Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of carrying both. One on my tactical vest hung upside down and a katana strapped over my back. Of course I'll be carrying my AR as well.

·
Registered
693 Posts
If I could find an authentic Katana i would love to carry one. I have a reproduction samurai sword that is sharp as hell, but it's not a full tang and if it hit anything hard, I don't have much faith in it staying in one piece...

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
I would carry a Bowie with at least a 10" blade. Best of both worlds. :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a good buck fixed blade 3 1/2 inch hunting knife, and will be looking into making leafspring machete's due to the material being redialy available and the flexability plus the MULTI purpose capabilities for them and fairly easly concieled compared to a "sword"

·
Registered
245 Posts
I keep a cheepy $1 special in my pocket, car, and sock at all times. If it hits the fan I'd rather have a few good weighted solid knives. I can hit a target dead center right now at about 25ft and I'm still considering which gun will be my first so for me it's gotta be a few good knives.

·
Registered
34 Posts
In the field, instructors always carried Kukri knives, they have a wonderful all purpose blade that can be used for anything from chopping wood upto about 4" thick to skinning and fine carving depending on what part of the blade you used. It is an excellent edition to any collection and at 14-16" it fist well in the "Kinves you can use for self-defense" lineup as well.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have a Gerber with a fire starter. Yes it's a bear grylls, no I'm not a fan. Whetstone survival, 2 tool king folding with sheath, several throwing knives, sog hand axe. all came in yesterday

·
Registered
212 Posts
In the field, instructors always carried Kukri knives, they have a wonderful all purpose blade that can be used for anything from chopping wood upto about 4" thick to skinning and fine carving depending on what part of the blade you used. It is an excellent edition to any collection and at 14-16" it fist well in the "Kinves you can use for self-defense" lineup as well.
I tried buying an authentic Kurki for my collection.
They would not ship to the U.S. only Asia

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sword is an interesting idea, but without a lot of training I definitely would not e carrying one with the intent of using it for defense. I've been looking at machetes just for general purpose chopping - and a ESEE-5 as a survival type knife....

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Yeah a machete has a greater deterrent effect and also chops stuff better, but it's cumbersome to carry around.
So a Bowie-type knife like the one below would be more convenient, you can keep it tucked up your sleeve, but if you had a longer machete up your sleeve you wouldn't be able to bend your arm.

"Okay Buzz show us what you got!"

Big knife trumps little knife, right Kathy?
"Right"

PS- Knives/machetes never jam and never run out of ammo..;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I always have a sheath knife in the field and usually always have access to a machete (on my pack or in the truck). This of course assumes an "in the field situation". At home I have both plus some.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I always have a sheath knife in the field and usually always have access to a machete (on my pack or in the truck). This of course assumes an "in the field situation". At home I have both plus some.
Same here as I carry a 10" bowie in the field plus 2 skinning knives and field saw as well as at least a side arm and rifle. Now home I have machete, axes and swords as well as a number of other knives and guns to choose from.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts