Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who should own the water in your well?

Should it be legal for some one to drill one next to your property and suck your well dry?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I'd be in a fix if they did. Water Rights vary from state to state. I checked to make sure I had water rights before I bought my property because here in Nevada water rights are often sold separately from the land itself.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In my state, they just passed a law, that any corporation can drill a high capacity well, regardless of the impact on the environment. They can suck us dry and then when they are done, walk away.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
In my state, they just passed a law, that any corporation can drill a high capacity well, regardless of the impact on the environment. They can suck us dry and then when they are done, walk away.
In Michigan, Nestle's pumps out a lot each day. One brand is Ice Mountain Spring Water.

We had to drill a deeper well after they started with the first of their 4 factories. Co-incidence?
I believe water is a mineral and we don't have any mineral rights.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't you resent having to drill a deeper well? Do you think it is fair that they steal your water and you had to buy back what is already yours?

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Yes to 1 and NO to 2.

The folks resent having to dig deeper wells, but they have employment to be able to afford the new well and to buy aquafina instead of Nestles

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Property boundary are what they are, though if it were simply a neighbor with his well in the same aquifer, using it for his families needs it's the same as you using it for your needs. When a corporation drills down and drains the water for their greed and profits it's a whole different thing altogether. That the politicians in this country are linked and sell out over to corporate concerns over the individuals is an old tail and why we need revolution. And besides other aspects, to hang all the politicians from short ropes on a tall tree as traitors and use them for target practice.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Donald Trump built a controversial golf course in Scotland by bulldozing a coastal dunescape and a spring leaving farmers without water (0:35).
He said of one Scottish guy-"He lives like a pig"-

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree with Fuzzee. Jobs will do people no good if they have no water. Sharing our water with our neighbors is one thing, even a CAFO here and there, fine, but, allowing sinking of hi-cap wells, regardless of how they affect the aquifer is incomprehensible. We won't have a nation left.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't think it is about nations any more. I think the concept of a nation has been eclipsed by the multi-national corporation. I don't think they care about what is left when they are done, no more than then the tornado that blew through Moore cares of what is left in its wake. They will just put some propaganda on about how 'clean, green, abundant and domestic' this product is, and the wheel grinds on.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
There is a pretty well known case in the eye of "libertarians" in Oregon a few years or less back. A man was arrested or at least cited for "stealing" water from a river / stream. The article was worded to suggest he was just trying to irrigate his garden, provide for his family, and the article (libertarian written) left out his stocking a 5 acre lake for his fishing fetish. The water taken by him was allocated to farmers below him and I suspect the farmers paid fees for the water he did not. Once I learned about the lake/pond or whatever it was I stopped following the case.

I have water rights for about 800 acres in rural Nevada and we irrigate about 700 acres at this time. I hope to "develop" the other 100 acres soon. I've had applications in to get additional water rights for years but they are not likely to be approved. I suggested water rention ponds to gather rain water and irrigate a few extra acres but the permitting for the "development" would be detrimental to the water tables - I'm told - by some kid with bigger degrees that my own.

The question at hand is intriguing. On one hand we have the view we should be able to do what we want with our property, but on the other hand we're saying the neighbor should not be? I presently live in the farm belt of the Central Valley of CA. Most get along here quite well, we have no water wars, but we did have a sad development 5 years ago when the wacko environmentalist won a court fight to force water that was going to southern valley farmers to be placed into the rivers for the betterment of a fish. The farmers lost nearly everything. I'm guessing about 200,000 acres of productive farm land was turned into desert space. A lot of people will always buy into this was the catalyst for the 2009 housing crisis because of the 10,000's of jobs lost to that farm land (harvesting, trucking, food processing, sales, etc). The people's who's lives depended on that farming left, and one Central Valley Town literally went from 30,000 population to 12,000 in 2 years. I dare say you can buy a nice home there still - quite cheap.

So who owns the water - the fish? California courts said they do.

I'm just HUGE on rain water retention and I don't tell anyone about it. I can also make it out of sight. I also have non permitted wells for an emergency, but you'll never know they are there and if there was ever such an emergency I doubt there'd be any govt to stop me from using them.

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
T Boone PIckens is pulling that crap with Texas trying to get himself some extra power to give his masters. Pisses me off.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Part of the problem here is this water gets removed forever from the water cycle, thereby affecting future rainfall.

Water for irrigation of crops, goes back down into the aquifer. Water hauled off for other purposes never re-enters the region's water cycle. Water used for fracking is supposedly injected so deep in the earth, it supposedly never goes to the aquifer.

It seems logical to me, that a governing body would look at the health of the aquifer when deciding where to place a high capacity well. In my state, they just passed a law that says the health of the aquifer and all those who share it, does not need to be a consideration when a high capacity well is drilled.

That seems insane.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
The farther you are from the source the more it sucks to live where you are.

Snowpack 8 miles behind my house is still over 12 feet, what water shortage are ou referring to?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts