Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't get me wrong, I love the .22 but for inexpensive target shooting and more of a challenge on small game hunting but not for a emergency weapon. While a .22 can easily be deadly, I'd be scared to use it as a self defense weapon for the fact that if the other guy has a bigger gun.. your in bigger trouble and in a tense self defense situation your not the great shot you was at the range. I also understand the ammo is cheap but thousands of rounds for hunting and self protection really? your dreaming if you think you'll need that much in a lifetime unless you plan on target shooting after the world goes to hell which I wouldn't think think would be the best idea and the fact that you can get one for 150-250$ new.. I'd much rather get a shotgun that can use slugs for self defense, large game hunting and bird shot for smaller game and even traps are less time and energy consuming for hunting. Just my thoughts on the preppers that own several .22's, thousands of rounds of ammo and rely so heavily on it alone. really like to know what others think on this subject.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
22 as far as weight/rounds price you just cant go wrong i picked up a coupla thousand rounds tonigh paid 20 per block out the door. american eagle and its in 50 round blocks which are super cause i can put a couple in the kids pockets with out giving them a whole block for being cute...
i got me the back order blues and my 5320 of 22 was spose to be here on the jan 25, but they say now feb 25. what the heck. i have 4 kids that come round doing chores n stuff and i pay them in ammo bricks in what ever caliber of their choice. i went to by my older son an sr22 tonight this way he can still practice on the cheap but they didnt have it, so i got him an fs92 so hell quit asking me for mine. i cant dros it until feb 4th. but now its another ammo hoard he has to get. he'll waller in mine.
but its bought and paid for.

i have other calibers but being what it is... i took 5000 rounds of 223 to the local range tonight to loan them until next week they will give me 6000 back. it was heavy. my 9mm is heavier than my damn 223 ammo. and 40 &45 i hate buying cause i have to carry it home. i need a wheelie bar for my car. lol

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
22 as far as weight/rounds price you just cant go wrong i picked up a coupla thousand rounds tonigh paid 20 per block out the door. american eagle and its in 50 round blocks which are super cause i can put a couple in the kids pockets with out giving them a whole block for being cute...
i got me the back order blues and my 5320 of 22 was spose to be here on the jan 25, but they say now feb 25. what the heck. i have 4 kids that come round doing chores n stuff and i pay them in ammo bricks in what ever caliber of their choice. i went to by my older son an sr22 tonight this way he can still practice on the cheap but they didnt have it, so i got him an fs92 so hell quit asking me for mine. i cant dros it until feb 4th. but now its another ammo hoard he has to get. he'll waller in mine.
but its bought and paid for.

i have other calibers but being what it is... i took 5000 rounds of 223 to the local range tonight to loan them until next week they will give me 6000 back. it was heavy. my 9mm is heavier than my damn 223 ammo. and 40 &45 i hate buying cause i have to carry it home. i need a wheelie bar for my car. lol
That is why preppers love 223's I weighed a box of 1000 rnds of 9mm 115 gr and it was 27.2 lbs and 1000 rnds of 5.56x45 (223) 62 gr weighed 27.6 so for the same weight the 5.56 is about 3 times more powerful then the 9 mm, that is one reason I can't see why people buy 9mm carbines as the ammo isn't cheaper.

·
Registered
335 Posts
22 is one of the best. I have taken deer down with it. I have no doubt that I could drop a person without a problem. I feel that most people over do it with their firearms. I see them at the range shooting these giant over powerful weapons and I think it has a lot to do with ego. Bigger the toy, the better it must be, right?? Get to the range and practice. Now, if you are in a self defense situation, chances are you wouldn't grab a rifle. You would grab a handgun most of the time. Now if you are in a high position - like on your roof, and can see them coming from a distance, then you grab the rifle.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Why do preppers LOVE the .22 so much?
Well you know, it does so many damned things well, it ought to be a crime not to have one in your arsenal! In fact more times than not, its just what the doctor ordered! For the few things it does not excel in, if you do your part it will still manage to pick up the check at reasonable ranges. I am however with you on the fact that for self defense its misreably lacking on many levels. Granted its better than nothing but not but a whole lot when it comes to being graded as a fight stopper. Do understand though that unless they hit a trama plate they WILL penetrate a threat level IIIA vest and create quiet the problem for the wearer of the vest. Too, I dont think too many people are going to get in you face and talk too much in the way of smack when your pointing a 22 at them...I have never met anyone that wanted to be shot, even if its the demenutive 22 rim fire, but granted there are those that sometimes feel so over confident they are willing to try you on for size. Fortunately for society not to mention the gene pool, Darwin usually weeds them out. Its just a chambering thats way down on my list to grab first when the shooting starts. But for just about everything else...its the cats meow.

I own a couple of them and I am seriously considering adding yet one more to the collection! As cheap as ammo for it is...I have a gazillion rounds stashed away for a rainy day, despite the current "ammo drought" in progress. I didnt break the bank either in the process.

·
Registered
57 Posts
As has been stated the .22 does a lot of things well as long as you stick to the limits of the gun/round limitations. Is it the best SD round? No but I would not feel undergunned if that is what I had.

Things can be done with a .22 quickly and quietly that cannot be done with other calibers. The firearms are generally lighter, have a decent magazine capacity, low recoil so inexperienced shooters can generally handle them unlike larger calibers.

Shotlady I am handy with a lawn mower, gun repairs, Harley's and animals so get the chores list ready. I accept .22 and all other calibers as payment.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Alpinestar - I'm surprised you would have to ask that question. Do you have any experience with .223, 5.56, .224, 22-250?

·
Registered
21 Posts
In a purely survival situation you can't beat the versatility of the .22. The first gun I ever fired was a Ruger 10/22 when I was about five. They are just so easy. You throw in a BX-25 magazine and it's a fairly formidable weapon. I mean, it might not stop a bear, but it would probably turn and run the other way like most wild animals. Now if you throw combat into the mix and things are shooting at you, you're gonna want a bigger gun. Still, I wouldn't ever want to get shot, even with "just" a .22.

Reactions: shotlady

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Why a 22
ammo is the cheapest.
shoots a range of bullets in a rifle from the almost silent CB caps to 22 long rifle stingers 191 ft/lbs about the same as a 380 pistol
there is a lot more small game available when hunting then large deer size animals.
the gun of choise when teaching a child or someone about the basics of shooting.
still a good choice in home defense (who say you have to shoot a person just one time)
there is no recoil to speak of so you can virtually follow the game through the sites
The 22 ammo may be one of the best barter items as there are more 22 then any other gun.
Ammo is small and light and 500 rnd can be easily carried with a rifle which is usually lighter also.
just about ever type of gun is made in 22 cal. bolt, lever, semi, pump, revolvers.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Anyone seriously prepping a bug out bag knows that weight becomes an issue. You can handle 200 rounds of 22LR so easy in a bug out bag
and in many cases even the pistol is lighter. Of course its not the ideal defensive weapon but the ideal defense is not to even use your gun
at all but avoid any possible need for it. Hence lighter and faster is better. My bug out bag includes a 1911 9mm and magazines and just
one box of ammo. I also put a conversion kit (Kimber) 22LR in my bag and 200 rounds of ammo for it. So I'm armed with well over 300
rnds of total ammo for the weight of much less - even with the conv. kit. Besides if I need a rabbit or turkey the 22LR is so much easier
then the 9mm.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Some more food for thought: You find your self in a self defense situation. You are armed with, lets say a 45 semi auto, or even a double action .357 revolver. In a panic situation, most people will shoot, and continue to do so until the gun is empty. With each successive shot, the recoil raises your aim higher and higher, especially if you are only using a one hand grip.

Now, let's say you are armed with a .22 semi auto or revolver. There's very little recoil, and, in a panic point and shoot situation, that little gun is going to stay where you point it, one handed or not.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

·
Registered
466 Posts
The lowly little .22. Let me set you all straight on this much overlooked little gun. Back in the very early 60's I took an accidental hit in the chest area from a very long way off. A fly by if you will. The first thing , AFTER you manage to pick yourself up from the ground, is scream mommie and run for home. It takes all the fight right out of you. You have no desire to figure out where it came from or why, only getting out of there before another one could possibly hit you. What more do you need it to do anyway ?

·
Registered
634 Posts
I have read alot about the debates with the 22 vs everything else. This is basically how I have broken it down. Its like the difference between driving a compact car and a full size SUV. Ya both can get you from point A to point B. Ya the compact car is more economical but which would you rather been in a crash in, the compact or that big ol SUV. Me I will Pick the big ol SUV because it makes me feel alot safer. Ya it's going to cost me more but that security is worth it. Just my 2 cents.....

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
The big ole SUV isn't worth much when its out of gas though - just saying.

I have read alot about the debates with the 22 vs everything else. This is basically how I have broken it down. Its like the difference between driving a compact car and a full size SUV. Ya both can get you from point A to point B. Ya the compact car is more economical but which would you rather been in a crash in, the compact or that big ol SUV. Me I will Pick the big ol SUV because it makes me feel alot safer. Ya it's going to cost me more but that security is worth it. Just my 2 cents.....

·
Registered
634 Posts
If it comes down to the point where I am out of Ammo before things get back to normal, I got bigger problems to worry about. This is just one of those age old debates like Ford or Chevy, there is just no right answer that everyone is going to agree on :)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Some more food for thought: You find your self in a self defense situation. You are armed with, lets say a 45 semi auto, or even a double action .357 revolver. In a panic situation, most people will shoot, and continue to do so until the gun is empty. With each successive shot, the recoil raises your aim higher and higher, especially if you are only using a one hand grip.

Now, let's say you are armed with a .22 semi auto or revolver. There's very little recoil, and, in a panic point and shoot situation, that little gun is going to stay where you point it, one handed or not.

Just my thoughts on the subject.
Ive been told by many and I agree!! 1 .22cal on target is WAY better than 8 missed 45's!!

·
Registered
296 Posts
I agree with Nadja and wesley

Now for what Nadja says MOST times pulling out the lets say Taurus Model 94 (which my wife and I have) Its look alone is a deterrent but than you pull the trigger and its LOUD mines a snubby and loud!! The caliber isnt going to matter at all in most cases its going to scare the sh!t out of anyone!!

On Wesleys point I agree I feel safer with something that is seriously going to hurt! I had a couple friends when I was a youngster they were out shooting and one of them took a ricochet to the head! He was fine. . . I have also seen on several occasions a couple on shows like "Cops" for instance and twice in real life people (Bigger guys except one) take several rounds from the .22 and didnt even come close to slowing them down. They just kept coming!

As far as the .22 goes I see them stopping most anyone from the sight sound and it WILL hurt but personally I prefer something bigger.

As far as the OP goes I have a lot of .22lr and it will do great for small game and as been stated its super light to carry!! plus its a GREAT round to teach basics to people!!

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I think we can agree that there is no such gun that will equally satisfy all Survival Situations. If you use a 45-70, your rabbit meat is scattered over the meadow and a .17 Hornet is useless against a charging Rhino. That's the exact reason you let the mission dictate the load-out. Don't carry the things you don't need and don't leave behind those things you do need.

Having said that - I would say that most survival situations in the contiguous 48 would have use for a .22. It might not be the #1 best gun for any one scenario, but the fact that it makes the #3 position for most of them means that there is a certain adaptability that the lowly .22 can make into a useful survival gun.

Here are the two tricks with the .22 as with any other gun - PRACTICE & QUALITY AMMO.

The .22 ammo has deadly ballistics and can be lethal on large animals. The reason it is not considered for self defense loads is because of the unreliable nature of a rim-fire. They do not go bang with the consistency of a center-fire. They may still go bang 99 out of 100, but that 1% is still enough to call it into question. You can mitigate this risk by getting QUALITY ammo. CCI Mini-Mags are great. They do cost a little bit more but well worth it. They also perform GREAT out of a bolt action rifle that can keep all of the pressure in and not start venting it as part of the blow back recoil.

The second piece is PRACTICE. I don't care if you have an M1A in 308 with a 50 round drum mag. If you can't hit a water buffalo that is two car lengths away you are screwed. Using a .22 means you have a smaller target area to hit the vitals and you have to be choosy on the angle of the animal if it is large. If you can consistently hit a tennis ball at 50 to 75 yards, you are good. Inside a golf ball you are great. Aim small miss small - it sounds simple but it works. So does slowly is accurately and accurately is fast.

Is the .22 my favorite rifle? Nope.
If the SHTF is it my perfect weapon? Nope.
But it is the first one in the pack because it is a pistol and a rifle and it gets the job done in more situations than anything else - it is the all variety gun.

Reactions: shotlady

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Conversion Kits Rule,

I have a Kimber 22 LR conversion kit fipor my 1911. It's not very big, smaller than a box of ammo, and carrying it in my BOB allows me to carry something heavier for defense a d switch to 22 LR for which I have lots of ammo and would work best on small game. I can't recommend any other conv kits. I have a dedicated 22 LR upper for my AR which makes 200 to 250 rounds of practice about $15. It's not feasible for my BOB, but still there is great value.

In the case of a bug out I expect to be with a number of older people, inexperienced shooters, and in particular some women that have never used a gun. To defend our property I will want to train them, arm them and get "some measure" of defense from them. For this I collect old bolt action and semi auto tube fed 22 rifles. I've been getting them for years and probably have a dozen. They are cheap, easy to use, and in a crisis I expect the kids and women to use them to rain down their little bullets in an area that will benefit us all.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts