Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
It's marketing. MREs are not a long term survival strategy. It's beans, rice, dried peas and canned goods for us. Some spam, some tuna, stuff like that. I have a tiny farm with chickens, so we have eggs, lots of them, and access to chicken meat. I assume we would need some one on guard duty 24/7, probably 2 people. Growing your own food is exhausting and depending on if you have gasoline and tractors or tillers, your work load will grown proportionately to what you do not have. Yes, I do have a few bins of treats for baking now and then, (I have LP at my house, so for a while, we would have gas for cooking.) I think it would boil down to having a lot of the same old stuff that cooks up well in a dutch oven. Eggs and chicken while we have them. I can't justify the money on survival food. It may make a lot more sense in an urban setting where you don't have space, and have no ability to grow your own. I think it depends on what scenario you prepare for.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Geez, I must be missing something, but if I get in 3 meals per day, I'm lucky.
Today my day started by hauling 100 pounds of wet chicken manure out of the coop. Then I weeded until I couldn't move my fingers, then I transplanted a few threatened plants, that were unhappy where they were....huge grapes vines that were about to get cut down.

My garden comes ripe all at the same time, because around here, we have to plant after May 15th (hope we don't get a late frost, which happens) and by the end of August, we are done, other than the crops that are drying, like dent corn or soup beans, or the frost tolerant stuff like cabbages, kale or broccoli. Sept. 10th we usually have our first frost. When you plant 30-40 tomato plants, they are all ripe at once and you can for 2-3 weeks, from dawn to dusk. For that, you get maybe 100-200 jars of tomato sauce depending on how thick you boil it down to. This is your year's supply. If you aren't canning, you are freezing or dehydrating, or making bread out of zucchini or pumpkins or whatever. Canning starts in June with the strawberries and later raspberries, I do 80-100 pints of jam. Then come the green beans, pickles, beets, sauerkraut, all canned, several hundred jars. In September-October, I have to get whatever I dried on the vine....that is a lot of corn, and more beans than any human being ever wants to shell. At least when the shelling is done, not much else needs to be. I am up early in the morning weeding, caring for chickens, repairing the crap that falls apart all the time, now, I can't imagine when I don't have gasoline powered equipment or even a well pump that works easily. I have a small subsistence farm. I don't even have a milking animal. I can't imagine even adding THAT to both ends of my day. If you are in survival mode, you are scavenging or chopping wood to keep warm. Just hauling wood in over the winter, from my stash craps me out and I didn't cut or split it. I love my life on this little farm, but, man this isn't for every one. I dunno, I don't think 'Survivor' is in any way a realistic depiction of SHTF. If they give up because they can't take a blah diet, maybe it is Darwinism at work.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.