Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone im new to the forum and i was wondering if someone could help me.

Im looking for the best survival books out there for a northern climate and something not related to a city but mostly for the woods.Im also looking for a book that might help me forage wild edibles where i live (Quebec ,Canada)

Id like it to have everything from trapping to fire building to shelter building ,pretty much everything i would need to survive and more,anything that will be useful.

Thanks !

·
Registered
23 Posts
hi georgiii,

I use a book called "food for free" by Richard mabey. I use it regularly for reference on foraging out n about. it is a uk book so some food names may seem odd, but genus and species should still be universal.

its small size fits in pocket easy enough- and has probably steered me clear of a few dodgy things, which is a bonus !!

one thing I am sure of though, if you ever doubt what the food is, just leave it !!

its a great feeling on walkabout the food that you can eat, that is out there ! I also have a book on healing plants and herbs which is handy too for aches n pains etc.

happy foraging !!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Welcome from Southern Minnesota.

I would start in my public library. Ask the librarians for "self suficiency" books, and books on wildlife and wild plants. Then you have an idea of which books are good and which ones to shine on.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
If you decide to get books then get books on edible plants in your area and get one with color photographs of the plants. Bushcraft books range from terrible to good but do some research on fire starting, trapping with hand made traps, fish traps and long lines. Don't depend on a gun to get food.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
The SAS Survival Handbook, The Boy Scouts Handbook, US Army Survival Manual: FM 21-76, A Field Guide to Edible Wild Plants: Eastern and central North America (Peterson Field Guides), and A Field Guide to Medicinal Plants and Herbs: Of Eastern and Central North America (Peterson Field Guides). There are a lot of books out there, these are just a few. I just suggest that you be a little careful about who authors them. A lot of people seem to consider themselves "experts" on survival who really aren't.
These are all good. If I was to start again, I'd start with the SAS Handbook for sure.

SAS Survival Handbook, Revised Edition: For Any Climate, in Any Situation: John 'Lofty' Wiseman: 9780061733192: Amazon.com: Books

1 - 11 of 11 Posts