Personally im prepping and thinking of ways to save my family
because i dont trust the United stats government and i have found
many many reasons to fear them. I feel very strongly about my
Opinion but i would like to hear other peoples opinions on why
prepping is important. I will explain my thoughts and opinion
With whomever is intrested. I feel that we cant make are own
opinion in till we have gathered a great deal of insight of this topic
And i want as much info as i can get and i will share any info i have
that could help others make educated opinions.

So please state why your prepping and if you would like private message
me and we could have a discussion on this topic.

Please dont be rude or hurtful to people because they belief something
that you dont!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hey AJ!

I am from Canada and I have been prepping for a little while now. I am doing it for the protection of my family from anything. If its financial collapse, earthquake, war or whatever, I am taking steps so that my family have some sort of chance in any circumstance. I have re-learned most of the survival skills that I have learned growing up on a farm just in case as well. I dont obsess over it AJ, but I do put a little extra away in the budget each month to but supplies and food...about $40 sometimes a little more. It depends unless I see a new toy!!!.....

anyways, just my view.

·
Registered
24,529 Posts
There are too many things in the world that can cause serious problems for us, on an individual level. Between global tyranny (NWO), crazed maniacs willing to kill themselves to mess with us (Islamic organizations), attacks from technologically advanced enemies (Russia and China), Implosion of the economy (Thanks, Benanke!) and my in-laws, why wouldn't I prepare for something bad?

·
Registered
100 Posts
That is a very healthy attitude Denton. I agree 100%!!...there are so many things in this world that can and will go wrong. I can see North America turning into Greece really fast!! Who is gonna bail us out?..We the people, including here in Canada. Have bailed out the big 3 auto makers with our own hard earned tax dollars and the politicians reward us by giving the executives of these companies large bonuses to boot!! And we still pay a huge amount of money for these vehicles that in by right, we own a portion of anyways!!!...on top of all the other problems like you said with extremists...and yes they are here in Canada as well....and we also have in laws as well!!!.....I got rid of mine via separation so thats one less hassle!!!...lol

Just best to be prepared for whatever for whatever can happen. Educate others as well that saving for a rainy day isnt all that bad!!!....

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
..I dont obsess over it..
Yeah the healthiest attitude is not to obsess over Doomsday or you'll end up neurotic and no use to yourself or your family when it hits the fan..:)
If you're lucky, you'll be one of those people who'll actually ENJOY the challenge of surviving!
"I was happy in the midst of dangers and inconveniences"- Daniel Boone
"I love the fight, and when things are too easy I hate it"- Sir Ernest Shackleton, polar explorer

"I'm made for a time like now"- Jimmy Garland in a 'Survivors' episode, holed up in a cave being hunted by the bad guys in a post-Plague world.
(below at 4:25)

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
i prep for social unrest, earthquakes car breaking down... that tye of thing, as a renter in los angeles. i need to be able to get out of the city.
traveling over the grapevine often in the past and as a frequent road tripper i need to be prepared. the joke is ill have a 5 star resort and a 401k plan for my emplyees by the time they find me... but i think considering variables and being prepared is a good thing to do. for me, my roadtrip partner and my kids. i have a hard time being dependant on others... and the times when i have been dependant i found others to not be sufficient... probably basic distrust, realizing that i am a survivor... why be unprepared for life, gubmint and disaster. at least prepare the tools to make my survival easier.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I am prepping for a financial collapse as I believe our current economic path is unsustainable. Here is a little more detail on a financial collapse. Of course the things I do to prepare for that would also come in handy in a hurricane, earthquake or any other disaster.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Economic collapse is the most likely, however, with the islam idiots getting closer to more nuclear weapons, along with Pakistan already having about 80 on the top of the little pointy things that cover a lot of ground really quick like, it is also getting closer to the time to start the "duck and cover" routine all over again. Those younger folks out there that missed it, don't know what there missing. I remember Kennedy putting on little tv things to teach everyone to build a bomb shelter , store food and water, and of course to duck and cover, not that it would help much. But the crazies are getting closer and would like nothing better then to wipe out all civilized peoples of the world.

They of course live in a fantasy land, but just thinking that they can do it, could be a real problem for those of us not hit from an initial blast. The radiation following a nuke exchange would be very bad and for a lot more then a couple of years as some people think. Any nuke that hits the ground is what is considered to be a dirty bomb, and will propel radioactive particles of dirt miles into the atmosphere , only to rain down on the world over a slow period of time. It renders the ground useless for around 90 years or more. Everybody should read up on radiation to be a lot more prepared then they are. It will NOT go away in a couple of years. Just look at the west coast of the U.S. More radioactive there then in Japan where it is coming from. Oh yeah, maybe another apology trip will fix it. Either way though, it will be a very bad situation at best.

·
Registered
450 Posts
1st post:

I prep because I've had nothing before and know just how tuff that is. Today I'm doing very well and I am prepping for just-in-case because it will eventually come. I agree that it will likely be a financial meltdown (the good old USA, the world or maybe just my own personal finances) but it could be so many other reasons too.

I don't expect anyone to "take care of me" like so many do expect from our government. I believe in guns, ammo, food, shelter & supplies for barter. I know not all will agree with me however that is ok. I also know that you can't prepare for everything so I plan for weather calamities and social meltdown situations. I'm an outdoorsman at heart but I like many work and live around major metropolitan areas. I live on five acres in the country but the city is only 30 miles away - too close for me but I have to work:-D

1895gunner

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am on the economic collapse bandwagon. And with the way that our economic system has built the 1st world way of life, after a financial melt-down, and SHTF, the mass anarchy and civil unrest that would follow just seems inevitable.

But i feel that it doesnt matter what we are all preparing for, but just the fact that we are makes us ready for anything. Whether it be Economic collapse, natural disaster, or the zombie appocolypse, as long as u have the will to do what it takes to survive, then everything will work its self out eventually.

·
Administrator
15,448 Posts
My wife and I have been preppers for years, before Y2K anyway. Having grown up in South Florida (hurricane central) there are just certain things that are done naturally - extra canned food, bottled water, oil lamps, etc.
We have since moved to a more rural part of the state, but we still do the same things.
We get our back-stock supply of canned food depending on whats on sale. Coupons are a good thing as well. I buy rice by the 50# bag at the oriental grocery in the city. We keep chickens for the eggs, the wife has a vegetable garden and a canner. I don't hunt (having been the hunted gave me a slightly different view of it) but if that's all there was I would - there are squirrels, rabbits, deer, dove, quail, and turkey all around.
We have horses, if there comes a time there is no gasoline or diesel we can still have basic transportation.
We worked hard and did without a lot of creature comforts and today we have no mortgage, vehicles are paid for, we have not had credit cards in over 25 years. If we can't pay cash, we do without.
I'm glad that we are not young and just starting out in a world like we have today.
Just set a small goal, accomplish that, and set another goal. Accomplish that, and keep moving forward. Don't waste time and money on foolish stuff like big screen TV's and smart phones, fancy cars and such.
I'm just a dumb old truck driver and the wife is disabled, but I wouldn't change a single thing.

Reactions: MASQ and Denton

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
...i have a hard time being dependant on others... and the times when i have been dependant i found others to not be sufficient..
Yeah, Patton had no time for fools either, he had a healthy balanced mindset and was happy to follow good leaders, and he was also happy for others to follow him-
"Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way"
-General George S. Patton

·
Registered
466 Posts
As the days and weeks go on, it is looking worse and worse in the middle east. There are so many war ships in the st. of Hormuz, I don't know how they keep from bumping into each other as it is. I don't feel it will get better any time soon. Actually, I see it only getting worse. The chief of idiots, hasn't got a clue of what needs to be done, and if it breaks out, I hope the military would be smart enough to tell him to f... off and run it the correct way. Otherwise it will only escalate and quickly. This is the time to buy more food, especially the long term things you will need. If you don't already have things to eat now, you better get started soon.

Most of us can feel that it is building up. We of course have no real idea of what will happen or how it will really go down, but all probably agree, it is about to blow. Will it be a major shtf event ? The world is a very delicate house of cards. When one major thing hits, I think the rest will soon follow. If it is war, a lot of people think the gubernut will step in and take control, feed us and keep our i pods up and running. Even if they could, I don't plan on moving into a fema camp myself.

If war does break out, and it escalates as one normally does, the gubernut will make attempts with martial law. But don't think that will even last too long, as it depends on the national guard to make it work. Well, they would most likely need to be called up, as no real war is over in a "few weeks" They just don't work out that way. So, they get called to active duty out of necessity, and no more martial law. At best, then we pretty much only have each other to deal with. Now, is when you are really going to need long term preps. Knowledge to bake bread from scratch, and the ingredients to do it. You can almost live on rice and beans for quite awhile and I have plenty. After a few months to thin out the heard so to speak, then maybe we can get some sort of small village type system going. But most of them will disolve quickly from all the little wanna be Boss's trying to make everyone do as they see. Mini dictators if you will. Best thing , I could suggest is for small groups of friends making little safe area for themselves and avoid the sure to spring up mini kingdoms.

So, all you people out there, prep all you can. I do feel that something big, very big will indeed happen sometime very soon now.

·
Administrator
15,448 Posts
Agreed.
And those who are in cities - I understand the fact that a lot of us may live in or very near large cities. Do not immediately panic and think you absolutely must "bug out" to somewhere.
Keep preparing for the worst, hope for the best, and do not let your neighbors know what you are storing away.
I am amazed at those who try to "convert" their neighbors into preppers.
Buy non perishable foods; as nadja says learn the basics like how to bake your own bread (without a $200 electric breadmaker), etc.
Remember - a human being does not need to eat meat to survive, it just may become a luxury item.
There's an old Army saying that has truth to it - when the situation seems bleak, never give up, the next thing you try may change the outcome.

Reactions: nadja and Denton

·
Administrator
15,448 Posts
Yup. We had an acronym that summed it up. FIDO.
Knowing the GI mind, I think I figured it out. The DO stands for Drive On? And if that's the case, I know what the FI part is.:-D

·
Registered
466 Posts
For all of those that are preping for no matter what. Food is great, but do you have an alternate means of cooking your food ? If you living in an apt or house for that matter, don't think your going to grab the grill and pull it into your house and cook with it. It will most likely kill you from carbon monixide gas's. So what are you going to cook and how are you going to cook it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts