Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wouldn't know where to start, I can't even change my own oil without breaking something. I guess its time to start since I will more than likely be doing this in the future.

I'm thinking a old rodeo or passport around 2 grand and just bugging the hell out of it with armor plates, extra gas storage, blacked out windows, emp protection, radios, emergency kits etc.

Mainly getting a lot of old used parts in case I need to replace them.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I haven't put too much thought into a BOV, mainly because they are loud! If I was thinking about a vehicle this is what I would look at:

EMP proof, something older without a "computer". mid to late 80's wrangler maybe?
Something common so that you can scavenge parts for it
Durable 4x4, roads will be bogged down with dead vehicles and probably will be impassible.

I think an isuzu would be a good choice, they run forever! I will be in the market for a new ride here soon, and I've been thinking a Jeep Wrangler for a few months now....but they are kinda pricey!

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
I like the CR-V but that's me. They aren't say robust as a lifted Cherokee on a rough country suspension but imho you won;t be crawling anything post shtf, you'll be looking for gasoline and parts which the CR-V is stellar as far as mileage and reliability. I am not worrying about and EMP, that's the bottom percentile of possible outcomes.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Leon said:
I like the CR-V but that's me. They aren't say robust as a lifted Cherokee on a rough country suspension but imho you won;t be crawling anything post shtf, you'll be looking for gasoline and parts which the CR-V is stellar as far as mileage and reliability. I am not worrying about and EMP, that's the bottom percentile of possible outcomes.
I have a 99 CRV. It goes everywhere you want it to go just like something with 4x4 but not as robost as one of those heavy duty 4x4's. Mine has 150k miles on it and only had to replace a crack in the radiator so far. I never thought about using it as a bov until today. Time to get the radios hooked up, the extra batteries, and other goodies!

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
Here, I'll post some of the load outs Ive run, did you know there's an ice bag area and a folding table under the floor? I got an 01 and yours has the same table and waterproof bin under there with the jack, makes a great tool storage area. And the back door cargo box is good for stowing a fire extinguisher or a water tank, it has straps to secure it.

Gas tanks and full load out with gear and weapons.

Cr-v with table and camp set

CR-V bugging out from a shoot through a couple mud pits

Cr-v communications and PA

Crv in pine log climbing up to a rough soft food plot and running around on it

Me and glockwork getting ready to ride it into the forest to find the old nuclear aircraft test facility on a deer trail

Hope it helps, I and glockwork9 made some of the only detailed land footage of pine log mountain wildlife management area on the internet in it and the little thing proved a champ across some pretty scary trails. Loose rock, 2-foot deep rain ruts, all that. Up hill in the leaves and everything, if you got AWD you can hang to a certain point. It doesn't rock crawl well but surprisingly it can climb the smoother steeper grades pretty well. It's capable of way way more than ppl think. They use these as army jeeps in Syria now, black '01 cry's with brush guards.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Nice rig, does that CRV really get 34mpg?? I've been eyeballin Jeep Wranglers, but if a CRV actually can get 30+ MPG that would be a huge game changer in my book...

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
It gets pretty damn good gas mileage, I'd say closer to 27-29mpg though. The 98-00 models have a slightly smaller engine though so that may be so for those models. Mine has the B20Z engine. Suzuki samurai also get huge gas mileage, specially in the highway gear. Also look into KEI-class trucks, those will get more like 40mpg and upwards for a little suzuki carry or daihatsu hijet. They are a little rare in the US but I do see them on craigslist

·
Registered
2 Posts
A dirt bike model 94 or earlier with no chips in it. If you think a vehicle with 4 tires is going to do anything special when the roads are all in gridlock, your in for a nasty suprise. If I had to choose a vehicle though it would be my jeep wrangler with a stinger and wench on the front hands down.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What kind of roof rack is on that CRV? YAKIMA? I can't make it out clearly. My CRV doesn't have any type of roof rack and I really like that one, and I'm assuming that is one that is a clip on?

·
Banned
1,683 Posts
it's a yakima cargo basket on clips. I am going to be getting a full size 4X4 pickup with a slide in camper on it and equip it with a raincatch, solar ect. load my bug out gear on it, some spare parts and a roof rack with a ladder up the size and bam= my new BOV. If not that I am converting a honda pilot to a BOV

·
Registered
693 Posts
I have been looking at Chevy Colorado Crew Cabs, might not be the size you want but they have the extended 4 door cab so you can stash more in with you directly.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I dig the bike idea but we're a five person family. Main roads might gridlock but it'd have to be a weird scenario for back roads to be clogged. I'm thinkin' a truck and a full size camper. I'd go with the armor for sure. Plus our bug out location is pretty far away from us right now and we'll need somethin' to stay in on the way 'cause as it's been pointed out, the main could be unusable. Once we get there we'll be able to just drop the trailer for the last few miles and kick it into 4wd.
Speaking of armor http://www.caranddriver.com/features/ho ... roof-a-car

·
Registered
15 Posts
MountainMan said:
I dig the bike idea but we're a five person family. Main roads might gridlock but it'd have to be a weird scenario for back roads to be clogged. I'm thinkin' a truck and a full size camper. I'd go with the armor for sure. Plus our bug out location is pretty far away from us right now and we'll need somethin' to stay in on the way 'cause as it's been pointed out, the main could be unusable. Once we get there we'll be able to just drop the trailer for the last few miles and kick it into 4wd.
Speaking of armor http://www.caranddriver.com/features/ho ... roof-a-car
Awesome armor! I hear the Mercedes 700 series has bullet proof glass? Got to get me one of those at the local auction, so I can be a prepper in style!

All seriously, if shtf, your driving down the roadway and some yaahoo decides to through a brick through your windshield or shoot through it, it will save your life. Although I'm not going out to get a Mercedes 700 series (I cannot afford it), I think they should make all safety features like this available in cars instead of worrying about if it has a iphone jack. Detroit, if your reading this, pleasee make a car that is designed for preppers!

·
Registered
693 Posts
You can get ballistic glass put int your car, you could get a subaru wagon and put that in it! People would laugh at you but they couldn't kill ya! Problem is if they shoot the glass it'll still crack so it's kind of a one time use....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Having an older vehical that you can pick up cheaply and make nice safe and reliable is what I planned on when I got my 1966 ford bronco, I plan on getting a large ammo can and having all the extra "electronic" devices needed to make a gas engine run. Blaster coil, spark plugs/wires, fueses (lots of fueses), spare bulbs, top end of the distributer. I mean compared to a new car/truck/suv that is like comparing a Sony PS3 to a Atari! may not have all the frills and thrills but it gets the job done lol. With the ammo can I am going to insulate the interior with high density foam and tape the exterior with aluminum tape, to make it eaiser to get to after the fact I am going to have a thin but sturdy wire around the lip of the can so I can grab and pull; there fore cutting the tape (like what they do for cheese or gum)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts