Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Which would you choose as a personal protection weapon?

4K views 29 replies 23 participants last post by  pharmer14 
Hello all. I am in debate on which item, other than a knife, to which I may be able to protect myself in close hand-hand combat. Two options I am considering are a collapsible baton or a small handheld stun gun. Both have there ups and downs.

The baton is light weight and doesn't need to be charged what so ever. Also, it might be able to be better concealed on persons due to its lower profile (in my opinion).

Now, the stun gun is very effective when in really close quarters and can put the assailant down with one strike. It does have some limited factors though. First, it needs to have a charge. This may limit my options when carrying. For example: say I needed to bug out, and don't have it charged, or don't have any means to get it charged. What then? Second, it is a little bit bulkier than the Baton.

With all that, I was just wondering what everyones preferences are? Which would you choose over the other and why? Do you have any other options for EDC protection?

Thank you for any comments or constructive criticism. Will surely use anything I can squeeze out of you all.

Original Prep
A TASER maybe, a stun gun no. A stun gun requires you to get in extremely close (unless it's a 3' long Cattle Prod) and it does not incapacitate. It "stuns". My department issues the X26 TASER. I can use it with the cartridge which shoots the probes, or I can can pull the cartridge off and use it like a stun gun, which is nothing more than pain compliance. As soon as you lose or remove contact, it doesn't hurt anymore and the bad guy can carry on. With the cartridge, it's a 5 second ride, it hurts like hell and most people don't want anymore to do with it. But also realize it doesn't take long to recover; so run, get them restrained or zap them again.

An expandable baton (ASP) is a good choice, but you definitely need training. I like impact weapons, so the old PR-24 (side handle baton) is an excellent choice, but not concealable, unless you get the expandable one. Chemical irritants are a good choice but get one that shoots foam or a solid stream, not a fog. The "fogger" is susceptible to wind and gets all over everything, including you. Used indoors, I've seen them get sucked into the ventilation system requiring the entire building to get evacuated. Which resulted in getting the guy fired. It was our building and he was goofing around with his spray, he sprayed himself and another guy, then we watched the cloud get sucked into a vent. Nothing like having nearly a dozen officers and a bunch of secretaries spending the next half hour coughing like they had emphysema.

Reactions: Meangreen
Okay folks...gun was not one of his "options". Yes we would all prefer a gun, but he wanted to know of the two (baton or stun gun) which you would prefer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.