Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
9,222 Posts
The WASR is pretty good for the money, of all them sold at the LGS, none have come back for me to repair.
Make sure the one you get if it is your choice is cut for standard 30 round mags.
There are some made for single stack 10 rounders for commie states like this one.
I have a Poly Legend from the first import lot when they came in, very well made.
Added an M1 carbine rear sight to it, that doubled the sight radius, and it really improved hit capability.
Another is a Norinco, very first import AK, closer to the WASR, never fails to do its part.
I don't like the Yugo's because of the lack of chrome lining.
The chrome ups the reliability of east block ammo cycling through.

· Registered
9,222 Posts
Chrome is for easy of cleanup, corrosive ammo, and it does effect accuracy. From what I have read a non-chrome lined barrel is more accurate. I never heard of chrome lining upping the reliability of cycling east block ammo, its the barrel that's chromed not the feed ramp from what I understand.
I don't understand your reference to the feed ramp, I am not talking about feeding from the mag..

The reliability comes from the chrome lined chamber.
The chrome does two things, prevents micro pitting of the chamber wall and increases lubricity, needed when using coated cases.
The short of it is, it keeps the cases from sticking in the chamber, second, slows the washing out of the throat.
Accuracy changes between the two interiors are insignificant, we are not talking match grade rifles here, but short- medium range high volume fire weapons.
The chrome also extends the barrel's rifling life also.

· Registered
9,222 Posts
True, so why make it worse? If you plan on using corrosive ammo (aka your mosin's) I totally agree. But helping with cycling? Never heard of that...

The serbian (aka yugo's) are fine without a chrome barrel. I don't shoot milsurp corrosive because 7.62x39 steel cased is cheap enough as is and its new production and non-corrosive.
I really don't think, given two identical AK's, one with and one without chrome, you could tell the difference in the accuracy.

You do and shoot what you want, I know what will keep my ass alive, if need be.

That steel cased ammo you speak of is most likely coated with a polymer or lacquer.

Why are all US military infantry rifles chrome lined???

Put a lot through it like in a firefight, you will see what I am talking about.

I have been in the gunsmithing business for a long time, I speak from application not some web page commando's posting.

· Registered
9,222 Posts
***Also no offense but I don't know you, so to me you are just some guy on a web page >.> But I am new here and I trust what you say until proven otherwise.
That is fine, you don't have to believe anything of what I say, I would not blame you.
When I say gunsmith, that includes 50+ years of manufacturing, military armorer of twenty years depot level (guard), police armorer 20 years.
Plus conventional type gunsmithing. It is all intermixed starting in 1958.
Hope you enjoy and learn something here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.