Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on trying to drive outta dodge, but as we all know that may be near impossible in urban centers.

IF you were walking out in BO situation, what firearm(s) are you taking with you and why?

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
SKS- proven effective against even modern forces

.40 s&w handgun- good enough for the government, good enough for me

12 gauge- trusty rusty and true, good for antipersonnel or hunting

.308 long action rifle w/scope- great for deer, sniping or long range greetings for unwelcome agents of 'unwarranted' parties.

.22 rifle- hell, you have to have a fly swatter, right?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Both of You are planning on taking that many while on foot?

·
Registered
46 Posts
If I'm driving? All of them, leave no one behind, lol (yes, all of my firearms are named).

Now, walking solo, I have three that would tag along. My 9mm Mak, a .22 pistol, and my AR7.

·
Registered
274 Posts
i am a bug in type, but if i had to walk and fight my way out. i would take a cqc scoped ar and .45 auto. the ar for the weight and .45 just because

·
Registered
245 Posts
this is a really good question, i think about it often really.lot of factors involved. i dont own any pistols, mostly military style rifles with folding or collapsible stocks. my answer is this for me i would take the SKS and probably about 250 rounds.as i would be bringing my Girlfriend with me i would have her carry the 10/22 and carry probably 1000 rounds for it. use the SKS for security and the ruger for hunting small game and back up. would like to find one of the break down type 22's that i could put in my bug out

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Probably a Ruger 10/22 rifle, and a Ruger SR-22 pistol, with a few value packs of ammo and lots of mags.

This strictly because of the weight issue of the ammo vs. quanity

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Each person has a different plan to fit their needs. When we BO it will be to a location we know where we are going. Most of the weapons are nearby a few in route if needed along the way.
Each member is armed most of the time no madder where they are with a personal Defense weapon. That is just a way to get farther away from the action if needed.
There is a reason the Military got away for 13 pound m14's and 30 caliber ammo one of them was to hard to carry enough rounds to be effective.
I do know of some that have Ar's in there car hidden well and disassemble but if need it would be ready to go. Not a bad idea for some.
If I am in Milwaukee when it goes down I know how to get away from the worst parts of town with easy and speed no madder what direction I need to head out , I can quickly get back on route.
Being heavily armed at that point is not nearly as important as just getting to where I need to be.
Always remember while the plan may cover all the details it may not be how it will go. The plane is where you will be at the end of the mission it may not be how you get there.
A plan often has many details in the middle subject to change.

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
It's probably best to think where you spend your time during the day and what you have with you when the excrement leviates into the rotating oscilator. I work in an office about thirty miles from the home stead. I keep certain things with me at all times. Hopefully being able to get to where my get back home vehicle is parked and finally to the homestead. If you don't have a weapon on you when things start going south then that's how you'll be forced to respond when it occurs.. Remember theres' no such thing as an alibi in a gunfight

·
Registered
855 Posts
Not really planning on bugging out but it is something I've thought of on occasion. For me if my family and I had to leave it would probably break down something like this:

My wife would carry the Ruger 10/22 and her Sig P232 because those are the guns she's most comfortable with
I'll carry the Mini-14 and my S&W 25-5 in .45 Colt (this will double as a hunting firearm if need be), there will also be a Ruger Mark III in my pack
Oldest son will carry a Marlin 15YN so that he is not defenseless and so that he can eventually provide food for the family if needed
My youngest son will not be carrying a firearm, I do not think that a 5 year old would get very far with the added weight. Nor should he be carrying a firearm at this point.

This list is subject to change as my boys get older and more familiar with firearms. My oldest has only been shooting about a year and my youngest has thus far only fired a BB gun. I would like to bring along my Marlin 336 and bolt action deer rifle but it's just not feasible if we have to carry it on our backs. If I can drive out there a bunch more stuff I'll be bringing but this isn't very likely

We're going to hold down the fort as long as we can, if it comes down to bugging out I'm not sure what I'll do with the guns I have to leave behind., Pretty sure I'll have to disable them somehow since I don't want them falling into the wrong hands. Bolts can be removed as well as barrels and slides on auto pistols. I would probably try to stash these parts where I could recover them if we were ever able to return home.

-Infidel

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
That is a loaded question (pun intended). It would matter if I was on foot or in a vehicle, bugging in or bugging out. If I was on foot it would be my AKM and my Ruger MKIII. The AK for two legged threats and the Ruger for varmints.

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
That is a loaded question (pun intended). It would matter if I was on foot or in a vehicle, bugging in or bugging out. If I was on foot it would be my AKM and my Ruger MKIII. The AK for two legged threats and the Ruger for varmints.
That is why the OP worded his question the way he did

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
I plan on trying to drive outta dodge, but as we all know that may be near impossible in urban centers.

IF you were walking out in BO situation, what firearm(s) are you taking with you and why?
To make it easier for those who don't read the OP or all the posts.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I often wrestle with this question myself.
I contemplate taking one of my 9mm pistols (I can pack more 9mm ammo vs. weight of the same number of rounds of .45), but then I think about IF I needed to use the pistol then id rather have a 1911.
Same with the rifle.
I can easily pack a brick or two of .22, but if I need to stop people...its only a .22
Yes you can stop people with a .22, but why shoot them 5 times with the .22 when a single .308 round would be more efficient?! You could also argue about sound signatures of one shot vs. 5 shots.... you may not want people to know where you are shooting from.

·
Registered
444 Posts
In my case, I will absolutely, no matter what, be taking my AR and all ammo and mags. It is set up with a good reflex sight, and it also has a 5x magnifier. That handles a close quarter engagement, while still affording me distance. I will also be carrying my S&W M&P 40c. That is my edc gun. My wife will carry our 22, and her Browning High Power. We both have put countless rounds down range, and are more than proficient. If we were driving, the rest of the arsenal would definitely tag along!

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
1 gun no options ,start walking that way if that is the limits I want one of my AR's . Light weight easy to carry and ammo is a lot lighter.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts