Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to add wire saws to all my family's BOB's. Anyone got suggestions on the best quality ones? There are so many choices out there, and I'm afraid of getting a cheap POS that breaks when you try to use it. Don't need nothing fancy, just a simple wire saw.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't know if I would give my 12 year old daughter a machete. Mabey she is ready, but I'm looking to keep it compact and light.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I've used 3 different wire saws - all are not worth the money to ship them, even the "GI Wiresaw" that cost me about $15.

I do have a 'pocket chainsaw' that i've yet to try but came highly recommended, it is an actual piece of chainsaw chain with handles on each end. Might look into that. pocket chainsaw

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I think if you taught her safety and the responsibility of using a machete or some other form of cutting equipment, there would be not much of an issue of a 12 yr old having one.. Just depends on the person..

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Don't know if I would give my 12 year old daughter a machete. Mabey she is ready, but I'm looking to keep it compact and light.
Than diversify and give her the folding saw and a good fixed blade like a Mora Light My Fire. The rest of you with machetes or a couple will be able to cover other jobs. The nice thing about numbers in a group is different people being able to carry different and extra supplies to add diversity and strength to the groups survival.

Amazon.com: Light My Fire Swedish FireKnife Fixed Blade Knife with 10 cm (3 Inch) Sandvik Stainless Steel Blade and Swedish FireSteel Fire Starter - Black: Sports & Outdoors

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I like the Gerber folding saw. Any camp saw or folding saw is the way to go and an axe should be added to survival supplies. Up north the axe is just as important as a knife for survival. I would never consider a wire saw as a viable survival tool.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
For something compact I would opt for the folding saw, in 7 or 9 inch, I like the 9 inch version

Amazon.com: BAHCO 396-LAP 9 Inch Laplander Folding Saw: Home Improvement

I do not care for a wire saw, they are okay, I broke mine and replaced it with this, much better, they are available in 24, 36 and 48 inch lengths, 24 is a tad short and 48 a bit long, 36 inch is about right for up to 6 to 8 inch tree limbs

Amazon.com: Ultimate Survival Technologies SaberCut Saw (Black): Sports & Outdoors

I have both the bhaco and saber cut and they work quite well for a pack pocket item.

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
With a group, someone can easily carry a decent bow saw. A 24" Bahco bow saw will out-cut 20 guys with wire saws. The 24" weighs 26 ounces and costs less than $30. http://BahcoStore.com

·
Registered
921 Posts
I have tried several wire saws and did not think any of them were worth a hill of beans.. I have heard good things about the pocket chainsaw but have not used it myself...
I have a version of them with a 20' rope on each end. Works pretty well. I use it for cutting smaller overhead limbs when it isn't worth digging out the pole saw.
In a pinch, I guess I could cut the rope to make it more BOB worthy. The good ones I've seen run ~$30.00, with the longer rope.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I like the pocket chainsaw! I have one in my BOB and I use another one on little projects when I dont have the real chainsaw handy.

Doc

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have a chane saw chane in my bag I put straps on each end and use that heveyer than a wire saw but works 100000 times better in a pinch just what I found works for me

1 - 15 of 15 Posts