Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Administrator
14,709 Posts
Hard to beat a late 1930's Mauser K98k in original military configuration.
There is a scout type scope mount that goes in place of the rear sight ramp with a simple roll pin instalation if you want a scope.

8MM Mauser is a hard round to beat, and the Peter Paul Mauser design reciever has been copied more than Colt's Model 1911.
The controlled round feed is a must for serious hunting rifles where an absolutely positive second shot is necessary. Such as dangerous game hunting.
Mine all work as smooth as silk.

·
Registered
Firearms & Self Defense.
4,034 Posts
Henry.....Henry.....where art thou? Look at a Ruger American in 30.06.
That is a good answer, and a .30-06 Springfield; does a lot of things well.

Reactions: 65mustang

·
Registered
Firearms & Self Defense.
4,034 Posts
Hard to beat a late 1930's Mauser K98k in original military configuration.
There is a scout type scope mount that goes in place of the rear sight ramp with a simple roll pin instalation if you want a scope.

8MM Mauser is a hard round to beat, and the Peter Paul Mauser design reciever has been copied more than Colt's Model 1911.
The controlled round feed is a must for serious hunting rifles where an absolutely positive second shot is necessary. Such as dangerous game hunting.
Mine all work as smooth as silk.
Another good answer, and it does a lot of things well.

·
Administrator
14,709 Posts
I'd suggest a single shot .410 Start off harvesting squirrel and rabbit. Learn firearm maintenance.

Good luck @Henny_M
I really like the .410 for farm security against critters after the chickens.
In fact, about 3 feet from me at this very moment is a Stoeger Uplander SXS double barrel .410. Since trouble in Chicken Alley usually happens in the dead of night and I'll be fumbling getting my robe on, I don't need to fumble for the shotgun too.
That, and my Maglight stay ready to go.
She's loaded with Winchester 2.5" #4 birdshot. With a mixture of shot, slug, and buck shot in the butt cuff.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Henry.....Henry.....where art thou? Look at a Ruger American in 30.06.
You better have a lot of room to hunt. 30.06 travels a long ways even after a little brush contact. That is why some states are now requiring straight case rounds for hunting like the 350 and 450.
Unless you are hunting out west a 308 would make much more sense. How many people shoot anything they hunt at 500 yards. Darn few. I would bet that in this state most deer are taken at less than 150 yards.
Easy shot for most 30-30's.

Ruger American in 308. Not much it can not take done at a range most hunt

100_2257.JPG

Reactions: rice paddy daddy

·
Registered
154 Posts
You better have a lot of room to hunt. 30.06 travels a long ways even after a little brush contact. That is why some states are now requiring straight case rounds for hunting like the 350 and 450.
Unless you are hunting out west a 308 would make much more sense. How many people shoot anything they hunt at 500 yards. Darn few. I would bet that in this state most deer are taken at less than 150 yards.
Easy shot for most 30-30's.

Ruger American in 308. Not much it can not take done at a range most hunt

View attachment 110123
I think Ruger makes a variation of their American in .450 Bushmaster and 350 Legend. The 30.06 can use reduced recoil loads, perfect for short range. I've used a 30.06 on all the Big Game Wyoming has to offer (when I can draw a tag) Antelope, Whitetails and Mule deer, Elk and 2 Moose. At ranges from 400 yds (the longest) to less than 50 yds. There ain't no flies on the .308, I have an LR-308. But when I want to go do some serious hunting I grab my model 70 in 30.06.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
I think Ruger makes a variation of their American in .450 Bushmaster and 350 Legend. The 30.06 can use reduced recoil loads, perfect for short range. I've used a 30.06 on all the Big Game Wyoming has to offer (when I can draw a tag) Antelope, Whitetails and Mule deer, Elk and 2 Moose. At ranges from 400 yds (the longest) to less than 50 yds. There ain't no flies on the .308, I have an LR-308. But when I want to go do some serious hunting I grab my model 70 in 30.06.
30-06 for many years was the long range shooter, and then you had your 30-30 for normal range hunting . Life was simple. Two of the rife arms that left with my second son were a 30-30 Marlin 336 and a Remington 700 30.06 he still uses them both he moved out on his own a18 college work Army now 45 . Those rifles have seen a lot of hunting.
Partly because of hunters using weapons that were just way over the top for hunting some states and areas are limiting you to the 350 and 450 type round straight wall they do not make near the pressures .

·
Registered
566 Posts
Ruger Scout in .308, 18 inch version.

Reactions: Slippy

·
Registered
7,900 Posts
I want to purchase a gun for hunting. Some of my friends insisted me to buy a gun and go hunting and that's fun. So, they suggested some good gun brands such as colt and Remington Outdoor. I have also done some research on the internet and studied blogs on some best gun brands. However, I seek your all suggestions to make the best decision in selecting one of the good brand guns with the model for hunting. All your suggestions are appreciated. Thanks for any inputs. Cheers :)
Well Henry, how about a Henry Rifle ?

It's going to be hard to find any 870's since they aren't being made at this time, at the height of a gun panic. Crazy times.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts