Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Read Only
1,389 Posts
I have a GP WASR 10. Nothing fancy but it will get the job done.
I changed the furniture out for a composite fore-stock and collapsible but stock. If you have long arms like I do the factory butt stock will be to short for your length of pull, a add on collapsible will fix that.

The iron sights were terrible, way off and could not be adjusted in. Switched to a reflex optic mounted on the upper fore-stock and problem solved. All in all I have about 520.00 invested.

Not my favorite weapon but it has a place and a purpose. The trigger is rough but it eats any type of cheap ammo I feed it and its easy to maintenance.

WASR's are not to be considered "top shelf" so if your looking for the very best of the variant these rifles are not going to make you happy.

·
Registered
12,501 Posts
Depends on what you want to spend. I really like the Polish underfolder and the Hungarian AMD 65. Poly tec legends are hard to beat but you may spend 3k on one if you can find it. Arsenal has a good reputation. https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/ak-47-74-rifles/ak-47-rifles.html Atlantic has a good selection. Research and pose the question on AK forum. Many of these AK enthusiasts assemble their own builds and modify a lot of guns. Do you want the 7.62 or 5.45 version (AK 74)? 7.62 is bit more range limited but more thump closer in. Let us know what you decide and why. By the way a few variants use the .223.

Reactions: Arklatex

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
If you’re looking for the top of the line AK, there are a lot of custom builders that make fantastic rifles. For the commercial market you can’t go wrong with a Arsenal. The Century C39V2 and the Zastava O-pap are good rifles that are priced in the middle. It all depends on your price point and what you want. You do get what you pay for if you know what to look for.

·
Registered
7,429 Posts
Hey guys decided on the AK as my long. But honestly I don't know which version is top. Bulgarian ? Pros and cons ? Any help is appreciated !
QUOTE=Viper;338390]I know I'm gonna sound like some a-hole, but really?. Why would you ask a bunch of strangers on a web site what they think YOU should do. It's your life, wife and friend. Plan for and do what YOU think is the best course of action for YOU and yours.[/QUOTE

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE=Viper;338390]I know I'm gonna sound like some a-hole, but really?. Why would you ask a bunch of strangers on a web site what they think YOU should do. It's your life, wife and friend. Plan for and do what YOU think is the best course of action for YOU and yours.[/QUOTE
Because you know more about firearms than I do.

·
Read Only
1,389 Posts
Thanks for the input. What I want is a rugged AK that is cheap and durable. Like in the $500-600 range. I suppose what I mean by 'top' is , most durable and reliable. Not necessarily the top of the line .
If those are your requirements then you should consider a WASR 10. Cheap, durable, never had a feed jam, or fail to fire.
You could bury it in mud, dig it up, wash it off, and start shooting.
500- 600 dollar price range will get you upgraded optics and better hardware than factory issue.
Happy shooting :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If those are your requirements then you should consider a WASR 10. Cheap, durable, never had a feed jam, or fail to fire.
You could bury it in mud, dig it up, wash it off, and start shooting.
500- 600 dollar price range will get you upgraded optics and better hardware than factory issue.
Happy shooting :)
The exact answer I was looking for . Thank you sir.

"Plans fail for lack of council, but with many advisors they succeed."

-Proverbs 15:22

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
take a loot at classic arms.
and altlantic arms
both have a decent selection
I would look for an underfolder (just my preference)
you need to get the one you like and are comfortable with price, style ect.
I like the yugos and the IO versions the poly stock plain IO runs about $499.00 which is a good score.
also decide if a side rail mount (for optics) is some thing that matters to you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Can I install optics w/o the side mount ?
You can replace the hand guards with railed ones, for a red dot.

I have a N-PAP a WASR and a neat little variant called a vz2008. I love them all and not one cost me over $500.00.

My dad kind of claimed my WASR but its all good...

Still want to get an AMD 65 and a Polish Tantal (5.45x39) some day >.>

·
Administrator
15,718 Posts
In the summer of 2007 when the democratic side of the presidential race got down to Hillary and Obama, and the Repub was McCain, I figured I'd better strike while the iron was hot and bought a Romanian Cugir WASR 10. It looked like a hard time for guns was a-comin'.
I knew about the early faults of WASR's and what to look for - mag well, canted gas block/sights, etc. The one I bought was fine, had none of the defects.
I paid $319 + tax at my local Ace Hardware for the rifle, bayonet, sling, two magazines, oil bottle, and buttstock cleaning kit.
***NOTE: if your local Ace Hdwe does not sell guns and ammo along with 2X4's and nails, you obviously live in the wrong part of America.

It works just fine, I mean it's an AKM, what can go wrong? I personally do not like the ergonomics of the butt stock - and with so little money tied up in the rifle I don't really want to replace it with one of the colapsible stocks.
It is my last ditch weapon, I have others I can use that are more powerful and fit me better.

Reactions: Slippy

·
Registered
9,222 Posts
The WASR is pretty good for the money, of all them sold at the LGS, none have come back for me to repair.
Make sure the one you get if it is your choice is cut for standard 30 round mags.
There are some made for single stack 10 rounders for commie states like this one.
I have a Poly Legend from the first import lot when they came in, very well made.
Added an M1 carbine rear sight to it, that doubled the sight radius, and it really improved hit capability.
Another is a Norinco, very first import AK, closer to the WASR, never fails to do its part.
I don't like the Yugo's because of the lack of chrome lining.
The chrome ups the reliability of east block ammo cycling through.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The WASR is pretty good for the money, of all them sold at the LGS, none have come back for me to repair.
Make sure the one you get if it is your choice is cut for standard 30 round mags.
There are some made for single stack 10 rounders for commie states like this one.
I have a Poly Legend from the first import lot when they came in, very well made.
Added an M1 carbine rear sight to it, that doubled the sight radius, and it really improved hit capability.
Another is a Norinco, very first import AK, closer to the WASR, never fails to do its part.
I don't like the Yugo's because of the lack of chrome lining.
The chrome ups the reliability of east block ammo cycling through.
Chrome is for: ease of cleanup, corrosive ammo, and it does effect accuracy. From what I have read a non-chrome lined barrel is more accurate. I never heard of chrome lining upping the reliability of cycling east block ammo, its the barrel that's chromed not the feed ramp from what I understand.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.