Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
would a pellet gun be use full in the preps? i feel it would be useful at close range defence and it dont cost a ton of $$ like a regular 9mm or 45 would. a pellet gun is till gonna put a wound on a person especially the ballistic tip pellets if ya shoot someone in the face i feel it would detour them from you property? i just want some other opinoins i guess thanx guys and ladies

·
Registered
492 Posts
Sure everything has value. If your a good shot with it you certainly can put food on the table. It would be an effective weapon in the right hands. Of course you could prolly beat the hell out of someone with a loaf of bread if you had a mind to. Welcome to the forum!

punch

·
Registered
24,349 Posts
I am not sure why you think a pellet rifle would have value as a "close range" defensive weapon. As far as value, though, it certainly has value. Spend a couple hundred dollars for a rifle and a couple tins of pellets and you have a nice way of gathering small game.
Definitely a good thing to have.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
...would a pellet gun be use full in the preps?..
If you live in Britain that's probably the only weapon you'll be allowed to buy, otherwise if you live in the States take off yer apron pilgrim, and get yerself a proper gun..;)
Over here "pellet guns" usually refer to BB-firers which are little more than toys, forget 'em.
Air pistols and air rifles are much more powerful, they come in .177 and .22 calibres and fire lead slugs and darts, farmers use them for rat-shooting.
I used to shoot at bars of soap with my .22 air rif and yeah i've no doubt they could make a hole in the fleshy part of somebody a couple of inches deep unless he was wearing a thick jacket.
Air weapons probably wouldn't kill anybody but would certainly make them mad. Don't bother with a headshot, it'd just bounce off his skull.
If you were a real mean badass you could try to shoot an attacking zombs eyes out but a pepper spray would be better.

Get a .22 air rifle which is more powerful than a .177, (don't bother with an air pistol, too weak), then in a SHTF world you can go out shooting pigeons and other game birds for food, (get a telescopic sight and you can't miss!).
And they wouldn't shred the bird like a shotgun blast, no need to waste a valuable cartridge on a bird when a .22 slug does a neater job!
Also air rifs are quiet and won't attract zombs from miles around.

A guy in another forum swears he goes out shooting rabbits for the cookpot with his .22 air rifle, I'll take his word for it but personally I'd have thought a bunny was a bit too big to be killed with just one shot unless it hit a critical spot. I can just imagine a rabbit being hit by the first shot and saying "It's gonna take more than one sonny!"..

I had one of these .22 Meteors but sold it off years ago, I might get another sometime, they currently sell new for around 185 GB pounds (297 US dollars). I wouldn't touch a cheap second hand one because the spring would probably be clapped out and it'd be as useless as a dead dingo's donger-

·
Administrator
15,031 Posts
We were having a problem with Norway rats in the feed shed. We keep the animal feed in metal garbage cans w/lids, but there is always spillage. I was using 22 magnum CCI shot shells in my Single Six, but the wife wanted to get a pellet rifle for her own use.
Got a Crosman Storm break barrel from Walmart. Advertised at 1,000 fps. I believe it! This rifle will drive a .177 pellet clean thru a very large rat. I was impressed. The wife found it very difficult to cock it, so now it's mine. I scoped it, and plink the many pine cones lying about. It would have no problem putting a rabbit or squirrel in the pot, and does not make enough noise to draw attention. It is not a toy, it is a serious hunting impliment for small game.
Every survivalist should consider buying a quality pellet rifle.

Reactions: Denton

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hello all, I have a Gamo Hunter and I've had a Lot of fun with it and have collected various rodents with it and Love it's feel and power! It's not all that quiet but beats a 22 for that here! I find it's a fun way to get some shooting in, save some $ and still enjoy knocking a can around?

Ron L:

·
Registered
231 Posts
There are pellet guns out there that will send a 30 gr pellet through the air at near the speed of sound. Ive also heard of poachers taking deer with these pellet guns. Granted all the ones Ive researched that attain these velocites are CO2 driven. But yes. I could see them being a viable tool for a prepper. Cheap to feed. No restrictions on buying. As a defensive tool? I highly doubt it. Sure, you could kill someone with it. But when I talk about poachers taking deer, I am talking about them making a great shot and even with one through the heart having to track the deer for several hundred yards.

Would it be better than harsh words? Sure. But so is a .22 which you can pick up cheaper, and can attain near the same velocities in a heavier projectile with .22 shorts and are just as quiet.

But then again a red rider can take out squirrel and rabbit if you can shoot and is even more quiet.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
i have the crossman 357 co2 pellet and i just love it. my friend uses it to run off the moles and rabbits on his nano farm. and when a mole/ground hog whatever has been trapped near the fruit trees it is a nice disposal. i have lotsa extra co2 and pellets. small game, spider removal... really fun to plink with. and definately have value. but wouldnt be a go to gun. but i sure would know how to if i had to, make this gun worth having!

·
Registered
231 Posts
They are sometimes difficult to find. But in short. Think of them as firing .38 spc from a .357 mag. Yes. But you can suffer some accuracy because of the shorter casing. Because of the shorter casing there is more volume that need be filled in the chamber before the bullet enters the leade and engages the rifling. But as most shooters are using them at >50 yards it really isnt that big of a deal. Though it can be somewhat difficult to find because the .22 long is so common and the price difference is negligible.

The only real plus of it is sound. I remember years ago after daddy sold the farm, and we moved into town my brothers would peg squirrels in the back yard without anyone knowing. A bull whip made more noise. But you may run into some issues cycling autoloaders because of the reduced volume of powder.

Edit to add. The .22 short when used in a firearm chambered for its use is very accurate, and was used in the Olympic 25m rapid fire until about eight years ago.

·
Administrator
15,031 Posts
Some old time squirrel hunters in our area use 22 shorts. The local hardware store stocks them in Remington brand, but they are more expensive than 22LR.
I have a few boxes put away. I use them in bolt actions and a pump rifle. Exclusive use of Shorts in a LR chamber will cause some erosion in the chamber and leade, so I use them sparingly, and not at all in my Henry lever action.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
thank you for the info. i heard a little about 22shorts. and i do mean a little but it didnt stick. sounds pretty neat. i wouldnt want to erode my shit, but if i had to take a quiet shot in a shtf situation, would be a nice choice. thank you, brandi

·
Registered
640 Posts
I have a Winchester Model 67 that fires .22 and .22 short. It's an ancient POS but I still love it. And... .22 shorts are still readily available at most larger sporting goods stores... or via the internet.

But back to pellet rifles... I see lots of value. You can usually carry one around and practice shooting with it where .22s would get you arrested. And yes... you can take a rabbit with a pellet rifle. Even a large Texas sized Jack.

I prefer barrel break pumps over CO2 any day.... As long as I have arms... I have the power to shot. CO2 run out.

Reactions: punch and shotlady

·
Registered
231 Posts
It wouldn't hurt anything to shoot them from your 10/22. It would not shorten it's life. But in autoloaders it might not have enough pressure or in the case of recoil operated firearms, recoil, to cycle the gun. Meaning you may have to manually work the action after every shot.

·
Registered
24,349 Posts
Today's autoloaders aren't going to load a short; they do not have the power to kick the bolt back. On the other hand, a single shot or a bolt action will work. Shorts are a quiet way to pop a squirrel in the noggin or get rid of that pesky cat in the neighborhood.

·
Registered
24,349 Posts
It wouldn't hurt anything to shoot them from your 10/22. It would not shorten it's life. But in autoloaders it might not have enough pressure or in the case of recoil operated firearms, recoil, to cycle the gun. Meaning you may have to manually work the action after every shot.
Worse yet, it can stovepipe, depending on the strength of the spring. Don't even try to run them through the autoloader. It'd be faster to use them in a bolt action. At least the bolt handle is made for easy action. Plus, they don't cost a fortune, anyway.
I like cheap! It means more money for ammo.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
i went co2 because of the pumps specially ifn youd like to make 50 rounds in a siting off yer breakfast table on the porch, it wouldnt be very comfortable with pump action.
i got mine for 35 bux on amazon. new, bought the co2s and several things of pointy hunting pellets. i got some for the kids too... so they can have fun and plink.

side story:caught my older boy picking off lizards on his fence in san diego, citing that they were provoking him by doing push ups. i assured him they were just trying to get wimmin types and not provoking him, so i took his three co2/bb & pellet guns home with me, leaving him with his colt m4 and 40 cal m&p. hes sorry now .but has nothing to plink in his garage or back yard of the house we got down there. he better be i got him a ruger 10/22 takedown for xmas. but he doesnt get his pellet&bb guns back this month. i dont see it happening next month either. dont kill lizards or nothing unless yer gonna eat it... spiders and fire ants are the only exception.

now my younger boy didnt get introuble for shooting ants... i dont know why i have made a distinction as they are all living things. brad shoots ants when they crawl on his boots at the blm. bradley has to work harder than ants to find trouble with me.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I've actually hunted lizard with a pellet gun and I actually smoked and ate it... Well... it was supposed to be cooked... but it ended up smoked. It was dry and chewy.... but edible.

Reactions: Denton
1 - 20 of 56 Posts