Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have seen a lot of people over the last couple of years both here and on a few other sites that think they will be able to survive after the s...t hits the fan in their homes in the cities. I have given this a lot of thought and my answer would be NO. First , you would have to survive the angry looter phase, which the largest part would be from a couple of days to a couple of months.
Then you would have he tougher and more careful scroungers going from building to building looking for anything that they could use.
So you have a larger then most back yard and you think that by planting a garden , it would provide you with enough food to keep you and your family going over the long winter months. Not possible. You can not grow enough food to provide for a family of say 4 in a city back yard to keep you going.
Even if you have a very large back yard, it would most likely fall prey to :"scroungers:" Keep in mind , that even if you have a two year supply of food stored, you would give yourself and your food away when you start cooking it. If you went outside, sooner or later, you would be spotted by someone else.

Water in the city afterwords would be a major concern.

Sewage would be yet another major concern

By any realistic standards , anything less then two fertile cleared acres would be a waste of your time and resources. Do you living in the city have two plus acres of good fertile land to plant and tend ? Not likely. If your one of the even less fortunate ones living in an apartment building, even less of a chance.

To survive a long term whatever, you need good fertile land, all year source of good clean drinking water and irrigation water, and method of sewage disposable.
\
So , all you people living in the city, give a lot of thoughts to your current plans to wait it out in the cities.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
..To survive a long term whatever, you need good fertile land, all year source of good clean drinking water and irrigation water, and method of sewage disposable. So , all you people living in the city, give a lot of thoughts to your current plans to wait it out in the cities.
Yeah,I'm no expert but i've made a list of what a place in the country MUST have in my opinion-
Good solid bear-proof cabin with window shutters.
Well concealed among trees in a fairly lowland area (will be warmer than mountains in winter)
Near deep running water (for drinking water and fishing, and to carry away slops and sewage)
Big thick woods nearby for hunting and trapping.(not that i know how to do that stuff, but hopefully i'll get a little group together with an expert in it).
Good fertile open land nearby for growing crops.(again, i know zilch about it but hopefully my group will have an agriculturist in it).
Fairly near the coast so we can do trips to collect assorted edible cockles and mussels and things from rockpools, and bring seawater back to extract valuable salt from it.

This cabin pic on the net looks reasonably good, but the glass windows are too big and unprotected, anything could smash its way in!
The river seems too shallow to have many decent fish in it, but at least it's better than no river.
Nice thick woods hiding the cabin, but I dunno if there's any open land nearby for growing crops.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is what I think in your shoes I would do. I would take my weekends, and start driving towards the country area , not using more then 1 full tank of gas.
Then from there , I would start looking around at rural and I mean rural property for a few acres, with no improvements and see if it could be suitable for me and mine.
From there, I would put the minimum down I could, in order to keep any and all of my hard cash still available.
Next, after the closing, I would buy a conex or shipping container, and have it transported to MY new property. Then, if you have a small hill, and some more avail. cash, hire a local backhoe owner and operator to come and do a cut slash into said hill. Have him drag the container into the slash and back fill all possible other then the entrance.
Next, I would replant a few small fast growing trees to conceal the entrance to the container.

Now, you have a concealed place , fairly secure to start stocking your nec. items to sustain life, it is yours so less likely of anyone trying to build a house there,and also better sleep at night.

Now, you have a place to put things, you own the land, and now you can start looking for work in the local area. Should you find a job, then you can buy an older single wide mobil, sometimes really cheap and have that taken to your property and set up. Pop in a septic tank and you are almost there. Now as you get settled, you can start buying some solar gear and that will make a real difference in your lives.

Next thing, is , late fall , hire someone with a garden type tractor, that is, someone with a working tractor for farming etc. Much different then construction type equipment.
Till the land and lt it sit until spring, and at that point, start planting your food garden. Plan it out carefully and you will sustain far better then before you ever left the city. No, you most likely will not make the money you were making in the city , but on the other hand, you won't need as much either. Life will get better after a year or two of learning and loseing on farming. They always come together
If you think that 1/4 of your tillable land will give you enough potatoes , then plant more. You will lose some to varmits, and weather and it is just somehting that happens. Part of life. But you will have made a plan , followed it, and much better off for it to survive what ever comes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts