Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Avoid Wolf ammo

The True Russian version are the best made over all there are exception. The AK is a simple heavy tank of a weapon crude . But it works. So few parts so much play it just keeps working . If you buy one chances are it will be around two more generation they are heavy A little oil and cleaning if the threat is up close this affordable weapon will take care of you. But make you move there are those that want to band them and to stop the import of ammo.
SKS a cheaper issue weapon also copied by many. Most have a non removable Mag 5-10 round. But they can use and after market detachable mag but the are not user friendly and IMO not a good investment.
They can be coveted, that is not legal and requires cutting and welding not worth the effort. The SKS can be sporterized with some light weight stocks and turned into a fair deer rifle for a low cost. Another weapon that is simple and and just keeps working. They are not sniper rifle and never will be they are close range stoppers.
Adding scopes and sites to either the K or SKS can be a bit costly to do right requires changing a few parts, the short cuts ways are not every good. You can afford to stock a few extra SKS's they are cheap enough you can have a few spares. Clean put them away and take them out a year from now they will go right to work.
I started this it is a short basic post on the two. Now the fun starts all the exceptions to the rule the spin the hype. They are both fun weapons to shoot and are part of my security plan. j Just couple shots. Remember everyone of these started out as the same basic weapon as the one you can buy The ones here are Preban and have been in my hands for 30 years.
IF you can not secure it you don't own it your just holding if the next next owner.

Attachments

Reactions: shotlady

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
If I ever have to grab a gun, I'll be deciding between my AR and my SKS. I've been thinking this over a long time and still cannot come to a decision so I'll be standing there an hour when shtf. Thats how much I love the SKS.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I have to garb one and run no one has my back I am grabbing the AR. If the only thing I can get to is the AK or SKS it will do.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Not to start a tangent, but Whats wrong with Wolf ammo.... I shoot the WPA Polyformance FMJ 123 Gr. I have not had a problem with the ammo. They all go bang. and i had no problem consistently hitting a metal gong at 250 yards. I am shooting a Ruger Mini 30. the mini helps with the accuracy, but im satisfied with the ammo.
And at .20 cents a round they are like a sore dick. You cant beat it.

·
Registered
24,258 Posts
I've never been a fan of the SKS. I'm not against them, they are OK if that is what someone is comfortable with, I just prefer my MAC90. Son has an SK and he likes it.
I like my MAC90. It is the Clintonized weapon that has the thumb hole stock, the bayonet lug cut off and the cleaning rod hole brazed over. None of this concerns me. I do not like the kudzu-commando flimsy stocks people seem to think are tacti-cool and the heavy, wood thumb hole stock makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.
I like the AR rifles, always have. Never understood the people who always bad mouthed the M16A1 when I was in the army. I loved it. It never jammed for me and I could castrate gnats with it. I always figured the rifle simply wanted to punish lazy people who refused to take care of it.

It is natural to have favorites, but it is good tactics to be proficient with the majority.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I like AK's and SKS's for what they are, but this is still America and 7.62x39mm is not an American round. Our military, police and government agencies, and a large amount of the populace mainly use rifles in 5.56x45mm/.223. Mainly the M16, M4 and AR15 variants. An AK or SKS is a good rifle with characteristics of being tough and reliable while acceptably accurate for common ranges, but it still doesn't change the other part which is why I don't personally own any and it's no loss. If someone does though, they are good rifles with fairly cheap ammo to be had you can still stock deep. I don't think it's worth modifying an SKS with a extended magazine it wasn't designed for and feel it's just better to buy an AK as there still pretty cheap to get for a good quality rifle. About $500 and up in my experience. Less, you get less quality and more than likely a less reliable rifle. If you want cheaper than get an SKS and a ton of stripper clips and deal with the top feed rounds in a less capacity internal magazine in my opinion. But in the end, all my friends who've bought either always end up wanting an AR.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I've never been a fan of the SKS. I'm not against them, they are OK if that is what someone is comfortable with, I just prefer my MAC90. Son has an SK and he likes it.
I like my MAC90. It is the Clintonized weapon that has the thumb hole stock, the bayonet lug cut off and the cleaning rod hole brazed over. None of this concerns me. I do not like the kudzu-commando flimsy stocks people seem to think are tacti-cool and the heavy, wood thumb hole stock makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.
I like the AR rifles, always have. Never understood the people who always bad mouthed the M16A1 when I was in the army. I loved it. It never jammed for me and I could castrate gnats with it. I always figured the rifle simply wanted to punish lazy people who refused to take care of it.

It is natural to have favorites, but it is good tactics to be proficient with the majority.
The jamming in m16 that is blamed on the M16, comes from the first ones used in Vietnam, First Vietnam was a very corrosive atmosphere and they didn't chrome line the chamber and barrels, The army switched to ball type powder for a little more power but it was dirtier, Some where the Army got the Ideal that they didn't need cleaning and lubrication and they were shipped without any cleaning instructions or cleaning kit. They also had a insufficient twist rate in the barrel causing the bullet to tumble at long distances. All these problems have been fixed and if you look around the world you will find that countries with money armed their armies with M16 and the third world countries used AK47s.
They can take a lot of abuse and can fire until they are to hot to hold now.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Not to start a tangent, but Whats wrong with Wolf ammo.... I shoot the WPA Polyformance FMJ 123 Gr. I have not had a problem with the ammo. They all go bang. and i had no problem consistently hitting a metal gong at 250 yards. I am shooting a Ruger Mini 30. the mini helps with the accuracy, but im satisfied with the ammo.
And at .20 cents a round they are like a sore dick. You cant beat it.
Of all the import ammo out there one that has a buffer spring named after it The Wolf spring. Depending on what you shoot it in it may work ok . It is Lowest of low. Over all it is under powered. Iwould shoot if it was all I had.
I would not stock up on it with hopes of using it some day, nor would I count ion a zero when switch to other loads,.
Do not confuse Brown box WPA with Wolf Black box to different worlds. Also mimi 14 is more forgiving of light loads than other weapons

·
Registered
57 Posts
AK or SKS either or they both will do the same basic thing one have a fixed magazine and one a detachable other than that they are pretty much on par with one another. The SKS is a fine rifle and would serve well as a defensive rifle with the only limitation being the ammunition capacity.

I believe someone is now making an SKS that takes AK mags from the factory. Conversions to accept AK mags can have issues.

In regards to ammo. I carry an AK for a living and have used ammo from all over the world dating back to the 70's. Wolf ammo in whatever colored box it comes in has never failed. As stated it goes bang every time, is cheap and plentiful.

·
Administrator
14,872 Posts
I have both an AKM and an SKS. In my opinion they should be left as is - forget ninja tacticool things like scopes, red dots, magazines they were never designed for, Tapco plastic stocks, etc.
Both designs worked well in Vietnam, a lot of guys names are engraved on The Wall (Vietnam Memorial) in Washington by not only those two rifles but Mosin Nagants as well.
And as far as ammo, they were designed to work with steel case ammo, and I have out in my barn Romanian, Russian milsurp, Wolf; and for Armageddon a bunch of Chinese milsurp, steel core, loaded nice and hot, dated 1976.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had a beautiful '52 russian sks that I loved,and it worked great as issued,but I always used reloads.I am a Garand guy and have built and kept about 25 and I'm most comfortable with them but I've been carrying my M14 type a lot lately and it makes sense to have something that can use the same ammo as a currently used U.S.military firearm.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Well you know there's more 7.62x39 than most other rounds right? It is still the worlds most commonly found ammo even in the US. I would second that with 12ga and .22 and 9mm. I think it's going for 20 cents a bullet. Yeah, I got a spam can for 20c a round. 30-06 will also be everywhere.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
drobs, as I said before they have their place . Nice line up. Have you tested your drum? some of them need a bit of clean up to work well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
drobs, as I said before they have their place . Nice line up. Have you tested your drum? some of them need a bit of clean up to work well.
The drums work great. Gotta love having 75rds in each under no spring tension. Wind em up 6 or 7 turns and you're ready to rock.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I gotta say that when the SHTF I plan on grabbing my SKS. I feel comfortable with it and shoot it very well. I can reload with stripper clips pretty darn fast so magazine capacity is not such a huge problem. Would I like to have an AK, yes I would. However, I can't afford on at the moment, but if I can get one I darn sure will.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
My two cents.
I think whatever rifle you’re comfortable with is the best. I have taught hundreds of trainees to shoot the M4 and find it to be a fine rifle and very reliable and easy to teach a person to disassemble, clean, and reassemble. I like that magazines are affordable and ammo is readily available and a person can carry a lot of ammo. I found that its design is suitable for women and young adults to learn on and become proficient in. I carry an M4 at work and feel confident in its accuracy and reliability.
I own several AK’s and SKS’s and I love them because they are simple in design and rugged. I like the caliber. I believe they can be intimidating to new shooters or people who lack the muscular dexterity to work the action or find them to heavy. I find them to be accurate enough for their intended work and I’m highly confident that they will work. I use steel cased ammo in them with confidence but would never put steel cased ammo through a M4.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
It would be a tough call, I'd have to flip a coin. I opted for an AK instead of the SKS and just recently got involved with the AR platform. I also like the mini 14 and the mini 30.

Ok! I can't grab them all...and I'm bound to waste time trying to figure out which one...so I need a plan B...cause I don't think I can choose one and leave the rest...

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well in honor of Obama and Holder I added another to the stash.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts