Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aside from obtaining water in stores and such where it would probably be crowded, I only would have enough water to last a day, when generally get home situations can span three days. My question is, because I live in a dense urban sprawl, where can I find water to refill my pack in an emergency situation, such as a power outage or a more extreme alternative (hurricanes don't count obviously). This isn't the wilderness, I am trying to get hydrated in the city.

·
Registered
357 Posts
..I live in a dense urban sprawl, where can I find water to refill my pack in an emergency situation, such as a power outage or a more extreme alternative (hurricanes don't count obviously). This isn't the wilderness, I am trying to get hydrated in the city.
Me too, because if the kitchen tap runs dry (because a plague or whatever has zapped the water workers) I'm about 5 miles from the nearest fresh river water.
I live in Plymouth UK (my place circled) only 50 yards from the Atlantic but I can't touch a drop of it unless I can buy some kind of still to remove the salt, can any PF members recommend a good model?

·
Registered
9,183 Posts
You can get water from a hot water tank, use wisely, same goes for a toilet tank if you are wise enough to not dump it in a flush.

They have a drain on the bottom of the heater that you can gravity drain it.

At the point you need that there will be no running water anyways.

If you have a hard time getting it getting it out open the pressure relief valve on top to break the vacuum.

You may have to filter out some solids that build up at the bottom of the tank, they won't hurt you just nasty to look at.

Flushing a water heater is a good idea once a year. Screwed if a tankless type.

If this is a concern, why not put back a dozen gallons of warter to be safe???

I have town water, a well, a river behind me and a lake out front,

but I still have about 25 gallons of Wally World distilled water jugs put away in unused closet and cabinet space and more in my shop.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I think most cities have numerous parks with lakes and ponds. Also there are normally several municipal golf courses, each with several water features. I prefer the Sawyer Mini for water purification but I also have several Lifestraws. Just hunt up your closest pond, river or lake.

·
Registered
8,213 Posts
I think most cities have numerous parks with lakes and ponds. Also there are normally several municipal golf courses, each with several water features. I prefer the Sawyer Mini for water purification but I also have several Lifestraws. Just hunt up your closest pond, river or lake.
They don't do viruses or chemicals, and the city water is full of them. Be well armed in city parks.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Aside from obtaining water in stores and such where it would probably be crowded, I only would have enough water to last a day, when generally get home situations can span three days. My question is, because I live in a dense urban sprawl, where can I find water to refill my pack in an emergency situation, such as a power outage or a more extreme alternative (hurricanes don't count obviously). This isn't the wilderness, I am trying to get hydrated in the city.
As a last resort, you can distill the blood of your enemies into potable water.

·
Registered
9,183 Posts
Well, there IS a bathtub already there.........
Yeah, but, with that package filled it will be 4 times (apx) the weight of a normal bath filling.

Water is heavy!

I would worry about older homes like around here 75-125 years old, second and third floor baths.

Most here have cellars with 2x8 spans that could be suffering from dry rot or termites and carpenter ants.

Most of you southern guys build on concrete pads from what I understand, nowhere for it to go there.

I didn't say not to get it, I just said make sure of the floor supporting the weight, a lot of those English house are OLD.

·
Registered
8,823 Posts
Yeah, but, with that package filled it will be 4 times (apx) the weight of a normal bath filling.

Water is heavy!

I would worry about older homes like around here 75-125 years old, second and third floor baths.

Most here have cellars with 2x8 spans that could be suffering from dry rot or termites and carpenter ants.

Most of you southern guys build on concrete pads from what I understand, nowhere for it to go there.
It's capable of holding 100 gallons. That's about 830 lbs. Would you be afraid of 4 average adults standing next to each other anywhere in your home?

I've seen 150 and 200-gallon whirlypools in homes with NO additional framing.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Most places have city parks, forest preserves, etc with hand pump water. go early during the crisis on a night run, everybody else will be looting big screen TV's, shoes, and jewelry stores.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.