Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't pack any more ammo into my gun safe, it's full, unless I was to remove some of my guns which wouldn't make much sense.
Dont really have room for a larger safe.
With the price of ammo these days and the scarcity of it, it would not surprise me to see ammo being stolen.
So I have started putting all 5.56 in safe along with critical defense 10mm, 9mm, 357 etc. the more expensive stuff.
Target rounds and shotgun shells hidden in closets or wherever.
Any thoughts on storing bulk ammo?
Most all I have was bought when it was cheaper and more available, little bit along over the years.

·
Administrator
14,690 Posts
I keep a few hundred rounds of various calibers on hand in the house.
The other thousands of rounds, in 21 calibers and gauges, is out in one of the barns.
Mainly because if there's a house fire and ammo starts cooking off, our county firefighters back off and let the structure burn.
That would be hard to explain to my insurance agent.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I used to have Ammo cans like that, but the Ex got them along with the guns in the divorce.:tango_face_smile:

The other thousands of rounds, in 21 calibers and gauges, is out in one of the barns.
Mainly because if there's a house fire and ammo starts cooking off, our county firefighters back off and let the structure burn.
When my buddy's dad had a chimney fire, only 3 of us volunteer fireman were brave enough to go in. We knew where "Sarge" had most of the guns and ammo.

·
Super Moderator
1-6 months, natural disasters or economic collapse
9,063 Posts
Ammo cans, preferably the metal ones with the proper gasket seal.
They stack well, keep out moisture, and are strong enough to hold a lot of weight.
I don't currently have them in a safe. My safe is only big enough for the guns.

·
Super Moderator
3,031 Posts
This may seem like a stupid question.......
I have an unheated and uninsulated out building. Winter time temps can dip to zero. Summertime 80s and maybe 90. Could I store ammo in steel military ammo boxes under such conditions long term? Any special requirements other than the ammo cans themselves and desiccant inside?

I have one additional possibility. A former underground water cistern. But this cistern gets pretty damp inside. Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
When I was young we used to throw ammo in the fire pit all the time-no one died-we stood a few feet away, lots of fun!

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2012/4/4/is-loaded-ammo-deadly-if-it-catches-on-fire/

To be fair, I have read articles stating ammo kept in steel ammo cans "May" explode due to confinement of exploding ammo.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Ammo will store nicely in a Freezer or refrigerator that is not longer is useful. Just make sure it is fully dried out While we know ammo does not explode in a fire for the most part. Ammo contained in a locked value can. Not a major concern but something to consider.
Keep one for ammo you want handy daily and others for long term storage. simple lock can be used to keep children out. small dehumidifier is you feel the need. see it second shelf from top.
You will be surprise at the weight the racks will hold . This one was an up right freezer.

100_2064.JPG

·
Registered
12,441 Posts
I have an unheated and uninsulated out building. Winter time temps can dip to zero. Summertime 80s and maybe 90. Could I store ammo in steel military ammo boxes under such conditions long term? Any special requirements other than the ammo cans themselves and desiccant inside?

I have one additional possibility. A former underground water cistern. But this cistern gets pretty damp inside. Thoughts?
It does not get hot there for prolonged period usually. If sealed in ammo cans (avoid moisture) out of the sun it will store just fine. I have some very old ammo that goes boom each and every time. 50's/60's. I fired off all the WW2 ammo with no misfires.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
As far as temp fluctuations go, I find it hard to believe all the kazillions of rounds of military ammo stored around the world is kept in a climate controlled environment.

CCE would be ideal though.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I have some in the safe and some on the safe. Some in cans and some in original factory cases. I did have some in the garage for a few years in a locked job box but now have it in the house.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Don't get to worked up over prefect conditions. Yes dry is good soaking wet bad. But it is not the big deal some make it out to be. Ammo stored in the Mags both hand gun and rifles in the one above for many years grab one and go fire every time. Don't buy into the BS.
Ammo purchase in sealed Tin/lead wood crates just leave the sealed stack them up. As mentioned above we also have 30.06 and 308 boxed up in 150 still fires just fine no special storage.
Remember the 5 day test we did with cheap 9mm ammo soaked under water.

·
Registered
89 Posts

best I understand it is, cold does not bother gun powder, long periods of heat is worse on it. I have kept plenty of shotgun ammo in a local storage unit year round and it has always worked. It would not / will not be my choice once I get a property with some outbuildings (we just have an acre now) but once I get some land and have an outbuilding I will make an area within it that has a vented and insulated room with an attic fan - the fan may just vent back to the main building but it will keep air circulated.

As for ammo in a fire - I am no fireman, but several years ago I did some pretty extensive fire fighting and first aid training annually. I did well on fire fighting but I suck at first aid, please don't rely on me :vs_shocked: I can gut a critter all day, but people, you're likely gonna die. Anyway - everything I learned is ammo is just a big poof. My son's friend threw some in a fire pit we had for a cookout and that is all it did. If the ammo is not locked into a devise, when the gunpowder ignites, the bullet may just dribble away but the casing, which is lighter will push away also, it will all just kinda puff and move 6 or 8 inches, there just isn't that much gunpowder in a single bullet. I hear stories that during a house fire bullets were flying every direction, not true, can't, maybe lots of poof's, but loose bullets won't go zinging around. Now, you could get a zinger if a gun was loaded and it got hot enough to ignite the bullet.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts