Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife insists that I begin focusing on food now that I'm close to being complete on our firearm and ammo goals. I saw something somewhere about Wise food plans starting at 65.00 a month and now I cant find anything. I may just buy what I can as time goes by like I've done with ammo, but I wouldn't mind financing a few months worth of food from any source. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
559 Posts
For that much you can stock away a couple of cans of mountain house freeze dried. IF you decide to go the freeze dried route.

If you are JUST starting out, I would suggest a few cheap bulk foods like sugar, salt, rice, lentils (or other beans/legumes) packed into 5 gallon buckets.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Although we do have some food like Wise for some long term storage. We prefer to do our own food preps. We dehydrate,smoke,can and freeze our own stuff. That way, we know what is in it and can make it taste exactly how WE want. Instead of buying bulk processed food off of a line somewhere..

I hear people say 'It will last 10,20 or even 25 years". If we are so bad off that I can't produce my own food in 10 years. There is a lot more to worry about.. Since we have been here in Montana these few months. We have probably put enough food up to feed us and a few others for almost a year. And it will probably last a few years if we weren't to mess with it. On toip of that, it was probably cheaper and we know what's in it and it is stuff we normally eat. It only takes time and it is a way for my fiance and myself to do stuff together. We will turn on the radio or something and put a few hours back on a weekend and get to it. And it is fun for us. Then stockpile a ton of beans and rice and there's not much you can't do..

I will tell you what I like to store.. Seasonings.. I have tons of seasonings I buy in bulk.. You name it and we have it. From cajun to Jamacain Jerk. The Spice House is a new sponsor for our blog and radio show and they just sent me even more seasoning to use review.. My fiance thinks I'm crazy sometime. i will pick up seasoning or sause EVERY time we are int he store. I bet we have e few hundred pounds of different stuff.. But that way, you can make things just how YOU want it to taste..

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a small garden every year and kill a couple deer for the smoker. I process my own venison and blanch and freeze my homegrown vegetables. The problem is what to do in an extended power outage or tornado disaster. I want a couple months of freeze dried food and bottled water just to get us through. I don't really worry about long term SHTF stuff. We will revert to a hunter gatherer/hunter killer lifestyle.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good idea Nathan, my wife gets 5 gallon buckets by the score for free at work. Need to put those to use huh?

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Good idea Nathan, my wife gets 5 gallon buckets by the score for free at work. Need to put those to use huh?
Just be careful with the buckets. Make sure they are food grade plastic. You might be okay if you pack the food inside good Mylar bags, but do you really want to chance it when for a couple dollars more you can get 5 gal buckets that were designed to hold food and have gamma seal lids?

Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Just be careful with the buckets. Make sure they are food grade plastic. You might be okay if you pack the food inside good Mylar bags, but do you really want to chance it when for a couple dollars more you can get 5 gal buckets that were designed to hold food and have gamma seal lids?

Just my 2 cents worth.
Well said, It isn't but a few bucks more to get food grade buckets with great seals on them. Grab some of those and mylar bags with o2 absorbers and you are set. We store wheat,flour,sugar,GRITS,and tons of beans of different kinds just to name a few things.. You would be amazed at how far a 5 gallon bucket of rice will go..

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I realized when looking and trying the Wise Food packets an important thing....... I'm not a little person and the Wise packets whether breakfast, lunch or dinner weren't designed for me in mind. I'm not Godzilla mind you, but at 6'4", 250lbs, I'm not a rabbit either. There really isn't that much food in them. Than for the price compared to MRE's, stocking up on canned food, canning your own, dry items like beans, rice, flour, grits, oats, and dehydrating, they really aren't that good of a deal. There nice to pack in a BOB for weight savings if you're around a lot of water sources to rehydrate them, but otherwise they leave a lot to be desired.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Another good alternative to Wise and other foods such as this with more power to make dishes you like is Thrive at Shop Thrive Life. For canned meats I've also tried http://www.foodpreppers.com/canned-meat.htm. I do have about a year of Wise but also have about 2 years of other long term foods from various makers. With a total of 3 years for 2 people I'm satisfied with it and simply like the Thrive even for every day stuff also so I replace as needed. Thrive also has a plan under their The Q on the home page you might want to check out.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The buckets we get are full of frosting. They have a guge O ring seal on the lid. Seem really nice. We have to clean out all of the frosting first. Tough job. :)

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
The buckets we get are full of frosting. They have a guge O ring seal on the lid. Seem really nice. We have to clean out all of the frosting first. Tough job. :)
Better stock up on toilette paper if you are doing anything but throwing the frosting in the trash.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I have a small garden every year and kill a couple deer for the smoker. I process my own venison and blanch and freeze my homegrown vegetables. The problem is what to do in an extended power outage or tornado disaster. I want a couple months of freeze dried food and bottled water just to get us through. I don't really worry about long term SHTF stuff. We will revert to a hunter gatherer/hunter killer lifestyle.
Sounds to me like what you need to invest in is a good pressure canner, that way you won't have to worry about extended power outages. You can preserve everything out of your garden and your venison (or any other meat) and won't be dependent on keeping it refrigerated. Something to consider, I would think.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is a pressure canner different from a pressure cooker?

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The wife cleans the buckets out before they ever make it home. I'm stoked about buying rice and beans for storage. If the SHTF we will have no shortage of TP. :)

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Is a pressure canner different from a pressure cooker?

"Pressure canners are not the same thing as pressure cookers, and it is important to understand the difference.
Pressure cookers or pressure saucepans are used to rapidly cook meats, vegetables and other foods for a family meal. But they may not maintain adequate pressure, and they heat and cool too quickly to use them to safely pressure can foods. Pressure canners have either dial or weighted gauges. Pressure canners are necessary to safely can foods such as meats and vegetables that are low in acid.
Pressure canners and pressure saucepans come in a wide variety of sizes. Pressure canners may hold up to 22 Quarts of canned food, and are able to process food at pressures up to 25 pounds. Some popular brands of pressure canners are Mirro, Presto, and All American. Pressure cookers usually hold no more than 4 to 6 Quarts,
and they may, or may not, have a way to regulate the pressure. Some pressure cookers come equipped with a weight to cook at 5, 10 or 15 pounds of pressure, while others have no way to regulate pressure settings, or
simply have settings of 'low', 'medium' and 'high'. Pressure cookers do not come with pressure gauges, and
they cannot be safely used to can foods. Pressure canners and pressure cookers work by trapping steam and building up pressure inside a pot. The steam is trapped because the lid, which is fitted with a rubber gasket, forms an airtight seal once it's locked into position. As the contents of the pot heat up, steam gets trapped and pressure builds. At 15 pounds pressure, water boils at 250°F, almost 40°F higher than in conventional pots. The high pressure and temperature destroy microorganisms more rapidly (pressure canning) or cook foods more quickly (pressure cooking). Both pressure canners and pressure cookers that you'll find in the stores today are a far
cry from their predecessors. The new 'second generation' pots are lighter in weight, and they have new built in safety features that release steam if the pressure gets too high-features that make them more fun and easy to use. If you are careful to follow the directions that accompany your pressure canner or cooker, you will enjoy using these contemporary pots."
Here one of the answers I got when I looked it up but generally Pressure canners are bigger heavier and have a means of holding the canning jars off the bottom of the canner. I have the All American 921 I would recommend it. FYI not all foods have to be pressure canned, some food that are high in acid can be what is call hot water bathed, Canning books, YouTube and such places will tell you all you need to know about it. It isn't that difficult and is a great way to preserve food.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I use the standard water bath canning system in a 21 qt size steel pot however I use and induction stove which limits me to only metals that can be magnetized ruling out solid aluminum pots. I have recently purchased a Fagor Pressure caner that is only 7 qt but then I do smaller amounts of meats than I do vegetables so it works for my needs.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Wise food is a rip off. I have eaten several of their products and honestly they taste like crap. You can buy your own food and store it much cheaper. Don't waste your time with that crap.

·
Registered
320 Posts
E-foods, mypatriotsupply.com.
I PROMISE you won't be disappointed. I have several kits.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The wife insists that I begin focusing on food now that I'm close to being complete on our firearm and ammo goals. I saw something somewhere about Wise food plans starting at 65.00 a month and now I cant find anything. I may just buy what I can as time goes by like I've done with ammo, but I wouldn't mind financing a few months worth of food from any source. Any recommendations?
One never has a complete firearm goal! There's always one more gun to add to the collection..or a couple more boxes of ammo.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I've never been a fan of the "meals" programs offered by any of the vendors. I know they try but they have to pay for all that marketing, government standards testing, space, delivery etc etc. You sound like you can garden and know how; that is huge to self sustaining. I feel that I'm capable of that as well even though my location only affords me one simple growth a year due to weather conditions - one and done - no multiples. That means storing by can, freeze drying or freezing. That really isn't too hard. What I know, however, is that I can't easily growth rice and any beans other then green one's. So I do stock up very heavily on both rice and beans for long term storage. Now you have access to buckets and you could store them in mylar bags and get a good shelf life, but I don't know for certain what the shelf life would be - I know mine for certain because I do by from a costco vendor. I get free delivery, costco pricing, and I know I've got them for 25-30 years when they arrive. I still use the oldest one first. My wife things 2 containers of Lentils and 3 of rice is enough (its just the two of us) but I prefer more and have more. Mind you a container would likely serve us both a year. I have also grown very fond of a "veggie" stew produce they stell the same way. Its about $70 for 388 servings I beleive and all I have to do is add meat which is always available where I'm at.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts