Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering who has been raising livestock, not just for when the SHTF, but as a daily life style? Ive been thinking about getting a couple rabbits, since they breed fairly fast. Anyone have any other suggestions? Nothing too big, a little less than an acre to work with.

·
Registered
161 Posts
You could raise a few chickens on the amount of land that you have they are relatively easy to maintain. We only have 3 chickens right now (experimenting) however we have about 24 acres of land and raise sheep. We have 10 ewes that should be lambing within a month or so.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Chickens aren't to bad if you only have a few. Most chicken houses stink because they aren't cleaned properly. A chicken will die and go unnoticed among the many. Put a dead chicken in a closed space with an exhaust fan, you'll smell it.

Also a fun fact, you dont need a rooster to get your eating eggs. You only need a rooster if you want more chickens

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've been prepping with livestock since I was a kid in the sixties.

I highly recommend a book, just to get started, by the name of "The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Country Living." It has several great sections on different breeds, what breeds to choose, how to keep them - basic advice, but it'll give you a really good start plus it is loaded with other good information.

The book is worth every penny you'll invest in it - I promise.

Reactions: kel t

·
Registered
159 Posts
I live with my mom on school days and go to my grandparents on the weekend ( were close ) they have chickens pigs and cats to keep the mice down, of course i dont mooch off of them i help them do chore's and i feel that if the SHTF and i wasnt going to bug out, these chickens would be shared with me. I bought a pitbull the other month hes just a pup now but hes getting massive muscle wise. I would take him bugging out with me for hunting and defence.
-Anthony

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Right now the only live stock I am able to have and tend to at the moment is Florida White Rabbits. Local city regs dont allow for chickens unless you got at least a acre and then only a max of 6 hens which doesnt do much for you. The Regs dont say that about "pet" Khaki Campbell ducks though which might be my next endevor. Lots of folks here have water features and have a few ducks for ornamental purposes only so I could probably slide under the radar on that.

I would like to do chickens at the BOL but would have to figure out a way to keep the water from freezing in the winter months (about 3) and I would definitely have to make the coop predator proof in a major kind of way. All of which would be possible but probably more work than its worth. Chickens arent all that messy or smelly. A lot of the smell is due to improper cleaning and maintenance of the pen as well as poor ventilation.

I would like to do a lot more though...

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Chickens, Pigs, goats and sheep. We may end up with some cows but I really don't want to milk them Been there done that.
For their size Goats produce more milk when viewed from how much they eat you can get use to goat milk other parts of the world drink a lot more of it than cows milk.
Out here Rabbits and the like will are on their own they will do just fine in the field and on the line fences they always have.
Here live stock is nothing new it has been a part of most peoples life. We are only one generation off a largely farm economy here. The kids all grew up working with Grandpa on the farm doing things pretty much the cheap way. The boys made hay all summer ect so on that part we are in good shape.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have already asked the boss(wife) if I can have/raise chickens this spring and she has agreed. I went for rabbits also but that didn't fly. my sisters has a bunch of chickens and I have assisted her many times so I could learn the basics.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have chickens ducks and 2 doe goats. Goats are ok on a smaller lot you just have to feed them. Loaning them out to neighbors for brush removal covers some of this.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I live with my mom on school days and go to my grandparents on the weekend ( were close ) they have chickens pigs and cats to keep the mice down, of course i dont mooch off of them i help them do chore's and i feel that if the SHTF and i wasnt going to bug out, these chickens would be shared with me. I bought a pitbull the other month hes just a pup now but hes getting massive muscle wise. I would take him bugging out with me for hunting and defence.
-Anthony
Do all the rest of us APBT enthusiasts a favor and educate yourself as regards the breed , starting with the basic fact that "massive muscle" means squat , along with the fact that they *are not* a defensive dog , nor do they really make a decent catch or hunting dog except in very limited context.

Lemme guess here , ya bought it out of a newspaper ad didn't you? I sincerely hope you didn't fall for the fad color (blue)/ lowrider doh /bbbeeeeggg head/ Razors Edge-Gotti line/ golly they agaonna be BeeeEgggg bullshit.

Did you see OFA/PennHip on hips and elbows? A VWD screen? A cardiomyopathy screen? If blue is there a history of congenitally carried Demdectic or other immune deficiences? Did you see a 6 to 8 generation pedigree on the dog? Do you even know what a parting stick is and how to utilise it? Know what the aggression development age window is as regards other dogs and animals?

Or did you just buy an APBT because it's " cool"?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
We live on 12 acres and we have 12 chickens and 3 donkeys. The chickens are for eggs and the donkeys are for hauling or drag whatever, or help to plow the gardening. Most overlook donkeys, but very smart and very strong. We have no plans of leave our farm which we feel makes the donkeys very useful. We feel when the SHTF it will be very hard to get fuel. We are working on get some goats and rabbits.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I have often wondered if keeping a few breeding pairs of guard or hunting type dogs on hand would make for a great bartering item later on down the road in a long term SHTF. I mean a pair of Pitbulls or BMC's could quickly be breed and turned into a littler of 4-8 pups that could probably be pretty quickly turned for a profit or traded for something you need. Not really trying to derail a thread but just kind of thinking out loud as not all live stock is limited to Cows and Chickens.

·
Registered
640 Posts
There's already plenty of livestock around here. Most of my neighbors have cats or dogs. They should feed my family well for a while. :)

·
Administrator
15,108 Posts
We have had horses for a decade or more (have three at the moment), chickens even longer.
We are beginning to train our best cantidate horse to pull a wagon, we will still be able to get to town when gas hits $10 per gallon.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I have a herd of deer that freerange on/off my property. Had 3 bucks as of 2 days ago. But I think someone shot one of the 2 pointers. Have to keep my eyes open I guess. My neighbors have more "livestock" then I do but Im looking at chickens once I get a suitable habitat.

·
Registered
292 Posts
There's already plenty of livestock around here. Most of my neighbors have cats or dogs. They should feed my family well for a while. :)
whenever we went to Korea for Operation Team Spirit I always ate local meat and that was DOG. I also ate Cat-adobo (stew) in the Philippines. So yeah baby if I had to I eat a dog or cat in a heartbeat.

Side note: We raise Muscovy & Mallard ducks, Fayoumi Chickens, Rahmani Sheep, NZW Rabbits, Shami Goats on our Homestead. Like most if/when the SHTF we're staying put and digging our heels in deep. We're adding 40 lambs to our flock of sheep by next month and will be stocking up on their feed for a year's worth of preps as well. This is our insurance policy for food inflation as well as prepping for whatever is coming our way. One thing for sure the price of fed and meat does not go down so we will come out ahead by the end of the year.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts