Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am more of a gun accumulator than a collector. I'll use this for an example but the question is more generally applied. I want a 1911. I have a non-1911, 9mm. I have a Governor (45 Colt).

Do I buy a 9mm on a 1911 format or do I buy a 45 cal. 1911? At some point it becomes foolish to stock a thousand rounds of every caliber.

So do I limit the different caliber guns? Or I increase the different caliber of guns but only stock selected calipers in high quantities?

Now that question is bad enough. Add the question: Do I move to less popular calibers so I can buy unrestricted quantity and lower prices?

·
Registered
559 Posts
It's whatever you want man ;).

Just don't go with a cheap 1911... they are NOT all built the same.

As for less popular calibers - how would you by them at lower prices? What kind of calibers you talking about??? I personally don't like the idea of using an odd caliber just for ease of ammo accumulation (but then again I have enough ammo, or components, to last me a couple of years).

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
There are two ways to look at it (or rationalize the purchase of what you want) By sticking with one caliber you can accumulate more ammo in that caliber that can be fired in all your guns. On the other hand if you have guns in most calibers you will be able to use almost any ammo you come across. Both are valid arguments, enjoy whichever new gun you pick.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Sounds like your stock pile is not lacking, buy what you want and what you will enjoy. nothing wrong with being diverse with your selection.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
IMO everyone should have at least one quality 1911 45. It may not be a priority as a first or second weapon but one to be added to the list.
I understand the difference in a collector and accumulator I fit in the accumulator.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I have 1911 in 45 acp, 40S&W, and 9mm. To me you just can't beat a 1911. The 45 is a Wilson combat, the 40 is a Parordance, and the 9mm is a Springfield. They are all nice firearms. So if 9mm is you game you can find it in 1911.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
There are two ways to look at it (or rationalize the purchase of what you want) By sticking with one caliber you can accumulate more ammo in that caliber that can be fired in all your guns. On the other hand if you have guns in most calibers you will be able to use almost any ammo you come across. Both are valid arguments, enjoy whichever new gun you pick.
This, if you limit yourself to one or two calibers and they are always sold out, what's a fella to do?

As Nathan said; All 1911's are not the same. Unless you pay top dollar ($1500 and up, and I mean UP!), there's a good chance you'll have to have it 'tuned' to run right. Something that should not be with a new gun. Some will still be finicky about what ammo it will eat. For the price of a good quality 1911 you can get 2 or 3 good handguns of a different design that are not as finicky. If you can afford it and just 'want' a 1911, and have the other 'defense' bases covered, go for it cause they're fun!

Reactions: Nathan Jefferson

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
For years I carried hi cap 9mm's mostly Sigs.

When I left the world of LE I switched to a 1911 - 45 ACP and it served me well for over a decade, but as I got older and my brother introduced me to a 1911 in 9mm I decided to go that route. In that effort I made a few mistakes. First of all I kept a Kimber 22LR conversion kit and they don't work on 9mm 1911's. I had a gun smith locally work on my Kimber 1911-9mm and made the kit work, but it cost me an extra $200 and isn't worth it. Mind you I still like the 1911 in 9mm and have two of them - like you I accumulate firearms (they are my ounces of gold) not collect them. I bought an RIA 1911 9mm from my brother just last week - he bought it for me but we couldn't transfer it to me until I got a new home. It is my second 1911 9mm. I believe they aren't worth accumulating any more and prefer to accumate the P series Rugers - hi cap - tanks - easy to use - most importantly much cheaper. For the price of even an RIA 9mm in 1911 format I can buy a Ruger, extra magazines, and extra ammo. So I carry, outdoors, a 1911 - 9mm, but I accumulate the P series 9mm from Ruger.

Also, I ended up going back and buying a 1911 in 45 ACP again. A simple Kimber II on sale for $749 in CA when I had the extra money. I use that for the 22LR conversion kit now instead of the Kimber II Target 9mm I had worked on. That gives me an excuse to keep a few boxes of 45 ACP handy and is a fine back up caliber to 9mm.

I am more of a gun accumulator than a collector. I'll use this for an example but the question is more generally applied. I want a 1911. I have a non-1911, 9mm. I have a Governor (45 Colt).

Do I buy a 9mm on a 1911 format or do I buy a 45 cal. 1911? At some point it becomes foolish to stock a thousand rounds of every caliber.

So do I limit the different caliber guns? Or I increase the different caliber of guns but only stock selected calipers in high quantities?

Now that question is bad enough. Add the question: Do I move to less popular calibers so I can buy unrestricted quantity and lower prices?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Get a Colt in 45 acp all the rest are just copies
Mine are series 70 a series 45 acp / a series 90 dbl eagle dbl action lightweight officer model 45 acp (hybrid 1911 my favorite) / a 1911 A1 commander 45 acp / Star 1911 copy 9mm finicky with ammo.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I have never had a bad 1911 and I have never paid over $700 I have owned a Kimber Custom II, a Para P14, a Springfield loaded stainless, and a Colt combat commander. All were accurate with the Kimber being #1 and the Springfield a close second, I shot all kinds of ammo in each including semi wadcutter handloads (OAL might have to be adjusted to each gun) I would not be afraid to buy one of the Turkish 1911's that are so affordable right now, I own a couple Sarsilmaz pistols and they are top notch with better fit and finish than many guns produced here.

Reactions: Seneca

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Two trains of thought I've entertained on this. The more calibers you have, the more you need to stock ammo for. Perhaps it would be wise to stay with just a few different calibers as you can stock more ammo for them? However, maybe in the future ammo becomes almost impossible to get, maybe you find, or you trade for, otherwise get your hands on an amount of ammo, the more calibers weapons you have, the better chance the ammo you've laid hands on will work in one of your weapons, just something to think about.

·
Registered
855 Posts
My take on it is if you're going to buy a 1911 buy a .45ACP, if you want to be different you get it in .38 Super. But I've always been a big fan of the .45 ACP so I'm a little biased.

-Infidel

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
There is plenty of .45 ammo around and it will still be around for some time.

Reactions: Seneca

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have seen this question on every prepper/gun site. Which do I buy? Now I have different calibers. I guess I am missing the point. If I like the gun I find a way to get it. Most of the time money isn't the issue, but how to hide it from my wife. My point is why stress about multiple calibers? Get the gun and ammo, practice, have fun.

The shelf in the gun room where I keep the dies has way too much empty space. I can put 10-20 more die sets on there. The bullet shelf has room for more calibers. Powder and primmers, the same. I look forward to different guns because now I have a new challenge to become proficient with a new platform and new loads.

Yes I am a prepper and know what I will take when SHTF, but for now the hobby is more for pleasure. Since we plan on bugging in the decision on guns is more for the now not what if. Get what and as many as you can afford and have fun with them.

Oh I almost forgot, join the NRA and or GOA while you are at it.

·
Administrator
15,414 Posts
I own four 1911's by three different manufacturers. None are high end, ALL worked just fine out of the box without any special "tuning up."
Colt 70 Series Government Model, Colt 80 Series Commander, Rock Island Armory Government Model, Taurus PT1911. All 45 ACP.
Stick with the original John Browning design and you'll be OK. It's when manufacturers try to make them tacticool or down size them or make them double stack, etc that they lose their reliability.
The best deal is the RIA plain old Government Model. About $400 and solid as a rock.
And as far as a 9MM holding 14 rounds and the 45 holding 7 or 8, who only carries one magazine anyway? How long does it take to drop one, insert another and thumb the slide release? Gee whiz, it ain't rocket science.
I'm a big bore guy, besides the 1911's Ive got revolvers in 44 Special (my pocket cary piece), 44 magnum and 45 Colt. And a rifle in 45-70 Government for that time when something, anything, needs to be dead right now.
I must admit, i do have one 9MM, a Walther P-1 as part of my military collection. Shhh! Don't tell anyone!!
While not a go-to-town carry gun, it's hard to beat a Ruger Blackhawk 45 Convertible for woods walking, a working gun, or just all around fun. These come with two cylinders - one 45 Colt, the other 45 ACP. It's my nightstand gun and at this very moment she's loaded with Corbon 45 Colt +P JHP (aka The Flying Ashtray).

Diversity is not a dirty word when applied to firearm selection.

And remember - a 9MM may expand, but a 45 won't shrink.

Reactions: Infidel
1 - 20 of 25 Posts