Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
The majority of 1911-9mm's aren't double stack. They are single row and the magazines sold for them are 8-10 rounds. Para I think makes one that is double stack and maybe a few others do; I don't have the biggest hands in the world and the 1911 fits me just fine and the lack of recoil offered up by the 45 acp allows me to stand on target a tad easier then the bigger bullet. You are right on though - flopping magazines it a snap and so long as you work on doing just that a hi - cap model shouldn't be necessary. My bug out bag includes a 1911-9mm, 5 magazines, all loaded and an extra box of ammo. I get to carry a 100 rounds out that way and the lighter weight enables me to carry other stuff I find important too.

BTW I do wish Colt would make a decent 9mm in the 1911 platform. They only make the 38 super I believe at this point and the old series 70's from the 1970's are up there in price if full sized 9mm. I also dont' care for "GI" models as I prefer decent sights, low profile hammer and lighter trigger. Interesting enough the current RIA "tactical" model comes with all 3 of those features and is under $500 retail in a free state. I find that gun hard to beat in the market.

I own four 1911's by three different manufacturers. None are high end, ALL worked just fine out of the box without any special "tuning up."
Colt 70 Series Government Model, Colt 80 Series Commander, Rock Island Armory Government Model, Taurus PT1911. All 45 ACP.
Stick with the original John Browning design and you'll be OK. It's when manufacturers try to make them tacticool or down size them or make them double stack, etc that they lose their reliability.
The best deal is the RIA plain old Government Model. About $400 and solid as a rock.
And as far as a 9MM holding 14 rounds and the 45 holding 7 or 8, who only carries one magazine anyway? How long does it take to drop one, insert another and thumb the slide release? Gee whiz, it ain't rocket science.
I'm a big bore guy, besides the 1911's Ive got revolvers in 44 Special (my pocket cary piece), 44 magnum and 45 Colt. And a rifle in 45-70 Government for that time when something, anything, needs to be dead right now.
I must admit, i do have one 9MM, a Walther P-1 as part of my military collection. Shhh! Don't tell anyone!!
While not a go-to-town carry gun, it's hard to beat a Ruger Blackhawk 45 Convertible for woods walking, a working gun, or just all around fun. These come with two cylinders - one 45 Colt, the other 45 ACP. It's my nightstand gun and at this very moment she's loaded with Corbon 45 Colt +P JHP (aka The Flying Ashtray).

Diversity is not a dirty word when applied to firearm selection.

And remember - a 9MM may expand, but a 45 won't shrink.

·
Mod Squad
2,260 Posts
I looked at this question a few years back and decided to go with fewer "standard" calibers rather than having a lot of different ones. I looked at the purpose of each gun and choose what I considered to be the best round for that job.

"Best" here doesn't necessarily mean ballistic superiority. I took many factors into consideration, including ballistic performance, cost, availability, and the popularity of each particular round, which sort of indicates its potential value in a barter economy. I ended up sticking with .22 lr. .40 S&W, .45 APC, 12 ga, 7.62/.308, and 5.56/.223.

So, for me at least, the slight benefit of being able to use a wide variety of different calibers is more than offset by the simplified logistics of a smaller number of popular calibers, which allows me to stock larger quantities of the rounds I use. By doing it this way, I also have the added benefit of being able to buy in bulk for greater savings.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Earlier this year the U.S. Marine Corps but in an order with Colt for 20,000 1911's in .45 acp. They have decided to return to the .45 acp to replace their 9mm. Does that you you something?
Only that guys stuck using only FMJ decided since they couldn't use all the great JHP 9mm out there they might try using the bigger FMJ again instead. It may be better for them, but I don't have that problem and can have more rounds per mag at my disposal.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I am more of a gun accumulator than a collector. I'll use this for an example but the question is more generally applied. I want a 1911. I have a non-1911, 9mm. I have a Governor (45 Colt).

Do I buy a 9mm on a 1911 format or do I buy a 45 cal. 1911? At some point it becomes foolish to stock a thousand rounds of every caliber.

So do I limit the different caliber guns? Or I increase the different caliber of guns but only stock selected calipers in high quantities?

Now that question is bad enough. Add the question: Do I move to less popular calibers so I can buy unrestricted quantity and lower prices?
You should do what seems right to you. We could all tell you what we feel is best, but it may not seem right for you. I only stock 9mm and .22lr is pistol calibers and it's all I need. My pistol is to fight my way back to my rifle to me. And if I come across some .45acp somewhere down the road, I think they'll probably be a pistol to go with it it came in.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
The majority of 1911-9mm's aren't double stack. They are single row and the magazines sold for them are 8-10 rounds. Para I think makes one that is double stack

Yes PARA does and a fine 1911 it is. retirement gift Para 1911 Double stack match grade barrel it shoots like a 22 almost

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.