Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Administrator
14,707 Posts
I am well stocked on rifle ammo.
Caliber 30 M2 Ball, 7.62X39, 7.62X54R, Caliber 30 M1 Carbine, 7.92X57JS (aka 8MM Mauser), 30-30, 30-06.
For varmints after my chickens, a varmint caliber - 5.56 NATO.:tango_face_smile:

My handgun ammo is for fun shooting, mostly.

·
Registered
12,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I am well stocked on rifle ammo.
Caliber 30 M2 Ball, 7.62X39, 7.62X54R, Caliber 30 M1 Carbine, 7.92X57JS (aka 8MM Mauser), 30-30, 30-06.
For varmints after my chickens, a varmint caliber - 5.56 NATO.:tango_face_smile:

My handgun ammo is for fun shooting, mostly.
Hell of a waste of ammo these days. I had occasion growing up where I would shoot a wild dog or two coming off wild life refuge land and going after my dad's rabbits that he bred and raised. .22 usually worked. game warden suggested we do what we did. Dad usually got most with his traps though.

·
Registered
11,795 Posts
I definitely lean heavy on my rifle ammo. After all, when it gets serious that's what I am going to have in my hand. I am well stocked on handgun ammo to be sure. But my long rifle ammo is where I concentrated my efforts. I am good to go in either case.

Reactions: RedLion and SOCOM42

·
Registered
6,053 Posts
Beware the man with only one rifle.

Cause I can't carry a rifle inside IWB or my jacket pocket.

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
I have not shot any of my own ammo in so long I don't remember when.

Earlier this week I went through 50 rounds each of 9MM and 30 Tokarev, both customer guns and ammo.:tango_face_grin:

This coming week it will be some 7.62X39 and 380 so far.

I still need to get off my ass and cut my FAL barrel down, going to 18 inches on it I think, at least to 20.

Need to get this done before thing start to happen, can live without it done but better with it done.

Preparations are a never ending battle of enhancements.

·
Administrator
14,707 Posts
Hell of a waste of ammo these days.
What is?
Shooting for fun?

I began buying ammo every week about 10 years before retirement. I won't run out in my lifetime.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Like most of you, I have storage space in my gunroom. You never know when it will be useful. To that, I often wonder where I will be when Barney Fife greets me at the door with a warrant.

Think of all the times we take our trucks out for camping or nature trails or just a simple vacation. Sure, I carry a few clips of ammunition, but I'm finding I'm carrying less and less. The worst thing I can imagine during duress is finding myself trapped. Viewing a situation like that the prudent thing would be to move quickly out of that area.

Ergo, I'm not a big fan of Hollywood gunfights. One of the old gun magazine gurus opined that your ammunition should be divided into groups of threes. One set to stave off the attack, one set to find better safety, and the third set to safely arrive outside the area of this attack.

For this, I've come to the idea of revolvers and HKS clips. I don't think I'll be doing a "run and shoot" with my 1911s. In fact, my first opinion of an attack is getting out of the "hot zone" without firing a shot. There will be enough wasteful and errant chucks of lead flying around to scare everyone.

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
9,080 Posts
I'd tend to agree. The saying is "use your pistol to get to your rifle". Hope I never have to do that.
In a state of revolution against tyranny, the correct phrase ends up being "use your pistol to get to ANY rifle".
That's the idea behind the original "Liberator" pistol. It was intended to be dropped into occupied territories, concealed on the person, and used point-blank to kill an enemy soldier and equip oneself with the soldier's gear.

I stock pistol calibers deep because that might be the only option left when overt resistance (openly carrying a rifle) is stomped out.
I stock rifle calibers deep for the interim.

·
Registered
12,445 Posts
Of course having adequate supplies of rifle ammo is important, but Sonia shot Gina NF pistol IMHO. All three need practice as well as resupply.

·
Registered
12,445 Posts
Of course having adequate supplies of rifle ammo is important, but Sonia shot Gina NF pistol IMHO. All three need practice as well as resupply. It would be a real problem to run short.

·
Administrator
14,707 Posts
Of course, there are those who have an M1 Carbine, and a Ruger Blackhawk in 30 Carbine. :tango_face_smile:

I've got enough single action revolvers now, but if I ever got another it would be a 30 caliber Blackhawk.:vs_coffee:

Reactions: Camel923

·
Registered
248 Posts
Well I'd rather not list all of them. I have several AR and AK platforms including a few bullpups, some pistol caliber carbines, various bolt guns, and several rimfire rifles.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I tend to go the other way. I have more handgun ammo. Think about DGU's. The vast majority are with handguns. I also go with handguns because, at my age, the grayman approach is the only sane option. Easier to hide a handgun and extra mags than even an AR pistol with a couple of extra mags.

·
Administrator
14,707 Posts
Well I'd rather not list all of them. I have several AR and AK platforms including a few bullpups, some pistol caliber carbines, various bolt guns, and several rimfire rifles.
The correct answer should be "I don't really know, off hand. I'd have to consult my book listing serial numbers to be sure how many." :tango_face_smile:

21 - 40 of 40 Posts