Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I made a nice trade. I gave up 400 rounds of 357 SWC factory reloads from a reasonably reputable company to a gentlemen for 300 rounds of premium 223/5.56mm ammo factory new (PMC). I was most happy with the trade since I got the 357's a month ago in another trade for AR-15 magazines (equivalent of 2 of them for 400 rounds in a 1000 round deal for 5). In essence through horse trading I scored 300 rounds of 223 ammo for 2 magazines. I was well stocked in magazines and I felt I was 300 rounds short of 223 - now were all good.

So where is your reserve. I came home and decided for temporary storage to stick the little 20 round boxes on top of my clay shot 12 gauge 100 round WalMart boxes that are on top of my safe. I pushed the first to the back and CRASH. The little box fell. I heard it "come open" and the rounds scatter a bit - 20 rounds - damn. Moving that safe is a real P.I.T.Butt. Ahh screw it - that's the 20 round last reserve.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I seem to have been stashing 100 rds of .22lr and a few .40SW in the back of a seldom used closet in an old range bag that I dug out last week.

Other than that, <leans in closer to the hidden microphone> I have no ammo stashed. Why would I use up valueable space for that:???:

::EDIT:: In fact, since the horrible camping accident when all my guns fell in the lake (shifts eyes side to side), I don't even need the rounds I found.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Ammo cans and where they will not find it. never all in one place.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Spread out over six locations. I try and have some at the ready wherever I am frequently.

Some in ammo cans, more in Plano field boxes, a lot in bulk still in factory plastic bags inside taped cardboard boxes locked in ammo cabinets, some in BOBs/BOVs, some on shelves and workbenches, and some cached outdoors (under lock and key). Oh, seven - range bags.

·
Registered
938 Posts
a little off topic but yall with Shotguns, what are you keeping in stock for them?
Target loads; game loads (turkey, birds/rabbits); buckshot - 2 3/4" 00 8 or 9 pellet, or 3" 00 15 pellet; home defense buckshot; buck & ball home defense loads; and 1 ounce slugs (some rifled).

My 12 gauge is my first line of defense - house gun. Hornady TAP FPD, 70mm. Zombie slayers.

·
Registered
855 Posts
My ammo is all over the place. I keep quite a bit of it in my home office in an old Rigid tool bag that I had laying around. That makes a pretty good grab and go bag if I decide to head to the gun club. When the new safe gets here tomorrow (god willing) that bag will go in the safe. The majority of my ammo is stored in my workshop along with all my reloading gear. Soon I'll be rebuilding all my work benches and reorganizing my workshop. I had a friend donate 3 utility shelving units for this purpose, I figure at least one of those will go to organizing my ammo.

All of my 12ga ammo is 1 1/8oz trap loads which will work pretty well for small game in a pinch. I have some 00 buckshot set aside for the 20ga but not a lot of it, should probably stock up on some more of that. I have no use for slugs here, that's what I've got rifles for.

-Infidel

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Until I finish my shop and garage my ammo is spread over two states! I have some here at home but most of it is across the border in Oregon.
I really need to get that shop and garage done. I got the framing inspection taken care of today so it is now just a matter of finishing the exterior and then starting on the garage.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Target loads; game loads (turkey, birds/rabbits); buckshot - 2 3/4" 00 8 or 9 pellet, or 3" 00 15 pellet; home defense buckshot; buck & ball home defense loads; and 1 ounce slugs (some rifled).

My 12 gauge is my first line of defense - house gun. Hornady TAP FPD, 70mm. Zombie slayers.
Thats so close to my home defense setup.12g,various game loads,00 buckshot,and slugs for hunting,at home though,there is plenty Critical Defense rounds close by.My first "goto" gun for home invasion/close range hands down.

But to the original question of wheres my ammo? Well...if you find it,that means I have already fired on you,lol.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I bought a cheap WalMart poly tool box for $15.00 and filled it with couple thousand rounds of ammo. It sits off the concrete on a couple of 2x4's in the garage under a lot of old junk. Easy to get at, but difficult to spot...

·
Administrator
15,448 Posts
When the wife found out how much I had she made me move it out to my barn. I've got a couple hundred assorted rounds in the house, just ready ammo. I have talked to both county firemen and the local volunteer firemen and they said that SOP is if there's a house fire and a few rounds cook off, no big deal. If there's a bunch of ammo cooking off they back off and let the structure burn. I'm pretty sure homeowners insurance would have a problem paying off in that situation.
Before anyone goes storing 10,000 rounds in their bedroom closet, it might be prudent to check with your local fire department and see what their policy is.
Just a thought.

Reactions: Denton
1 - 20 of 25 Posts