Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

141 - 153 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have been prepping, survival mode, for about 50 years. I am 59.
My story is when I was in cub scouts, Webelos, I went along with boy scouts.
All of my scout masters thru the years were all ex military. Most of my friends
Are ex military, so I have been doing this a long time , at various stages.
If you have never camped, start because you might have to one day.
That will prepare you for various ideas.
Food, water, shelter, , then you can tweak that for your home. Rotate all your stuff, go thru it on a regular basis. I have had to throw away more over the years than you would believe. I have found stuff I had bought and forgot about. Learn bushcraft, firearms, and train, ect. Most of all have a plan, a backup plan, and oh crap plan. I am a member of a small group of Friends that are like minded.
This is a good place for ideas, I'm not on here much, but might be more in future, my working career is winding down. Most of all be careful who knows what you got, including family and friends. I would also have medical supplies on hand. There are lots of other things to consider, walk before you run, but just start

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
I would also add that not all "survival groups" are right off a boat like the good ship HOPE. Think of sports like auto racing. Now periodically you might have to pry a driver out of a burning car. In other words, it's survival with a crowbar not a tongue depressor.

One of the guys in our club just wanted to use his fully stocked pick-up and treat our bikers as he did with soldiers in Southeast Asia. At first it seemed like overkill, pardon the pun, but over the years he pulled his weight. Heck, my nose was broken.

Before I met this guy I was always amazed that people treated him like he was their church pastor. All those early years of fast bikes and marginal brakes and no one died. This man definitely changed my outlook.

·
Super Moderator
3,480 Posts
Yes it is. I carry them in all of my vehicles and GHB backpack

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
I prefer the Sawyer Mini Filters. They are more versatile.

Oh, no! You're not going to do that old trick again on a newbie, are you?

Remember what happened? Annie got so mad you had to do her forum work for two weeks--all the time wearing her dress. Ok, ok, you do have great legs, I'll give you that.

And just so we're straight, you do know that no newbie ever could crawl down that middle of a mini-filter. Sure, one guy made it half-way, and screamed for us to cut him out while Denton took pictures...

·
Registered
Self-sustained liveaboard
347 Posts
This is great! Thanks from a newbie! I was planning on getting life straws. Is that a good idea?
I prefer the Sawyer Mini Filters. They are more versatile.
I carry both as I find they have different uses for me.

The life straw I use for straight to the source, and wide mouth nalgenes that I keep separate for "dirty" water.
The sawyer I use to fill the nalgenes or bladders that are for "clean" water since it has the squeeze bag for this purpose. I also use it on the "dirty water" bladder in my backpack since it can be attached to the straw for that.

Word to the wise: don't mix up your dirty / clean bottles and bladders :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
This is great. It may be an older thread, but still pertinent and still being responded to. I’ll add my 2 cents regarding canned goods. Canned vegetables have always been a part of my preps. They say prep what you eat and we follow that mantra in our family. I recently ran across a case of canned goods with a best by date in 2017. The cans were still in good shape. The contents have been fine so far as taste, color and texture. They include cut green beans, red beans, whole kernel corn, sliced carrots and sliced new potatoes. There were even a few cans of chunk pineapple (note: the pineapple should NOT have been in there). The pineapple was also just fine. All of my food preps are stored at a constant 68-70 degrees f., and a humidity level less than 65%. I also package my dry goods in 4 or 5 pound packages so I’m not having a 5 gal bucket open for an extended time.

·
Registered
334 Posts
From a new prepper to new preppers:
Guys: the first thing novice prepper wanna do is stock up on food. Flour and pasta are big ones, although I don't know if they should be. A month or two later the whole frickin stock pile is gone. Know why? CAUSE YOU ATE THE WHOLE DAMN THING! Don't do it guys. Don't do it. I did it 4 times before I figured it out.

·
Super Moderator
9,503 Posts
From a new prepper to new preppers:
Guys: the first thing novice prepper wanna do is stock up on food. Flour and pasta are big ones, although I don't know if they should be. A month or two later the whole frickin stock pile is gone. Know why? CAUSE YOU ATE THE WHOLE DAMN THING! Don't do it guys. Don't do it. I did it 4 times before I figured it out.
The best way to start is to stock up on what you normally eat. Buy a can of soup, get an extra one and rotate your stock. FIFO. It's the same with all the food you normally eat. Do that and you will be surprised how quickly your storage will increase. Now when we run out of something, my wife can go to the storage shelf and pick up what she needs without running to the store.

When the shelves were cleared out at the beginning of the scamdemic, we only went out for fresh veggies. We needed nothing else from the store. AND we didn't even have to think about getting into the long term storage stuff.

·
Registered
8,820 Posts
The trick to having ___ months of food stored up is to buy more when you are DOWN to that point. Don't go out and buy that much, then use it all, then go out and buy it all over again.

For instance, if you calculate you need _ number of canned goods to last you that _ months, never let yourself get below that. Once you're down to that ___ months' worth, buy more.

Think of it as keeping your gas tank at least 3/4 full at all times.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I would wish myself and perhaps everyone who needs to pay attention to aspects that relate to special skills.
These skills always remain with us in any situation.
Everything else can be lost (and very easy), even if there was a lot of useful things and food (taking into account duplication and multiple redundancy).

Survival happens not when the man has the necessary equipment, water, food, shelter and other joys of life.
Because it's just a normal life according to a predetermined plan (if a man is a prepper).
Yes, many people do not have any plans at all, but this is their business.

It is quite another thing when there is almost no special clothes on a man, the surrounding situation is absolutely unfriendly, the equipment is missing (even if it had before).
A man can be sick, he wants to drink water, he wants to eat, maybe he has injured and morally depressed.
For example, if someone leaves me in the tundra or a very hot desert, then I will not live long if I won't be incredibly lucky.
But I know those who will be ten times better than me and they will survive there.

I have an endless list of desires as a prepper. But the most important thing I consider the ability to limit my desires and be able to be content with the minimum number of things.
As for the number of useful reserves, the limit of my greed is there, where the number of reserves becomes a problem for mobility, if necessary.
In addition, reserves may be lost for a number of other reasons, and this is very disappointing.

As for the choice of equipment, one military instructor likes to say that the best equipment is the equipment that you have in a crisis situation.
We all love high-quality things, but life can work out otherwise and you need to be able to use what is.

141 - 153 of 153 Posts