Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings all,

I will be practicing a bug out here in the next month and I realize I do not have a blade for defense/cutting wood/brush (or other uses?).

I have looked around and narrowed my thoughts to these 3 items, I realize the 3rd is unlike like the first 2 in that it isn't an Axe. I don't have much exp on such items so if anyone owns these them or knows the pros vs cons of Axe vs Machete like blades I would really appreciate it, I will be ordering one soon!

United Cutlery Tactical Tomahawk

SOG Tactical Tomahawk

Ka-Bar 2-1249-9 Kukri

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like the SOG Tomahawk.
I do as well, the United Cutlery one caught my eye towards the end of my searching since the sharp pick. I guess I could always sharpen the other side of the SOG.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I did a test to see what would be the best for cutting small limbs and trees in a survival situation with the following items.
[/URL]
The SOG Tomahawk did better than the knives especially on small limbs, the hatchet was better than the SOG Tamahawk for larger supported branches and trees but if they have some give to them then most of the force is wasted. But what beat all of them hands down was the Coleman camp saw and it was the cheapest maybe even the lightest and would cut from small limbs to small trees.

Coleman - Camp Saw

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don't own one yet, but this is next on my list. I have done quite a bit of research. A good mix between an ax and a Machete. The woodmans pal. And time tested.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I've got the Cold Steel version of that Ka-Bar. While it holds a razor sharp edge, just the shape has proven a complete failure for cutting all but the smallest of limbs. As a machete it fails as well. Just not long enough, the blade is thick, making it heavy and not very efficient. Looks kick ass, but put into action... :/

To my experience, a hatchet should be as thick and heavy as is practical, and a machete should be as long and thin as practical. The two tools don't mix well at all. I've bought two new, proper machete's, still shopping for a good hatchet myself.

View attachment 2999

·
Registered
1,028 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
I have one of the Gerber/Fiskar hatchets. It works good. I don't carry anything but a pocket knife. I don't plan to try and build a log cabin when I bug out.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have couple of the cold steel tomahawks. I mostly use them for throwing, which they work good for. If you put a little too much spin on them usually the spike on the backside will catch its target. However, I did break the handle on one of them today. Gonna tinker with making a handle out of hickory or steel tube.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Estwing quality, and for about 10 bucks more it comes with a black sheath, synthetic handle and black powder coat. This ones a little on the big side at 16" for strictly bug out use, but they do have the smaller Estwings in "special edition" to, & I camp, clear trails, and build hunting blinds enough I'm happy to carry the few extra ounces in a bug out situation, this will be part of my pack for sure.

View attachment 3009

Ordered on amazon along with another "survival necessity" for the wife. :D
View attachment 3010

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I'm not a fan of Tomahawk's, but that's a subjective point of view; seems to be more for fighting than practicality, and I don't plan on fighting with my hatchet unless I absolutely have no other choice. I have an Estwing hatchet, great little tool and made in the USA to boot.

Could you clarify, the question seems to be in regards to a tool for gathering wood but I'm curious if this is to supplement your regular knife or if it's the first bladed tool you will be adding to the mix? If you don't already have a sturdy knife, you should definitely explore that option first. Esee, OKC, Ka-Bar, Bark River, and a variety of local forges make some excellent bushcraft knives that can easily serve double duty as wood gatherers.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
On body: Cold Steel Tuff-Lite folder.
On pack: Cold Steel Recon-1, Kellam WP7 'Slasher', Fiskars hatchet/hammer, Wire saw.
In Vehicle: Two (2) Cold Steel Katana Machetes (painstakingly edged), Folding camp saw.
In MotorHome: awesome steak knives and a few crappy ones.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I did a test to see what would be the best for cutting small limbs and trees in a survival situation with the following items.
[/URL]
The SOG Tomahawk did better than the knives especially on small limbs, the hatchet was better than the SOG Tamahawk for larger supported branches and trees but if they have some give to them then most of the force is wasted. But what beat all of them hands down was the Coleman camp saw and it was the cheapest maybe even the lightest and would cut from small limbs to small trees.

Coleman - Camp Saw
I'm looking for a real good saw, I have a sven saw but it is a little bigger and more complicated than I like (ok, its not complicated just a little annoying). Reason is - I have a lot of AWESOME chopping blades, but chopping makes a LOT of noise, and if I'm ever needing to 'bug out' I don't think chopping sounds that can be heard for miles around are something I want to be making...

Just a hought.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
A spartan blade or two are very high on my 'to buy' list. Although I don't think they will be moving up anytime soon :(.
Spartan Blades probably make the best combat knives in the world. I have one, and a KaBar, and the KaBar doesn't hold a candle to it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts