·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are these worth all the money?

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Probably not, but what the hell if you want it. I want a S&W model 41, there is no .22 pistol worth over $500 IMHO but I will own one eventually anyway.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Old gent in my area wants $900. I have a history with the old marksmanship matches they use to use these on, but don't even know if they still do that, and I'd have to sell something to fund it.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
If you want it for reasons of nostalgia and the memories are worth the money buy it. If not you can build one hell of a 10-22 for that kind of money.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
They might be nice but, they can't be THAT nice! :shock:

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Haha
I had to google it

My best guess is that it is marginally accurate based upon modern standards, and your 10-22 will outshoot it every day of the week.

Not to disparage the era, just to state the facts that older firearms are 100 yard clunkers compared to modern day firearms.

If you want a feel good, blast to the past gun and have the money, knock yourself out,

But you can't expect to get the accuracy out of the old "buffalo guns" that you will out of modern productions.

IMO

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
Must be a bunch of kids on this post. First no 10-22 will ever be as accurate as a Model 52B. Mine from before the war could shoot rings around the big bores at 200 yards (no misprint) in any kind of weather. The matches we used them in are still around and you'll find them on any campus with a marksmanship program or shooting team. Our ten ring at 50 feet was no bigger than . No I mean the little dot. But these are just my humble thoughts on the issue

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm with you Sarge!! My 52 is from the 50's. My uncle was the 4H and Boy Scout instructor in the 60's and 70's. He also competed at Camp Perry. When he died in 74 my family gave each kid their choice of his guns. My older cousins took the Garand's, the 1876 Win and others with more value. I chose the 52 because I had used it for years with him instructing me. I sure didn't know then it would be worth as much as they are today. I still made the best choice. And still have it!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
The ability to maintain the cheek weld between shots will improve most peoples group size. The 52B may be more inherently accurate, or it may not, but most will never put it in a rest to find out .25" group or .30" group are good enough for anything a .22 can do. They are a beautiful rifle, and rifles made today are not better than those made 100 years ago for the most part, but unless you are buying the gun for nostalgia they are overpriced for what they are.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I wasn't aware that weapons that are made today are ever so much more accurate then those made 50 years or so ago. I guess I was deluding myself when I thought that my M1903-A3 was more accurate then my Remington 700...... I have never considered my Ruger 10-22 a particularly accurate .22 but then it is over 25 years old so maybe that was before they used modern techniques to make it super accurate. I have a Winchester 52 inherited from my Grandfather and IT is what I consider an accurate .22 rifle, but then although I can see the advantage of being able to throw allot of rounds down range, I am also the kind of guy who puts a great deal of importance on being able to hit what you are shooting at with 1 round.

Although I am not a rich guy, when it comes to firearms I have a tendency to buy what I want if I can come up with the money without mortgaging the house or going into debt. When I retired the 2nd time, my wife told me that she would buy me any firearm that I wanted. I bought a Pedersoli "Old West" 1874 Sharps in 45-70 caliber. For what I paid for it I could have come close to buying 3 AR-15's, but it's WHAT I WANTED. It may not be practical, but it is something that I wanted to buy, and frankly I could care less what someone else thinks about it.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I wasn't aware that weapons that are made today are ever so much more accurate then those made 50 years or so ago. I guess I was deluding myself when I thought that my M1903-A3 was more accurate then my Remington 700...... I have never considered my Ruger 10-22 a particularly accurate .22 but then it is over 25 years old so maybe that was before they used modern techniques to make it super accurate. I have a Winchester 52 inherited from my Grandfather and IT is what I consider an accurate .22 rifle, but then although I can see the advantage of being able to throw allot of rounds down range, I am also the kind of guy who puts a great deal of importance on being able to hit what you are shooting at with 1 round.

Although I am not a rich guy, when it comes to firearms I have a tendency to buy what I want if I can come up with the money without mortgaging the house or going into debt. When I retired the 2nd time, my wife told me that she would buy me any firearm that I wanted. I bought a Pedersoli "Old West" 1874 Sharps in 45-70 caliber. For what I paid for it I could have come close to buying 3 AR-15's, but it's WHAT I WANTED. It may not be practical, but it is something that I wanted to buy, and frankly I could care less what someone else thinks about it.
I said for $900 you could build a hell of a 10-22, a Marlin model 60 will generally outshoot one from the factory.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Rifles made today are inherently less accurate, which is why the sniper divisions of most law enforcement departments are still using M1903 Springfields.

This argument could easily be won or lost by either side, dependent on who's doing the debating. I'm not actually on the side of modern weapons, nor am I on the side of classics, I'm just saying it's a never ending circular debate. Just like DI vs GP, or .338 vs .300, or butter vs margarine.

That being said, I have no experience with the rifle in question. $900 seems extremely steep to me for something in .22lr, but maybe it's got some serious heritage and that I could understand.

·
Administrator
15,422 Posts
GunsAmerica has one from the limited production run made from 1993 to 2002 "at thousands of dollars less than an original pre-1964 52B". Their price? $975.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
RPD? Got a link? 1993 to 2002? I did not know the 52 was made that late - I thought they stopped in the 1960's?

GunsAmerica has one from the limited production run made from 1993 to 2002 "at thousands of dollars less than an original pre-1964 52B". Their price? $975.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The rifle was sold before I could pull the trigger. Oh well - it was not meant to be. I had some nostalgia towards it - I admit. One of my biggest regrets was signing a piece of paper at age 21 that enabled the local school district to terminate an indoor range where rifles like this were shot on a 50 foot range. I learned to shoot at that range, did my hunters safety there at age 10, and it was founded by my grandfather. My signature was needed by the school since I was the last and only member. I should have held out.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Rifles made today are inherently less accurate, which is why the sniper divisions of most law enforcement departments are still using M1903 Springfields.

This argument could easily be won or lost by either side, dependent on who's doing the debating. I'm not actually on the side of modern weapons, nor am I on the side of classics, I'm just saying it's a never ending circular debate. Just like DI vs GP, or .338 vs .300, or butter vs margarine.

That being said, I have no experience with the rifle in question. $900 seems extremely steep to me for something in .22lr, but maybe it's got some serious heritage and that I could understand.
Most sniper divisions of law enforcement are using the Remington 700 for their sniper rifles. I happen to own both a 700 and a 03A3 and shoot slightly smaller groups from the Remington than from the 03A3 using the same sights. Both shoot sub-MOA groups.
Factory made target 22's have had their day as the public would rather have a semi-auto than a bolt action today. I have a Remington 581 that had three different factory options. They made a target version, a sporter version and a smoothbore version. I own the sporter version and wish I could find the trigger group for the target version because that and the stock were the only difference. Mine is accurate enough to out shoot every 10/22 in the silhouette competitions at the range and the second place shooter is using a bolt action too. Today's guns aren't necessarily more accurate or less accurate but I can tell you that I outshoot every 10/22 and there are some very nice modified 10/22s on the line. Fancy beavertail stocks target barrels and triggers and Nikon or Leupold scopes and my old gun out shoots most of them 2:1. I am not a target shooter and never have been but when shooting off hand standing without a sling or any bracing it is shooter against shooter and the rifle is going to be more accurate than the shooter every time. That is not to say a good rifle doesn't make a difference rather that the shooter is the biggest variable.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I don't have any experience with that particular firearm. I'm just happy to read all the replies and find an intelligent discussion regarding firearms, marksmanship and training. Thanks to all of you.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I'd love to own a Winchester 52B $900 does seem a little high though. There's a few that have sold on Gun Broker in the $700-800 range, probably a wash after shipping and transfer fees though. These were super accurate rifles and they have an excellent reputation, someday maybe one will fall in my lap.

-Infidel

·
Administrator
15,422 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.