Winchester Model 12.

-Infidel

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I have an 870 TB Wingmaster, and I used an 870 express in a former career, the Wingmaster is pretty and smoother but the express will get the job done just as well in a less aesthetically pleasing way. My Wingmaster was given to me by my Grandfather and my kids will probably have to inherit it before they ever handle it. It's a 26 or 28 inch fixed full choke and throws very tight patterns.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
How odd that I stood holding one of each on Friday trying to make the same decision. I wanted the Wingmaster, but she was just too used up from a long life of doing what she was built to do. It was just too mechanicaly sloppy, so the Express won out.

EDIT: The 870 shows some use and has seen the field, but it's nice and broken in.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I have a hard time buying any Remington firearms manufactured after they were acquired by TFG.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How odd that I stood holding one of each on Friday trying to make the same decision. I wanted the Wingmaster, but she was just too used up from a long life of doing what she was built to do. It was just too mechanicaly sloppy, so the Express won out.

EDIT: The 870 shows some use and has seen the field, but it's nice and broken in.
That's the problem when you buy used. You're buying other people's abuse. The Wingmaster I'm looking at is a police turn in also. Gotta be banged around a lot and shown lots of lack of concern. I wouldn't be surprised to find some glass in the action when someone tried to smash a car window with it. I like new. When you buy new, you know what you should be getting and if you don't get it, you return it, exchange it or send it in to the manufacturer and then get it.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'd like to thank everyone for their input. It helped me come to decision and figure out what was best for me. I choose to go the new Express route and picked myself up a 870 Express with 26 ribbed barrel and a modified Rem choke inside. Now I'll pick up a tritium rifle sight barrel which I really like and extension to change out for home defense, giving me the two barrels and setups. One for hunting animals with wings or four legs and another for animals who walk on two. Thanks folks. :D

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Shotgun
Bird Water Beak Fluid Organism
Ecoregion Vertebrate Elk Plant Deer
Hairstyle Photograph Muscle Shorts Fashion

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
870 Express.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Id do the wingmaster...in fact while your bullshittin', I DID do the wingmaster! Yeah I probably could have made out a few dollars cheaper in actual money spent but I did get a damn smooth gun, that was made at a time when craftsmanship actually was a consideration still and I did spend some money spiffying the old horse up a bit. But I got a weapon system that's just like I want out of the deal and I don't regret the move.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm looking at my new Express right now. I cycled the action about 50 times, lubed it everywhere with Tetra oil, wiped down all the exterior metal, changed out the safety to the lefty safety I had and lubed the trigger group. It cycles pretty smooth and will smooth out in time. The thing is, looking at it, I know I made the right move. The Wingmaster was sure to be smoother, but it was well worn in too. I prefer the matte finish of the Express, like the synthetic stock and forend it comes with a lot and will have a great setup overall with 2 brand new barrels, and a shotgun well suited for what I want out of it. I've had Express's before. I know there no pos shotgun by far. I'm happy with the purchase. I got a good price on it and Remington has a $30 dollar rebate on the model I got right now. I'm going to get it to the range as soon as possible and make some pretty holes in some Zombie targets.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Id do the wingmaster...in fact while your bullshittin', I DID do the wingmaster! Yeah I probably could have made out a few dollars cheaper in actual money spent but I did get a damn smooth gun, that was made at a time when craftsmanship actually was a consideration still and I did spend some money spiffying the old horse up a bit. But I got a weapon system that's just like I want out of the deal and I don't regret the move.
Why do my Spidey senses tell me your AO is almost in my back yard? If there's a certain Wingmaster gone off a certain rack I'ma have to start checking my mirrors more often, lol.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts