Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Ya, it's been a long struggle with off and on success for me. Hell, just thinking about the cost and where else the funds can be used ought to be enough, but it's a tough monkey to get off of your back.

The best mindset I can recommend is to remind yourself that tobacco has a controlling interest in your life, and no one needs that.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
When you decide that you want to quit, . . . MORE, . . . than you want to smoke, . . . you will quit.

Until then, . . . you'll flick the bic.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
41 Posts
Smoking 37 years from 1/2 pack to 2 packs over the years ..

Well i have been to the Pulmonary Dr. 3 times this month and still waiting for some answers.. I noticed i was becoming short of breath doing little things like bending over to petting the dog.. I not overweight . So here i am with this QUIT smoking or suffer.. Sorry to say it's just not that easy for everyone.. I am down to 2 smokes a day for a week now so maybe next week it will be 1 per day ... I tried that Chantic (sp) to quit smoking it worked for a while but made me a little crazy so i stopped taking that ... All you can do it try a little less per week will help..

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Smoking is bad for you health, financial tactical and personal performance. The only one who can choose for you to quit is you. Others can provide support and encouragement but it will only happen on your terms.

·
Registered
634 Posts
This is something I have been struggling with for the last few years, I know I need to stop smoking. But everytime I think I am ready it just does not happen. something I have been struggling with alot lately. It has a pretty good grasp on me. I have been smoking for about 20 years now. not something very easy to do.

·
Registered
43 Posts
This is something I have been struggling with for the last few years, I know I need to stop smoking. But everytime I think I am ready it just does not happen. something I have been struggling with alot lately. It has a pretty good grasp on me. I have been smoking for about 20 years now. not something very easy to do.
Im in the same boat. Its something I want to do and need to do. My Wife doesnt smoke so its somewhat better to know she wont be doing it while I am trying to quit. But everytime I seem to get the motivation and mind set to do it something major always seems to happen to stress me out where I ended up fallen back on to it. Although I shouldnt use those senarios as excuses I still never end up quiting.

·
Administrator
15,108 Posts
I smoked 2-3 packs per day of unfiltered Camels for almost 30 years, until I just could barely breathe in the morning when I woke up. I tried the taper-off method, it didn't work; the only medical product at that time was the prescription nicotine gum which didn't work for me either.
I just did it cold turkey. That was 20 years ago, and I don't miss them one bit.
I just hope I stopped in time.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Right there with you all. I quit for four years and started back up a year ago, stressful situation. Only took a year to get back to feeling the way I felt after I smoked for 13 the first time. It takes a while to get your lungs back. Worst part is, I watched my mom and three of her immediate family members die from smoking within 5 years of each other. Smoking is one tough nut to crack!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I smoked steadily from age 15 thru 30. I quit and relapsed several times. My relapses were blamed on stress but stress didn't buy the smokes smokes didn't improve the situation. You have to look in the mirror to find a solution. However it may help to look at loved ones who share your smoke. Praying for your success. God bless you all.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Well I started smoking about 16 and stopped September 9th of this year. The last 10 years I was smoking a 1/4 to 1/2 pack a day. Then September 9th I started coughing up blood and was in the hospital Sept. 11 having a biopsy on my lungs after a couple of CT scans. Now I have lung cancer with a 90% chance of beating if I don't smoke anymore which I haven't. I spoke to the doctors overseeing my chemo and radiation treatments and all agreed that E-Cigs where safer than even the patch or gum. At any rate I started with e-cigs using 18mg of nicotine and 2 weeks ago I'm no longer adding the nicotine. So the hardest part for me has been the hand to mouth, see smoke habit. Starting Wednesday I will be at the half way point in my treatment and will tell you it isn't pleasant at all.

·
Registered
24,403 Posts
Well I started smoking about 16 and stopped September 9th of this year. The last 10 years I was smoking a 1/4 to 1/2 pack a day. Then September 9th I started coughing up blood and was in the hospital Sept. 11 having a biopsy on my lungs after a couple of CT scans. Now I have lung cancer with a 90% chance of beating if I don't smoke anymore which I haven't. I spoke to the doctors overseeing my chemo and radiation treatments and all agreed that E-Cigs where safer than even the patch or gum. At any rate I started with e-cigs using 18mg of nicotine and 2 weeks ago I'm no longer adding the nicotine. So the hardest part for me has been the hand to mouth, see smoke habit. Starting Wednesday I will be at the half way point in my treatment and will tell you it isn't pleasant at all.
Joey, you are still on my prayer list. Actually, at the top. I've learned a lot from you at the boards.

I quit about a decade ago. There's never been any indication that they were hurting me. No cough, breathing problems, no endurance problems, etc. The addiction is what finally got me so mad I decided to endure the withdrawal process. I got tired of having to stop whatever I was doing so that I could go out and smoke. The only alternative was to dip, and having to carry a spit container was just as bothersome. I finally got mad. The anger was stronger than the pleasantness of the nicotine. I quit cold turkey, as they say. The withdrawal as unpleasant. Depression, insomnia, rage...but all that was temporary. After a couple weeks, the monkey was off my back and I was fine. Nobody got hurt in teh process, either! :lol:

On the other hand, I figured I'd better kick the caffeine monkey in the head when I came down on orders for survival school. That monkey tried to squeeze my head into submission. Never had headaches like that before, and this is coming from someone who fell head-first off a 13 ft high load of particle board. :yellowshippingconta
I would suggest weaning off that stuff.

·
Banned
608 Posts
I smoked for 35 years, not smoking now for 6 years. I still think of myself as a smoker. I know just one and I'd be back at the 2 packs a day hell.
Same thing with myself I always told my friends if we were at a bar and they caught me smoking (after I had quit of course) they could hit me :lol: I think once you quit and get the nicitone out of your system it's just the mindset that is your challenge. To anyone who is struggling with quitting then picking up the habbit again it's a sign that you are not fully in the right mindset to STAY quit.

What really helped motivate myself to quit smoking after 5 years was coming across a video explaining how the "benefits of smoking" are actually NEGATIVE's!!!! Let me explain it quickly.

Smoking relaxes you... FALSE smoking nicotine increases your body dependency on that drug! meaning your body get's nervious when the drug is not in your body stream! the feeling of becoming relaxed is ONLY because you are used to injecting that drug into your blood stream (via smoking) Your body is dependent on that drug and freeing your body from depending on that drug will lower your costs (because the drug is not needed) and decrease your dependency! plus in a SHTF event unless you live next to a tobacco field do you think your gonna have a supply? ;) Might be easier to give it up now than in a SHTF event so THEN in the event you can have a clear and focused mind! :)

Social aspects of smoking are again negative. You don't NEED to smoke to be able to communicate with other smokers. Plus if you are a smoker and your smoking your discouraging NON-smokers from communicating with YOU! As there is not by far more NON-smokers than smokers these days so your socialization decreases with smoking!

Any other "benefit" of smoking feel free to let me know... because I will shoot it down 6 different ways before it can fall to the ground ;) Maybe I am over the top on this subject but I have a passion for this topic because I'm glad I had people to encourage me when I was going through it... I can't tell you how wonderful it was just to talk to sombody who went through the same dam thing and to be able to say "it's just so F*in hard!" sure did help me!

There was a point in my life I would do anything for a pack of Camels Turkish Jades! Being that they discontinued them did help me to quit a bit ;) But I know they still sell them in cigar shops or at least a few years ago they did. Either way keep on trying and ALL of you who want to quit need to plan it! you have to be in the right mind set!!! I honstly think having the right mindset is 75% of it while dependency on Nicotine itself is only 25%

Having the right mindset is what will make or break your attempt to quit or define if in fact you will quit for good! Think of any reason why you should continue to smoke! Go ahead I dare you ALL to think of any reason you should smoke (long term reason) Because when you realize there is not a f***ing reason at ALL that you should continue you will start to progress to the correct mindset and be ready to quit. Like building your muscles once work them enough they will be stronger!

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I smoked from age 15 to age 36. I quit cold turkey, never missed the cigarettes - it was easy for me. My dad went through withdrawals - went completely backwards on his moral code to sneak cigarettes. My brother is one of the strongest willed people in the world but he can't quit. At 46 I picked up a pack of cigarettes and smoked for five years. I put them down and walked away. I never had any withdrawals. At 56 I started smoking again - when I get tired of them I will quit again. It isn't hard for me to quit - never has been. I do have to want to quit but once I decide then I don't miss them.

Some people get addicted to cigarettes and some don't - I take after my mom. She could put them down and walk away too and never showed any sign of withdrawal. She died of old age at 87. She didn't have any health problems from smoking either. we had a friend who was never around smokers and never smoked a day in her life - she died at 82 from lung cancer. Go figure, if cancer is going to be part of your life you don't need to smoke to get it. If it isn't going to be part of your life then it won't get you. Smoking may contribute to the chances of getting cancer but it doesn't cause cancer. Too many people who smoke don't get it and too many people who don't smoke do get it. There is something else involved for sure.

Reactions: retired guard

·
Registered
855 Posts
joe, I'm sorry to hear about the cancer but I'm encouraged that you can beat it. I've been smoking since I was 14, that was 28 years ago, I smoked my last one tonight. I've tried off and on to quit for years and I've been planning this quit day for the last month or so. Your story has given me yet another reason to give them up. I watched both my parents die from smoking, Mom on 12/24/96 of emphysema (pneumonia is what finally ended it for her) and Dad on 12/25/06 from COPD and a large black spot on his lungs (cancer was never confirmed but we assume that's what it was). The last time I quit I was off them for 3 months using the patch, this time I'm going cold turkey and just get the worst of it over with quickly. If I need help with it I'll try the e-cigs but I don't think I'll need it. Thanks for the inspiration joe.

I have tried Chantix in the past but had to stop taking it due to the dreams, they were awful. I couldn't believe my mind could come up with some of that stuff, just out of control.

-Infidel

·
Registered
161 Posts
I just quit for the third time........I have not smoked in 12 weeks.

Reactions: indie

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I smoked 2-3 packs per day of unfiltered Camels for almost 30 years, until I just could barely breathe in the morning when I woke up. I tried the taper-off method, it didn't work; the only medical product at that time was the prescription nicotine gum which didn't work for me either.
I just did it cold turkey. That was 20 years ago, and I don't miss them one bit.
I just hope I stopped in time.
Yessir, . . . we would have done well on the same team. Camel straights was my choice of poison too, . . . every now and then I'd do a pack of Winston or Marlboro, . . . but always went back to the ugly horse with the hump on his back. Nice thing about that in the Navy, . . . few folks would bum a Camel, . . . loved them Salems and Winstons, . . . but shied away from the real ones.

My last smoke was on the first Saturday of August, 1985, . . . at a friend's house, . . . who was 6 weeks away from dying of lung cancer.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
If I smoked, I would quit just to deny the liberal's the tax money.

Reactions: indie
1 - 20 of 34 Posts