Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
We're new to prepping, and don't really know where to go from here? I have started with a ruger sr45. What is the next step? To invest in Rifle? Shot gun? Bugout bag? Water, water filter? I have to save up to make bigger purchases. I'm just not sure what's next.
Where you live and where you plan to weather the storm make your question hard to answer. I would worry more about
1. Water and water treatment systems
2. Food for as many months as you can store, first get about 100 pounds of rice and beans
3. Sanitation, i.e. how are you going to burry your poop, disease will kill millions SHTF
4. Shelter which includes keeping dry, warm, and the ability to protect it.

If we had more information we could be more specific.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
If you are staying in place you MUST find a natural source of water, there is no way you can store enough. This will mean digging or drilling a well or having the means to get water from a well without the power grid functioning. You may have a source available in the neighborhood which means you will need some way to haul it, maybe a heavy duty wagon or cart, don't assume your automobile will be available. Don't assume open water sources will be drinkable, if that is your plan get a Berkley Water Filter.

If you cannot get water plan on bugging out to where you can, you don't want to end up 4 weeks into a collapse being forced to move. If you plan on bugging out now you can start working on packs and sleeping bags and all the other travel related items.

Next what is your sewage system? If you are on a public system you need to plan on plugging the toilets and any floor drains to eliminate backups as they will happen. Bugging in will be miserable with raw sewage in your house, also you need a shovel to dig a latrine. Disease and disintary will be huge killers in a collapse, make plans now to avoid these threats. Also make a garbage disposal plan to either burry or burn trash.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.