Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

I recently decided to install some wifi video cameras in my house. I went with a dropcam pro camera because it has motion sensor alerts and instant viewing through my phone as well as online recording so I can track what's going on.

I use it to track deer and raccoons that are after my chickens and veggies, but I also use it for the front yard to see who is entering my property...

Please check out my youtube video and let me know what your preferred method of continous surveillance is.

My youtube channel is Backyard Boogi where I do all kinds of DIY Homesteading projects, including chickens, rabbits, solar, organic gardening.

·
Registered
419 Posts
You sound like you have a heavy German accent but have lived in the US for a good decade or so. Would I be right?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very keen assessment! You are correct, I'm a soccer loving German who's been living in the states for almost 20 years.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Isn't Germany in the World Cup final? Must be a good month for you.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Very keen assessment! You are correct, I'm a soccer loving German who's been living in the states for almost 20 years.
The gun laws are a bit easier to comply with than Germany. And poor folk can actually hunt here, Germany has hunt clubs. And no public land. Is that a fair assessment?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The gun laws are a bit easier to comply with than Germany. And poor folk can actually hunt here, Germany has hunt clubs. And no public land. Is that a fair assessment?
I'm not too sure about the gun laws in Germany, but I do know that they have thousands of hunts clubs and those have members from pretty much all walks of life. You do need a special permit to go out in the forest to hunt deer.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Hey good post...in a world with all of the available amenities this is a great tool for keeping and eye on things.. Good post and good review...stay involved on here. you did good.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
I think your a good candidate for touching on the cellular interactive apps for security if you get into that. I liked your approach and content...informative and overall very educational. again..good job.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think your a good candidate for touching on the cellular interactive apps for security if you get into that. I liked your approach and content...informative and overall very educational. again..good job.
Sounds interesting. Do you have an example of an interactive app for security or a brand name?

s.

·
Registered
6,196 Posts
The wifi security cameras at my college uses the free WiFi network. One day i downloaded an app called fing to see if anyone was stealing my wifi. I got the bright idea to scan the free WiFi and found the ip address of just about every camera at the school. Just a few more steps and someone could watch.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The wifi security cameras at my college uses the free WiFi network. One day i downloaded an app called fing to see if anyone was stealing my wifi. I got the bright idea to scan the free WiFi and found the ip address of just about every camera at the school. Just a few more steps and someone could watch.
Excellent point. Safety of the wireless signal is a big concern. The good news is Dropcam uses bank-level security to ensure that my live and stored videos are safe, even on unprotected open wireless networks. My video is encrypted in the camera before it is transmitted to the server and streamed securely to my devices using SSL encryption.

I have more detail on security at www.dropcamproreview.com

·
Registered
210 Posts
I also use a Wireless camera in my chicken house. We are using the camera to see which chicken lays the first egg. It's aimed at the laying boxes and shoots photos every minute. I went with the Astek Mole. I like that I can pan/tilt/zoom it. For home security, I'm using a Swann Night Owl set up. I believe your camera has the ability to take shots every minute. You can use them to create really neat time lapse videos. I also sometimes use a GoPro Hero 3+ Black. It all just depends on what I want to film.

08-Mole_Front.jpg

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
My mom and her husband just installed some wireless surveillance camera's. They run through a Modem and into their DVR. They're okay quality, but a pain in the ass to access. Have to get the right remote, access the DVR, and so on. These are pretty cool.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts