Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I want to buy some rice and grains for long term storage. I have the buckets, special bags and oxygen sucking things. Can you just go to a regular supermarket and buy the big cheap bags of white rice and use them? Or is there a better way to do it? Also does it matter what kind of rice and grains I buy or are they pretty much all the same in terms of long term storage?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Buy whatever it is you like to eat. If you don't eat it now do you think you will enjoy eating it when you are in a jam? Every food has its own way of storage.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Buy whatever it is you like to eat. If you don't eat it now do you think you will enjoy eating it when you are in a jam? Every food has its own way of storage.
Yea I get the fact I need to buy food I like. What I'm asking is do I need to buy special types of rice for long term storage or does all rice store equally well?

·
Super Moderator
8,575 Posts
From what I have found, white rice stores much longer than brown rice. If memory serves correctly, brown rice about 7yrs and up to 15 or so for white rice.

Over the years, after tossing food that went bad, I have found that you buy in quantity what you normally and cycle through it. The major problem in my family is my wife prefers brown rice and my preference is white. So we have both. :)

I also have dehydrated stuff and canned meat stored for when the SHTF.

·
Registered
466 Posts
For buying in bulk and usually a little cheaper, you may try a resturant food supply if avail in your area. Otherwise, I would go to sams club etc and get it there. White rice goes at least double storage time of brown rice.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For buying in bulk and usually a little cheaper, you may try a resturant food supply if avail in your area. Otherwise, I would go to sams club etc and get it there. White rice goes at least double storage time of brown rice.
Good advise I have several near me. After I buy the rice do you need to do anything to it? Like wash it, freeze it, etc...??

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hi guys I want to buy some rice and grains for long term storage. I have the buckets, special bags and oxygen sucking things. Can you just go to a regular supermarket and buy the big cheap bags of white rice and use them? Or is there a better way to do it? Also does it matter what kind of rice and grains I buy or are they pretty much all the same in terms of long term storage?
Why go to the supermarket when you can get the best deals online from our store?! we will deliver anything shipping free! welcome to our store and let us know if there is anything we can assist with!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Why go to the supermarket when you can get the best deals online from our store?! we will deliver anything shipping free! welcome to our store and let us know if there is anything we can assist with!
Sorry I was out of town for a while. I'm very interested in what you can offer. Are you a vendor on here? What do you recommend as a good starter kit? Something to build upon?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts