Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from West Virginia!
I've been browsing around here for a while and recently jined up. Born country so prepping was a way of life since before it had a name.
Short term, anyway. Lately I've been prepping for longer term and building in some redundancies. I'm looking forward to learning more from the fine folks here!

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Welcome sir!

Several years ago I had a contract in your neck of the woods - Huntington, WV. That is a BEAUTIFUL area.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Welcome from Texas. It's a process, but the trick is to stay the course and not get caught up in trying to do it all at one time.

·
Banned
21,290 Posts
Welcome!
In Dec 2009 right before Christmas we were headed to Snowshoe, WV for some skiing and got caught in the big blizzard that dumped 25+ inches of snow on WV that day. Got stuck on I 77 and I 64 along with many others and at one point met some employees of the Greenbrier who were stuck in traffic by us. The Greenbrier for those that don't know is a very upscale resort that had a secret bomb shelter that was built to safely house Congress in case of a nuke. The employees said that the Greenbrier was helping out stranded people and taking guests in for a ridiculous low rate of $50 because of the blizzard. Anyway, we made it to the Greenbrier that night and got one of the last rooms. We made it to Snowshoe the next day and the place was absolutely postcard gorgeous and the skiing was fantastic.

We learned a lot about being prepared that trip and witnessed many "sheep" who simply waited for someone else to help them. But we also saw hundreds generous acts and did our best to help others nearby too. At one extremely treacherous place on the interstate their was two young men with a tow truck and plow helping every vehicle one by one make it up the incline. Cars were backed up and these two guys helped car after car. It was our turn and we made it with help from these guys. I stopped and asked how much I owed them and they said nothing. I gave them what I had and shook their hand. They were just 2 guys helping, not government or anything just 2 local guys. We hear about a lot of bad things but I always try and remember some of the positive. WV has some damn good people if you ask me.

·
Administrator
15,422 Posts
Welcome from Florida

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Hello and Welcome!!

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Welcome from Montana. I had a friend that was workin up in West By God Virginia and a buddy of mine and myself would go up every few months to visit and party. That was when I was still livin in Florida... It is BEAUTIFUL country... Do you know the mating call of a West Virginia girl??? Shake an asprin bottle... She will think it is oxycotin and come runnin...J/K There was a lot of pain pill stuff goin on though. And us being from Florida, a lot of people thought we were there for pill trafficking but we were just there to screw around with a friend.. Whenever we would go out and people found out we were from Fl. It's like we were a people magnet until they realized the only stuff we had was whiskey and Absinthe...

It was funny, we went to a few Marshal games in Huntington and had a great time. The first game we went to we get to the window and they actually had tickets which isn't going to happen at UF. And the prices were awesome. I'm talking $25-50 a ticket. Anyone that has ever been to a Gator game knows how expensive they are there.. And Marshal was always a great team to watch. Polite fans and everything. It was always a trip I looked forward to.. WV is a great state IMO...

·
Banned
2,112 Posts
Welcome from Washington.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.