Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to prep alcohol both as a stress reliever and a barter item. I realize that there are a lot of reasonable whiskeys out there and a lot of really good expensive ones but IMO you are wasting your money. Any reasonably good brew will do for barter and for consumption I would rather have 2 bottles of a decent mash than 1 bottle of a good one once I have no chance of restock.

Please keep this to Whiskey, Sour Mash and Bourbon only

What is your favorite and your local price for a 1.75 Liter?

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Mrs Inor and I do not prep whiskey or any other alcohol as a barter item. We do have quite a bit of Everclear grain alcohol for making medicines etc. If we do not need all we have for medicine we can always dilute it 2:1 and age it in an oak cask to make whiskey.

For drinkin', I am strictly a beer guy - I have a particular weakness for good ales.

Reactions: paraquack

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
OK pricewise, I had to go to the "local flyers" and only found a few- Captain Morgan-28.99, Evan Williams-18.99. Both are 1.75 Liters..
My use as a barter item-Haven't purchased any extra, Usually have one open bottle in freezer, but lately haven't been drinking whiskey..On vacation in El Paso I decided to try some top shelf whiskeys...Makers mark and cant' remember the other "shooter" i baught..
tried them on an empty surgically modified stomache, and "oh hell no"...Haven't really tried anymore since...
My favorite, I don't know, Is ammaretto a whiskey or liquer? Like I said my Bourbon days are done..
Will I prep some alchohol- yes, but not until I decide when/where/IF I move. Dont wanna be hauling anymore than I have to.
And, MONTANA- you didn't tell us your beverage of choice. Im guessing "wild turkey 101", on the rocks?

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
When I drink bourbon I like Wild Turkey. Being from middle Tennessee I am incapable of acknowledging any whiskey not hailing from Lynchburg. I am a clear liquor drinker mostly rum and vodka. The big bottle of Jack runs about $38.00 here. Turkey close to the same.

Reactions: Denton

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I woke up one day about 10 yrs ago and realized it had been at least 6 months since had taken a drink of anything. Wasn't a conscious deciscion or anything, it just sort of happened. I do, on rare moments, still have a drink or two though and my preference is Canadian whiskey.

We rarely buy top shelf, but I have no idea what the price runs, since my wife usually picks it up on her way home due to weird liquor laws here in Texas and our county being a beer and wine only sales county.

I gotta throw one out there for Rice Paddy Daddy though. Nothing beats a good glass of Mekong whiskey on a beach in Thailand, as long as you get it when it's fresh and before it turns into formaldehyde::clapping::

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
I make my own. I came across stonewall jackson's recipe for his southern whiskey and the last run I did it came out smelling (and tasting) a lot like tutti fruity bubblegum. Very interesting. It was also like 160 proof, that stuff will kick your ass. Jackson's likker ain't sippin whiskey, it's get shitfaced fall down drunk whiskey.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I am a whiskey drinker.. Usually a good bourbon being from the south but have a wide variety of likes. Gentleman Jack, 8yr old Beam is good but hard to find anymore. Makers Mark is a good one. Now that I am in Montana I see Canadian Whiskey is popular. I have always liked Lord Calvert and find it is cheap up here. So I hear. Wae finally went to town this Monday which was almost 3 hours since many of the roads were washed out still and we had to make a few 40 mile detours..lol Anyway, we get to town and spend almost $800 on groceries, I stop by the liquor store and there is a sign that said CLOSED ON MONDAY.. I almost took a dump in my pants!!! So we went back to the grocery store and got like 7-30 packs of beer.. No, I don't drink that much but we sometimes only get to town once a month so you have to be prepared. Plus, the beer on the ranch is pretty much community property. You put most of it in the shop and barn and anyone gets it.. Not like there are a bunch of people out here either..lol

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I guess I didn't mention my favorites

I like Edward Williams black label for a good balance between price and quality, the 1.75 is about $25 here

I also stock my friends favorite with is R&R which is more like $18 and I don't mind as its cheaper still.

For better I am a number 7 fan and yes since it is Montana I like a Canadian whiskey named Pendelton which is about $50 per.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
I make my own. I came across stonewall jackson's recipe for his southern whiskey and the last run I did it came out smelling (and tasting) a lot like tutti fruity bubblegum. Very interesting. It was also like 160 proof, that stuff will kick your ass. Jackson's likker ain't sippin whiskey, it's get shitfaced fall down drunk whiskey.
DAMN Leon, lets barter some now? Send me a halfpint? is that legal?. Label it cleaning fluid?

·
Registered
24,260 Posts
I don't drink whiskey much, I have been told Wild Turkey 101 is good stuff. No idea about the cost.
I prefer tequila. 1800 is a good brand, if you are looking for an alternative to whiskey. ::clapping::

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I guess I didn't mention my favorites

I like Edward Williams black label for a good balance between price and quality, the 1.75 is about $25 here

I also stock my friends favorite with is R&R which is more like $18 and I don't mind as its cheaper still.

For better I am a number 7 fan and yes since it is Montana I like a Canadian whiskey named Pendelton which is about $50 per.
I forgot all about Pendelton.. That is pretty good stuff.. And pretty popular here in Montana I have noticed..

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I keep a bit of ever clear around for stove fuel...

I certainly wouldn't drink it!

It's been many years since I drank, yet as I recall, Elijah Craig was a decent and inexpensive bourbon.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts