Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

· Administrator
15,775 Posts
Chrome is for: ease of cleanup, corrosive ammo, and it does effect accuracy. From what I have read a non-chrome lined barrel is more accurate. I never heard of chrome lining upping the reliability of cycling east block ammo, its the barrel that's chromed not the feed ramp from what I understand.
Accuracy with an AKM using COMBLOC surplus ammo is not great to begin with.:joyous:
I prefer the chrome lining, my Mosin's have it as well. Accuracy? If I can hit a man in the torso at 50 yards, both the rifle and myself have done our jobs.;)

Reactions: SOCOM42

· Registered
9,222 Posts
Chrome is for easy of cleanup, corrosive ammo, and it does effect accuracy. From what I have read a non-chrome lined barrel is more accurate. I never heard of chrome lining upping the reliability of cycling east block ammo, its the barrel that's chromed not the feed ramp from what I understand.
I don't understand your reference to the feed ramp, I am not talking about feeding from the mag..

The reliability comes from the chrome lined chamber.
The chrome does two things, prevents micro pitting of the chamber wall and increases lubricity, needed when using coated cases.
The short of it is, it keeps the cases from sticking in the chamber, second, slows the washing out of the throat.
Accuracy changes between the two interiors are insignificant, we are not talking match grade rifles here, but short- medium range high volume fire weapons.
The chrome also extends the barrel's rifling life also.

· Registered
21 Posts
Accuracy with an AKM using COMBLOC surplus ammo is not great to begin with.:joyous:
I prefer the chrome lining, my Mosin's have it as well. Accuracy? If I can hit a man in the torso at 50 yards, both the rifle and myself have done our jobs.;)
True, so why make it worse? If you plan on using corrosive ammo (aka your mosin's) I totally agree. But helping with cycling? Never heard of that...

The serbian (aka yugo's) are fine without a chrome barrel. I don't shoot milsurp corrosive because 7.62x39 steel cased is cheap enough as is and its new production and non-corrosive.

· Registered
21 Posts
I don't understand your reference to the feed ramp, I am not talking about feeding from the mag..

The reliability comes from the chrome lined chamber.
The chrome does two things, prevents micro pitting of the chamber wall and increases lubricity, needed when using coated cases.
The short of it is, it keeps the cases from sticking in the chamber, second, slows the washing out of the throat.
Accuracy changes between the two interiors are insignificant, we are not talking match grade rifles here, but short- medium range high volume fire weapons.
The chrome also extends the barrel's rifling life also.
Ok, never heard of that, but it makes sense. The barrels aren't like the old ones though, they are good for a ton of rounds. Unless you plan on shooting 50k or so.

***Ok Just read up on the NPAP barrel: 30-40k I was a little off. But damn that's a lot of rounds. From what I also read chrome lining extends it 500-2k so not a substantial difference when we're talking 30-40k.

Like I said, chrome definitely has its uses, but I don't consider it a "must have" on an AK.

· Registered
9,222 Posts
True, so why make it worse? If you plan on using corrosive ammo (aka your mosin's) I totally agree. But helping with cycling? Never heard of that...

The serbian (aka yugo's) are fine without a chrome barrel. I don't shoot milsurp corrosive because 7.62x39 steel cased is cheap enough as is and its new production and non-corrosive.
I really don't think, given two identical AK's, one with and one without chrome, you could tell the difference in the accuracy.

You do and shoot what you want, I know what will keep my ass alive, if need be.

That steel cased ammo you speak of is most likely coated with a polymer or lacquer.

Why are all US military infantry rifles chrome lined???

Put a lot through it like in a firefight, you will see what I am talking about.

I have been in the gunsmithing business for a long time, I speak from application not some web page commando's posting.

· Registered
21 Posts
I really don't think, given two identical AK's, one with and one without chrome, you could tell the difference in the accuracy.

You do and shoot what you want, I know what will keep my ass alive, if need be.

That steel cased ammo you speak of is most likely coated with a polymer or lacquer.

Why are all US military infantry rifles chrome lined???

Put a lot through it like in a firefight, you will see what I am talking about.

I have been in the gunsmithing business for a long time, I speak from application not some web page commando's posting.
You have your preference yes, from real life. I totally understand that. I have been shooting for a long time also. Maybe not in a firefight, but shooting none the less. I love my AKs, they have never let me down.

Like I said chrome lined has its uses, but I don't think it is a deal breaker when it comes to an AK, that's all I'm trying to say.

***Also no offense but I don't know you, so to me you are just some guy on a web page >.> But I am new here and I trust what you say until proven otherwise.

· Registered
9,222 Posts
***Also no offense but I don't know you, so to me you are just some guy on a web page >.> But I am new here and I trust what you say until proven otherwise.
That is fine, you don't have to believe anything of what I say, I would not blame you.
When I say gunsmith, that includes 50+ years of manufacturing, military armorer of twenty years depot level (guard), police armorer 20 years.
Plus conventional type gunsmithing. It is all intermixed starting in 1958.
Hope you enjoy and learn something here.

· Registered
5,453 Posts
N pap, O pap and WASR 10/63 are sort of the top notch budget guns. The pap rifles are non standard so you can't just swap parts like you can with a WASR. I don't need to though. My N pap just keeps gobbling up ammo. I love it but based on the ammo I think I'll stick with the AR as my go-to.

· Administrator
15,775 Posts
All AKs in the US come from two sources, companies that buy demilitarized AK parts and reassemble them on US made receivers, and AKs that are made entirely in the US. Kalashnikov has recently opened a plant in the US.
Kalashnikov USA | Russian Heritage ? American Innovation
I have to disagree here.
Mine says on the right side of the receiver:
"Made by En Romarm SA/Cugir
In Romania
Imported CIA Georgia VT"

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.