Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, I am a long time off grid homesteader, survivalist and author and I am curious if people are planning to shelter in place in an emergency or do you have a bug out plan ?

Without going into personal detail where would you go in a national emergency or disaster that forces you to leave your home and are you preparing for that ?

LaMar

·
Registered
369 Posts
Our plan is to bug in. If our place becomes uninhabitable, and extremely dangerous we will bug out, but not to a shelter. Love your place. It looks awesome!

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
I saw your video on YouTube; Very Nice! I have too many kids at home (6 of them, 5-15) and two out of the house (one is pregnant) so not much chance of bugging out. We'll have to shelter in place. However, If I absolutely had to leave, we would head to the Olympic Mountains about an hour away and go from there. Kids eat up all of the cash so I'm no where near where I would like to be for preps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Love the house, Personally I would do something about that antenna though. We are Buggin-in. If my home were to become uninhabitable I wouldn't be going anywhere,,,,,I'd be done for anyway.
We the (HTP) group family are buggin here, So, short of a nukem we shouldn't have to go anywhere. ::rambo:: ::saber:: :lol:

·
Registered
433 Posts
Same for me. Bugging in along with my family and supplies.

·
Registered
19 Posts
For me and my family, it depends on the situation. We live within a couple hundred yards of a giant abandoned big box store. It became a FEMA center during Hurricane Katrina. In the situation that a crowd would become uncontrolled and we move into WROL, I think we we still try to bug in to defend ourselves and our property (and supplies).

When Hurricane Rita came around, we choose to Bug out. We should have stayed in town, as the Hurricane turned to the East, but we didn't have much time to decide.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
I'll be doing whatever the situation calls for. My appraisal of this area is not good though, this place will be riots and bodies in the roads within 24 hours as I estimate it. That being said I have a moderate amount of food water and all the gear I need to take off and retrofit a small cabin or structure of that nature with stuff and supplies and power. Just got my hands on a better BOV so luckily I won't have any problems getting along the trails and carrying all my preps. My pal and me have extensive crop and livestock operations, that will do as a start for the bugging in I suppose.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I want to bug in, however, I worry that if things get really bad, that we will have to bug out. I live in a two family home, one way up the front and one way up the back.. not difficult to protect, but if we really tick off someone who wants up, whos to say they wont burn us out. Ill be adding emergency ladders to 3 locations in our home that will get us out if that is the case.

In the mean time, I am looking into getting a trailer that I can hitch to the back of my truck.. if my neighbor will allow me (as we live in a more rural area), I will keep the trailer in his drive or in his garage if its not too run down. (the garage would be perfect.. most wont bother with it) In the event things get out of hand, the trailer will already be stocked and locked up good.. we just need to hitch and go.. I personally plan on driving to the mountains if at all humanly possible.

bigdogbuc said:
Kids eat up all of the cash so I'm no where near where I would like to be for preps.
I hear you.. thats why I have been using coupons to help me get smaller things.. I have an older daughter 2 hours south of me, and a step son who lives outside the house.. in the mean time, I have a 12 year old and a 7 month old.. oh and my husband..trust me, I hear you. I would love to chat with you about bobs and such.. :) If you want.

·
Registered
693 Posts
bug in, and i love your casa man! Glad that fire didn't wipe it all out!

·
Registered
18 Posts
The ideal situation for everyone would be to bug in but I feel because of the number of grocery stores within a two mile radius of my home will bring too many hungry people to my door looking for food when the store was empty

·
Registered
13 Posts
Stay in place for me. We are in a rural area that would likely not be stampeded with "looters". I have a wealth of food around me..especially since I just found that old apple orchard.

Worse case scenario we could take off on our horses or ATV's for higher ground until we reclaimed our house.

I have also been thinking of ways our Goose neck 18ft long horse trailer could be converted in emergency scenario's. To make it a mobile- armored -supplies- camper.
ex: Put a mattress in the goose neck section to sleep. by leaving the livestock slats open, you can shoot out the sides for protection. A couple chains and padlocks, nobody could mess with ya while sleeping. Heck they probably wouldn't even see ya up there or expect ya to be there, etc.

·
Registered
84 Posts
We will be bugging in. I have children, grandchildren and my parents are in no shape to travel. I live a couple miles out of town and have a few acres and while it's not ideal, i believe me and my family will do better staying put!

·
Registered
93 Posts
jack.of.all.trades said:
I'm definitely bugging in. I'll go down in a blaze of glory protecting what's mine.
Me too! I am the bug out location for all of my immediate family. I have 4 daughters and a grand daughter. They including BFs will head straight here from Town as I am rural. Then we do our best to protect it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
We're planing on buggin in, our high rise is the only one in our town and I think it'll be a good fortress if indeed I can fortify it before fortification is needed, we are however three hours drive from the closest town so bugging out will be a long journey which could backfire in the long run. But we are preparing for the possability of bugging out in a hurry.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Best plans are for bugging in. We live in semi rural area & have a good amount of supplies here. Worst case is having to bug out to our place in the mountains. It takes a min. of 2.5 hrs to get there on a good day & have to travel thru a city (no real way around it) so that would be a second choice. Better chance of living off the land up there though. Might make that a long term SHTF location.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts