Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have traps galore my wife is in love with our “local” wildlife. She feeds the squirrels, rabbits , and birds around our house . Lately I’ve been noticing damage to my cold crop garden . I wanted to set traps for the rabbit and my wife got pissed she wants me to plant marigolds to keep them away. Anyone know any “humane” solutions to get rid of rabbits on the home front?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Dude...dunno.

Who the hell starts off a thread post with...Dude?

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Always someone to chastise eh?

Skin, my car needs to be washed.

Do you realize how pathetic that sounds to start your second post with? You weren't even addressing anyone.

Chastise?

You betcha.

Carry on....

·
Registered
24,403 Posts
Is Wifey a vegan? Vegetarian? If not, introduce her to rabbit in the pan.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Skin, my car needs to be washed.

Do you realize how pathetic that sounds to start your second post with? You weren't even addressing anyone.

Chastise?

You betcha.

Carry on....
You know what I had something else written but I’m not even going to spread toxicity in the forum bud if the dude in my post bothers you that much I’ll change it

·
Registered
457 Posts
You want to keep them out of the garden? Fence it off, otherwise I haven't come up with any "Humane" ways other than killing them off. It needs to be pretty tight wire. 2"x4" wire is too big. It would work for the main fence but you'll have to double up something around the bottom or the young ones will run straight through. Good luck, marigolds won't stop them. I don't know if any of the chemical deterrents will or not.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is Wifey a vegan? Vegetarian? If not, introduce her to rabbit in the pan.
No but she feeds the rabbits/squirrels /birds near our house the squirrels come up and take nuts out of her hands lol . So she doesn’t want me killing any of them doesn’t mind if I kill wild game

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You want to keep them out of the garden? Fence it off, otherwise I haven't come up with any "Humane" ways other than killing them off. It needs to be pretty tight wire. 2"x4" wire is too big. It would work for the main fence but you'll have to double up something around the bottom or the young ones will run straight through. Good luck, marigolds won't stop them. I don't know if any of the chemical deterrents will or not.
I have a nice fence around it . You really think 2x4 is too big? I’ll try doubling it the white fence in the back I put paver stones where there were gaps to cover it thanks for suggestion I’ll see if that does it. ( I have no idea where she came up with the marigold idea but she swears it works , she may just be trying to get me to expand the flora lol)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have traps galore my wife is in love with our “local” wildlife. She feeds the squirrels, rabbits , and birds around our house . Lately I’ve been noticing damage to my cold crop garden . I wanted to set traps for the rabbit and my wife got pissed she wants me to plant marigolds to keep them away. Anyone know any “humane” solutions to get rid of rabbits on the home front?

My first suggestion is to stop feeding them, you're attracting them.
You're telling them to come here for the smorgeshborg. Bad, bad, bad. That is on her.

Marigolds are for bugs. It actually attracts the good ones and repels the bad ones in regards to your garden.

I have to agree on the small fencing and some pellet gun hunting.
You could trap them and release them else where, but that would be a job in itself.

·
Super Moderator
9,515 Posts
I have a nice fence around it . You really think 2x4 is too big? I’ll try doubling it the white fence in the back I put paver stones where there were gaps to cover it thanks for suggestion I’ll see if that does it. ( I have no idea where she came up with the marigold idea but she swears it works , she may just be trying to get me to expand the flora lol)

A friend tried that about a month ago. She lost most everything and had to redo it with chicken wire. Now her garden is taking off.

·
Super Moderator
9,515 Posts
Since she likes to feed them, try trapping them and then build a cage. Ready made meat if you need it and she gets to feed and pet them as the community grows.

·
Super Moderator
State of Grace
6,654 Posts

We put up wire fencing all over the backyard. It doesn't rust. So far, so good. The only creature nibbling on the lettuce is my puppy.

Critterfence Black Steel Square Grid 1x1 Welded Wire Fence
  • 1 inch by 1 inch opening size square welded wire fence mesh
  • Hot dip galvanized after welding (not electro-galvanized like big box stores)
  • Black PVC coated
  • 17GA after coating 19GA before coating minimum
  • Rated for up to 30 years of useful life
  • Salt spray approved & engineered for soil to fence contact
  • Typically used as a multi-purpose fence to keep in or out a broad spectrum of animals including birds
  • Multiple uses - for example, as a small opening size fence at the bottom of another fence - used to block off animals from entering an area (under a deck) - a decent general animal barrier fence - flexible easy to work with - not as thick as our 2 inch opening welded wire fence
Good luck, and it's possible your wife may want to reconsider feeding the wildlife, she may attract mice and rats, too.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts