Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

121 - 140 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Well, experience has taught me that you should post regularly, If you disappear from the forum for six or thirty months they forget your name.

Actually, I took the time off, and got back to my first love, polishing. What did I miss?

BTW, I'm a changed man. I am now 70 years old. Went to the gym like always, and found I could only press three sets of 275 pounds--and the last lift was a "mercy lift" from a spotter.

As for humor, yeah, I joke around a bit, but yikes--have you sampled other forums? I've seen better banter at funerals. If I want a good night's sleep I send a text to a moderator...

So, have no fear. I want to meet people, hear stories new to me, and find out what I missed. I know I'll swap some recipes with Annie...
Good to see you back, Tourist!

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
How does a person learn to like a Jack Booted thug? Does he give free knives out to those who admire Jack the Ripper maybe?
Well, this is a forum. From time to time we are going to disagree. To that, Denton has a job to do, and my guess is that some times he signs out with a knot in his stomach. I don't want to do that simply because there's a disagreement in a hobbyist forum.

If Denton feels I crossed a line, I wouldn't be angry. I'd be embarrassed.

·
Registered
9,182 Posts
Well, this is a forum. From time to time we are going to disagree. To that, Denton has a job to do, and my guess is that some times he signs out with a knot in his stomach. I don't want to do that simply because there's a disagreement in a hobbyist forum.

There you go again! A hobbyist forum!!!!!!

How do you equate this place into a hobbyist forum????????????

I have been at this for 40+ years, my driving force was and is to survive whatever I could, have, and what may well now be coming.

This COVID19 bug was just a little bump in the road for us here because of the preps, lacked nothing.

That statement to me is an insult, I am sure it is to others also,

and you used it in your parting statement before leaving us for a more receptive forum.

My hobbies are, hematology, biology, amateur radio and cooking, nowhere does this survival preparation dovetail in as a hobby.

Flying was a hobby that turned into a profession for 10 years, that I had to drop out of.

I am a student of history, mostly of WW2, and the evolution of the US into a industrial giant in the 30's, not a hobby to me.

I am sure you will remember that I corrected you in a statement relative to a "U" boat on the great lakes, that is from my studies.

Saving your life may be a hobby to you, but not to me or others here.

I am here for several reasons, I do not need to be here for any survival information.

The two prime reasons I am here are, to help others with information I have garnered over the decades, second reason is,

To keep a finger on the pulse of the nation as others see it where they live, those that think like most of us do here.

I do not need this forum in any way, certainly not as a hobby.

I work on guns for a profession, that was a hobby 60 years ago that turned into a profession, I give advice here on them also.

·
Super Moderator
9,503 Posts

I agree about Denton and all of our current mods. I wouldn't have that job.

But survival is a hobby??? REALLY???

Frankly, being a part of the terrified masses doesn't appeal to me. Others were screaming about empty shelves when the panic hit. My wife just said good job.

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
Well all this lively discussion go me motivated to to get a couple of kitchen knives sharpened up in case we get a chub of baloney in one day and need to slice a sandwich..spread some mayo and slice and onion. Thats why I always carried a Kamp King in my days as a traveling salesmen. We could eat in the motel room. There ya go.

·
Registered
25 Posts
As a "Newbie" I really appreciate your post and especially the "set a goal" reminder. I want everything needed -Yesterday- but that isn't possible or practical. I am happy to learn I am already off to a pretty good start as when first searching for property in Maine, I chose an already well functioning self- sustainable living property over a house loaded with grandeur and elegance but not so much as an herb growing inside or out.
Currently I have 14 meat rabbits, 25 chickens both meat & egg, live on the bay/Atlantic with a boat for fishing seafood, only 5 acres but an enormous barn with many tools I need to learn to operate. Several garden areas already fenced, water catchment, generator (with the recommended switch), barns, coops, cages and more. I've only been here less than 2 months so I have a long ways to go. And even though I live at the end of a spit and this is not a very populated area, I do worry about safety/thieves in the event of utter chaos. Otherwise, I feel I am in a really great place to live a fully self-sustainable lifestyle. I look forward to learning (and hopefully contributing) more with this online community.

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
I do worry about safety/thieves in the event of utter chaos.

I read your post and was dismayed over your problem finding competent thieves. I've witnessed the problem, a low level thief breaks in and destroys more items than he takes with him. We're not going to let that happen here! I got two cousins--Alan and Johnny--and they are so professional that tomorrow when you look into your silverware drawer only the bent utensils will still be there! My cousins are thorough to every detail!

Welcome to the forum, I'm "The Tourist." If you need something sharpened, drop a line in the PM.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I wanted to start a thread on information that new preppers should start out with. Something to get them on the right tract. If enough seasoned preppers participate, this thread will be an excellent resource for newbie's to go to.

I will start the thread.

Food
Buy lots of food. Food should be one of your highest priorities besides water and defense. Get a mixture of food items that stores long term like rice and beans. The stuff your going to eat with the rice and beans. A variety of canned goods. Keep in mind that expiration dates are just the manufactures way to guarantee that their product will stay fresh and palatable. Use your judgment on how long after the expiration dates that you will keep them. Most items should be good years past their dates.

I keep MRE's in stock also. When they start to age then we use them for camping/hiking. Otherwise it is nice to have a stock of food you don't have to cook and can immediately eat cold if you want. Especially during a bug out.

Set your goals. Like one weeks worth of groceries, then just keep working your way up until you have six months of food or what ever you set as your ultimate goal of food storage.

Check out Step 3: Three Month Food Supply there is a really great excel spreadsheet that you can download that will help out with your food storage plan.

Consider getting a dehydrator. You can dehydrate a lot of foods and they will last a really long time especially if you store your stuff in Mylar bags inside of 5 gallon buckets with oxygen absorbers in them. You can learn how to store this way by watching some You Tube videos.

If you live in a rural area plant fruit trees. Once they mature you will have all the fruit you can eat and it will give you something to barter with.

Water
You will want to store water. How much? Well that's going to depend on your situation. Do you live in an apartment in the city or a homestead in a rural area?

If you drink those individual water bottle bottles then stock up heavy on them just keep in mind that the bottles are designed to break down over time. They will eventually leak. If you can not store a lot of water then prepare your self to be able to procure water from a source like a pond or stream. There are several ways to make water potable, water purification filters, chemical means like bleach and iodine tablets and boiling the water.

Power
Consider getting a generator for power outages. Especially if you live near the coast where a hurricane could mess you up. There are multi fuel generators available. Propane and gas, just gas, just propane and just diesel. If your going to invest in a generator then invest in a generator transfer switch.

The switch hooks up to your circuit breaker box and lets you have power with your generator but prevents back feeding the electrical line. It also does away with all of the extension cords. Reliance and Generac are good brand names.

Depending on the emergency you may not want to use it in a prolonged manner, just use it intermittently to keep your fridge and freezer cold. And you may not want to use lights in the evening. It will be like beacon to desperate people.

Defense
Your going to want a firearm to defend your family and property.

Which firearms should you use? Ask several different people and you will get several different answers. It is recommended that you standardize so ammunition and repair parts will be easier to stock. Stick to NATO type calibers with the addition of a few others. NATO calibers usually consist of 9mm, 45cal, 7.62X52mm/.308cal, 5.56mm/.223, 12gauge, .50cal, .300 win mag.

I would add the 7.62X39 to your possible lists to choose from, why? Because the AK 47 has a long time reputation of never breaking down/misfires and jams. AK's are relatively cheap. They can be used in a multi -purpose role. They are an excellent swamp gun for hunting, you can use high capacity magazines for defense/offense and at close to mid range they are pretty accurate. If you have bolt action scoped rifles that are very accurate. Use them for sniper rifles. The important thing is to have something. Something is better than nothing.

Bug Out Bags
If you plan on bugging out to a different location whether it is a stocked cabin or family and friends residence you will want a BOB. The size will depend on what you can carry comfortably. These bags will contain the minimum what is needed to sustain you until you can get to your location.

Now its time to pick this apart in a positive manner. How would you tell a new prepper to start? What can you add to what I have already written?
Great information!!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Lots on here to take in and think about. I will add one thing.

KNOW YOURSELF AND YOUR CAPABILITIES AND LIMITS, and plan accordingly. Not everybody can have a BOL, the ability to get there under duress, the resources to be self-sustaining (farm), all of that. It's fun to think about but in reality, can you really do it?

Example: Looking at water resources, I immediately thought about that year round creek only two blocks from my home. I have a Berkey, no problem. I'll just get water from the creek. Then I walked over and looked at that creek. The bank is long, steep and rocky. I could get down there, but getting back up hauling water would be very tricky. I could walk upstream where there is no bank, but it would not be easy and I would have to go through private property to get there and I would need to take my wagon to haul water jugs back. And how would that work? There is a reason they call this the Rocky Mountains. And if I were successful at that, the last thing I would do is use that precious water to flush the toilet or wash my hair. And what a target I would make, a little old lady hauling a wagon of water, which everybody else will also need. So, storage in barrels, until that runs out.

Example: Forty years ago, I spent a year in a mountain cabin with just a small fireplace for heat. I burned only a few hours a day. A cord of wood every three weeks. Spent an hour every day with a wedge-and-a-sledge to have wood just for that evening. We dressed in front of the fireplace in the mornings; you could see your breath. Could I do that today? No. But I can order wood right now that is already split, all I have to do is stack and store it and maybe split some for kindling. If it isn't stolen first. Or until that runs out.

Example: A good friend lives in an (almost) off-grid tiny house. Solar, propane, and a generator. Her gennie and heater are propane fueled. Until (wait for it) that runs out.

Who knows how long any SHTF scenario will last, whether it will be an all or nothing situation (no supplies available at all or just sporadically), so you do the best you can with what you have to work with, but The One Thing You Must Have is the determination to survive. If you have that, you have everything you will need.

·
Super Moderator
9,503 Posts

KNOW YOURSELF AND YOUR CAPABILITIES AND LIMITS, and plan accordingly. Not everybody can have a BOL, the ability to get there under duress, the resources to be self-sustaining (farm), all of that. It's fun to think about but in reality, can you really do it?

Example: Looking at water resources, I immediately thought about that year round creek only two blocks from my home. I have a Berkey, no problem. I'll just get water from the creek. Then I walked over and looked at that creek. The bank is long, steep and rocky. I could get down there, but getting back up hauling water would be very tricky. I could walk upstream where there is no bank, but it would not be easy and I would have to go through private property to get there and I would need to take my wagon to haul water jugs back. And how would that work? There is a reason they call this the Rocky Mountains. And if I were successful at that, the last thing I would do is use that precious water to flush the toilet or wash my hair. And what a target I would make, a little old lady hauling a wagon of water, which everybody else will also need. So, storage in barrels, until that runs out.

Example: Forty years ago, I spent a year in a mountain cabin with just a small fireplace for heat. I burned only a few hours a day. A cord of wood every three weeks. Spent an hour every day with a wedge-and-a-sledge to have wood just for that evening. We dressed in front of the fireplace in the mornings; you could see your breath. Could I do that today? No. But I can order wood right now that is already split, all I have to do is stack and store it and maybe split some for kindling. If it isn't stolen first. Or until that runs out.

Example: A good friend lives in an (almost) off-grid tiny house. Solar, propane, and a generator. Her gennie and heater are propane fueled. Until (wait for it) that runs out.

Who knows how long any SHTF scenario will last, whether it will be an all or nothing situation (no supplies available at all or just sporadically), so you do the best you can with what you have to work with, but The One Thing You Must Have is the determination to survive. If you have that, you have everything you will need.
Good points. Many don't consider all sides of an issue.

·
Registered
604 Posts

As a senior lady I also would have problems with bugging out. I do think I would be better then my older husband but I plan to just stay here and defend what is mine, and pray I don't have to. Even though I work out all the time I know I am not as strong as I used to be and know that isn't likely to do anything but slowly get worse. So my preps are for sticking around here, having enough to eat and drink and looking like I don't have 2 dimes to rub together so they don't think I would be worth a hit. But I do make sure I can still nail a target and keep my aim up.

Reactions: NMPRN

·
Registered
125 Posts
As a senior lady I also would have problems with bugging out. I do think I would be better then my older husband but I plan to just stay here and defend what is mine, and pray I don't have to. Even though I work out all the time I know I am not as strong as I used to be and know that isn't likely to do anything but slowly get worse. So my preps are for sticking around here, having enough to eat and drink and looking like I don't have 2 dimes to rub together so they don't think I would be worth a hit. But I do make sure I can still nail a target and keep my aim up.
Exactly.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Medical
Where to begin, in the military there is a saying of "Beans, Bullets and Band Aids". Band Aids being your medical resources and supplies. Your first priority is to get basic medical training such as the American Red Cross course and CPR course. You have to have knowledge. For more first aid information I would recommend that you preferably get a hard copy of the Army manual, First Aid FM 4-25.11 formerly FM 21-11. You can google it and get it on PDF. This Manual is the Army's basic first aid book. It will also teach you to treat basic trauma like a gunshot wound.

I would recommend that you obtain the LDS Preparedness Handbook as a beginners guide to prepping. I guess I should have mentioned this in the beginning. It is an excellent resource. If you can not find it by googling it then private message me with an email and I will forward it to you.

You will want a basic first aid kit for your home and make it so it is mobile so that you can take it with you if you have to leave your residence in a hurry. Military medic bags are a good resource to start with. If you can afford it Doom and Bloom has some excellent medical bags Disaster Preparedness Kits | Natural Disaster Preparedness | Earthquake Preparedness Supplies

If you cannot, there product lists will give you another guide to go by.

Here are some basic items from the LDS Preparedness Book you will want to have in your first aid kit;

Basic First Aid Kit
Bandages and Dressings:
[__] Antiseptic Wipes
[__] Bandage (Crepe) - 50 mm (2")
[__] Bandage (Crepe) - 75 mm (2.5")
[__] Bandage (Crepe) - 100 mm (4")
[__] Bandage (Gauze) - 75 mm (2.5")
[__] Bandage (Gauze) - 100 mm (4")
[__] Bandage Triangular
[__] Dressing (Combine) 90 mm x 100 m m
[__] Dressing (Combine) 200 mm x 200 mm
[__] Dressing (Non Adhesive) 75 mm x 50 mm
[__] Dressing (Non Adhesive) 75 mm x 100 mm
[__] Dressing Strip - Elastoplast 75 mm x 1 m
[__] Eye Pads
[__] Gauze Swabs (Pkt 2) - 100 mm x 100 mm
[__] Sticking plasters
Personal protection
[__] Disposable Gloves
[__] CPR Face Shield
Instruments
[__] Clothing Shears
[__] Tweezers - Fine Point
[__] Splinter Probes
Other
[__] Saline Solution 30 mL Tubes
[__] Steri-Strips - 3 mm
[__] Survival Sheet
[__] Tape - 25 mm

Basic medical kit
Bandages and Dressings
[__] Combat Dressings
[__] Large gauze dressings
[__] Small gauze squares
[__] Roller Bandages elastic + cotton (2in/4in/6in)
[__] Triangular Bandages
[__] Bandaids -assorted sizes and shapes (i.e. fin
gertips)
[__] Sleek Tape 1 in.
(waterproof, plastic/elasticised tape)
[__] Cotton buds (Q-tips, cotton tips)
Personal protection / Antisepsis:
[__] Chlorhexidine (Hibiclens) or
[__] Povidone-iodine (Disinfectant)
[__] Antibacterial Soap
[__] Gloves
[__] Saline solution - for irrigation
Medication:
[__] Lignocaine 1% (Lidocaine) (local anaesthetic)
[__] Augmentin (broad spectrum antibiotic)
[__] Acetaminophen (Tylenol) (mild analgesic)
[__] Diclophenac (Voltaren)
(mod analgesic/antiinflammatory)
[__] Oral Rehydration powder
[__] Loperamide (Imodium) (antidiarrhoeal)
[__] Benadryl &/or Claritin
(antihistamines, short + long acting)
[__] Adrenaline auto injector (Epicene)
(USA = epinephrine)
[__] Morphine Sulphate
(strong pain killer) if available
[__] Gamma Benzene Hexachloride
(lice/scabies treatment)
[__] Co-timoxazole (antifungal)
[__] Contraceptive pills/Condoms
Instruments:
[__] Clothing shears
[__] Surgical scissors
[__] Needle holder ) Enough to do basic minor
[__] Sm curved clamps ) surgery - suturing, draining
[__] Tissue forceps ) abscesses, cleaning a wound,
[__] Scalpel blades ) etc.
Other:
[__] Thermometer (rectal or pacifier for children)
[__] Emergency Obstetric Kit
(includes bulb suction)
[__] Vicryl 2-0 suture material
(Your choice of suture material is up to you - and is covered in detail elsewhere in this book. Vicryl is a synthetic dissolvable one, but takes up to 4-6 weeks to dissolve, so I think it is the ideal survival thread)
[__] 5 mL syringes
[__] 20 gauge needles

Dental:
[__] Oil of cloves (tooth ache)
[__] Emergency dental kit
(commercial preparation)

The Deluxe Medical Kit
Bandages and dressings
[__] Large gauze dressings
[__] Small gauze squares
[__] Combat dressings
[__] Petroleum gauze squares
[__] Plastic bags
[__] Bandaids - assorted sizes and shapes
[__] Elastoplast dressing
[__] Steri-Strips - assorted sizes
[__] Tincture of Benzoin
[__] Roller (elasticised + cotton)
bandages (2in/4in/6in)
[__] Triangular bandages
[__] Safety pins
[__] Cotton buds
[__] Paper tape (1/2 in/1in)
[__] Sleek tape (1/2in/1in)
[__] Plaster of Paris (or fibreglass)
roller bandages (4in/6in)
[__] Eye patches
Airway
[__] Oropharyngeal airways
[__] Nasal airways (nasal trumpet)
[__] Resuscitation facemask with one-way valve
[__] Self-inflating resuscitation bag
[__] Endotracheal tube/ Laryngoscope
Assessment
[__] BP cuff
[__] Stethoscope
[__] Otoscope
[__] Small Torch (flash light)
[__] Thermometer (rectal for children)
[__] Multi-dip. urine test strips
[__] Pregnancy test kits
[__] Fluorescein eye strips
(+ some liquid tears to wet the strips)
Other
[__] Small eye magnet (for FB's)
[__] Space blanket
[__] Air splints (arm/long-leg/short-leg)
[__] SAM splints
[__] Sterile and un-sterile latex gloves
[__] Scrub Suits
IV Kit
[__] Normal Saline or Hartmans
[__] Haemaccel or Pentaspan
(a colloid resuscitation fluid)
[__] IV giving sets - maxi-sets + standard sets
[__] Blood collection bags + filter giving sets
[__] Syringes 2/5/10/20 mL
[__] Needles 20/22/24 gauge
[__] IV cannulas 16/20/24 gauge
[__] Spinal needles 22 gauge
[__] Leur locks/Heparin locks
[__] Saline for flushes
[__] Tourniquet
[__] Alcohol Wipes

Dental Kit
[__] Oil of cloves
[__] Zinc Oxide paste
[__] Dental mirror
[__] Sharp probe
[__] Compactor
[__] Extraction forceps
[__] Elevators
Surgical Kit
[__] Mayo scissors
[__] Dissecting forceps
[__] Small + medium needle holders
[__] Small curved clamps
[__] Small straight clamps
[__] Large curved clamps
[__] Scalpel Handle + Blades (size 11, 12, 15)
or disposable scalpels
[__] Small Bone Saw
[__] Lift- Out obstetric forceps
[__] Emergency Obstetric Kit
(includes cord clamps, bulb suction etc)
[__] Suture Material Vicryl; 0, 2-0
[__] Chromic 0, 2-0
[__] Dermalon 0, 2-0
[__] Surgical stapler and remover
[__] Heimlich flutter valve
[__] Chest drains - various sizes
[__] Drainage bottles or Flutter valves
[__] Penrose drains
[__] Foley Urethral Catheters -
16 French (most useful size)
[__] Urine Bags
[__] Nasogastric (NG) tubes + spigots
[__] Heavy duty scissors

Medications
[__] Povidone - iodine Prep antiseptic skin prep
and/or Alcohol prep antiseptic skin
prep Chlorhexidine and cetrimide anti
[__] septic hand wash
[__] Benalkium Chloride Antirabies skin wash
[__] Antibacterial Soap
[__] Paracetamol (Tylenol) oral mild analgesic
[__] Aspirin oral wonder drug
[__] Diclophenac oral mod analgesic (NASID)
[__] Morphine IV/IMSC strong analgesic
[__] Naroxone IV antagonist to morphine
[__] Ketamine IV/IM IV anaesthetic
[__] Diazepam IV hypnotic/sedative
[__] Atropine IV pre-med/poison anti
[__] Lignocaine (Lidocaine) IV local anaesthetic
[__] Metoclopramide (Reglan) anti-emetic
[__] Augmentin oral/IV penicillin antibiotic
[__] Metronidazole oral anaerobic antibiotic
[__] Cefaclor oral cephalosporin antibiotic
[__] Ceftriaxone IV cephalosporin antibiotic
[__] Ciprofloxacin oral quinolone antibiotic
[__] Mebendazole oral antiparasitic
[__] Co-trimoxazole top antifungal
[__] Adrenaline IV/IM (USA = Epinephrine)
[__] Salbutamol inhaler asthma/anaphylaxis
[__] Rehydration formula dehydration
[__] Benadryl &/or Claritin oral antihistamine
[__] OTC Cough suppressant
[__] Betnesol oral steroid
[__] Hydrocortisone IV/cream steroid
[__] Loperamide oral antidiarrheal
[__] Ergometrine &/or Oxytocin IV/IM ecbolic for
PPH
[__] Neomycin eye drops
[__] Prilocaine eye drops local anaesthetic
[__] Starr Otic Drops antibiotic ear drops