Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to purchase a gun for hunting. Some of my friends insisted me to buy a gun and go hunting and that's fun. So, they suggested some good gun brands such as colt and Remington Outdoor. I have also done some research on the internet and studied blogs on some best gun brands. However, I seek your all suggestions to make the best decision in selecting one of the good brand guns with the model for hunting. All your suggestions are appreciated. Thanks for any inputs. Cheers :)

·
Banned
5,001 Posts
I want to purchase a gun for hunting. Some of my friends insisted me to buy a gun and go hunting and that's fun. So, they suggested some good gun brands such as colt and Remington Outdoor. I have also done some research on the internet and studied blogs on some best gun brands. However, I seek your all suggestions to make the best decision in selecting one of the good brand guns with the model for hunting. All your suggestions are appreciated. Thanks for any inputs. Cheers :)
Personally Id buy a Daisy or a Crossman and don't ever hunt with Dick Cheney.

Honnistaibe: The Cheney Shooting Accident

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Have you ever hunted before? What will you be hunting? Have you ever shot a gun?

·
Administrator
14,686 Posts
It depends on what you want to hunt.
Deer?
If so, you can not go wrong with a Savage bolt action rifle. They are affordable, and very accurate. And were one of the first to offer left handed versions as regular items, not specialty items.
https://www.savagearms.com

In my area, SE Georgia, NE Florida the most popular calibers for deer are .308, 30-06, .243, and .270.
Of course, many guys and gals swear by the tried and true 30-30 lever action rifle. The woods are thick and most deer are taken at ranges less than 100 yards, so a 30-30 workes just fine.

·
Administrator
14,686 Posts
The real question should be what caliber not brand should I buy for what type of game I plan to hunt.

Why do I feel like this is a troll post? :vs_coffee:
Not everyone was raised around guns, I'm giving the benefit of the doubt here until I'm shown to be wrong.

·
Banned
5,001 Posts
My money's on it's someone who's never been around guns before and is doing the best they can to ramp up for what they know is coming.
Maybe just tell him what brands to stay away from, and wish him good luck.
You would think his buddies would be steering him on the correct path instead of strangers.... think about it.

And Colt for hunting???? What an AR or pistol hunting Python?
Nah doesn't add up.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
You would think his buddies would be steering him on the correct path instead of strangers.... think about it.

Nah doesn't add up.
It sounded like google translator to me, that's why I asked.

·
Banned
20,845 Posts
A few questions;

Where do you plan on hunting? What is the Terrain of the land? What animals do you plan on hunting? What is your skill level of shooting/firearms?

Let us know.

·
Registered
743 Posts
There are many good brands. Henry, Winchester, Remington, Savage, Marlin, Weatherby, and more (prices can vastly vary). Best to go directly to a gun store and get a feel for several and take the one that fits you best. The professionals behind the counter can give you a lot of good advice.

It would be important to know what sort of game you'll be hunting so you can choose the proper caliber. Then there are questions like: are you looking for a lever action? A bolt action? A semi-automatic of some sort?

Anyway, good luck finding the right rifle for you.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts

Nah doesn't add up.
I did think about it and of course it doesn't add up. The bogus hunting buddies story would make his questions more acceptable in here than the real reason he's asking... i.e. that he's scared of what's coming.
Or, he's in here gathering intell.:glasses:
Or, he could be just a troll, sure.
Hard to know what's real these days. :vs_cool:

·
Administrator
14,686 Posts
It sounded like google translator to me, that's why I asked.
We do have members from around the world.
You could very well be correct.

Reactions: hawgrider

·
Banned
5,001 Posts
Ok I'll play nice for a second or 2.

Being brand spankin new to the art of harvesting meat with a firearm you need a shotgun with combo barrel. 1 field barrel and 1 rifled deer slayer barrel. Example- Remington 870 combo. You can hunt most all game animals with that. Take a hunter safety course and find a mentor so you don't shoot yourself or anyone else.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I did think about it and of course it doesn't add up. The bogus hunting buddies story would make his questions more acceptable in here than the real reason he's asking... i.e. that he's scared of what's coming.
Or, he's in here gathering intell.:glasses:
Or, he could be just a troll, sure.
Hard to know what's real these days. :vs_cool:
I like to give folks the benefit of the doubt. We never know when a true newcomer is seeking advice form folks that have been around. Even if that's not the case ... it makes me feel good that I made an effort to help someone out. In other words ... my ignorance is my bliss. :)

·
Registered
743 Posts
Ok I'll play nice for a second or 2.

Being brand spankin new to the art of harvesting meat with a firearm you need a shotgun with combo barrel. 1 field barrel and one rifled deer slayer barrel. Example Remington 870 combo. You can hunt most all game animals with that. Take a hunter safety course and find a mentor so you don't shot yourself or anyone else.
That's a good answer!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts