Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Which AK ?

5K views 35 replies 17 participants last post by  rice paddy daddy 
In the summer of 2007 when the democratic side of the presidential race got down to Hillary and Obama, and the Repub was McCain, I figured I'd better strike while the iron was hot and bought a Romanian Cugir WASR 10. It looked like a hard time for guns was a-comin'.
I knew about the early faults of WASR's and what to look for - mag well, canted gas block/sights, etc. The one I bought was fine, had none of the defects.
I paid $319 + tax at my local Ace Hardware for the rifle, bayonet, sling, two magazines, oil bottle, and buttstock cleaning kit.
***NOTE: if your local Ace Hdwe does not sell guns and ammo along with 2X4's and nails, you obviously live in the wrong part of America.

It works just fine, I mean it's an AKM, what can go wrong? I personally do not like the ergonomics of the butt stock - and with so little money tied up in the rifle I don't really want to replace it with one of the colapsible stocks.
It is my last ditch weapon, I have others I can use that are more powerful and fit me better.

Reactions: Slippy
Chrome is for: ease of cleanup, corrosive ammo, and it does effect accuracy. From what I have read a non-chrome lined barrel is more accurate. I never heard of chrome lining upping the reliability of cycling east block ammo, its the barrel that's chromed not the feed ramp from what I understand.
Accuracy with an AKM using COMBLOC surplus ammo is not great to begin with.:joyous:
I prefer the chrome lining, my Mosin's have it as well. Accuracy? If I can hit a man in the torso at 50 yards, both the rifle and myself have done our jobs.;)

Reactions: SOCOM42
All AKs in the US come from two sources, companies that buy demilitarized AK parts and reassemble them on US made receivers, and AKs that are made entirely in the US. Kalashnikov has recently opened a plant in the US.
Kalashnikov USA | Russian Heritage ? American Innovation
I have to disagree here.
Mine says on the right side of the receiver:
"Made by En Romarm SA/Cugir
In Romania
Imported CIA Georgia VT"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.