Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious to see where and what people buy. I usually hit walmart and a few dollar stores in my area for deals. Does anyone here buy the Wise food, etc? I got a free sample from them today. For the money, I can purchase my own food much cheaper. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
938 Posts
I like to shop at Sam's Wholesale Club for canned meats -- they have the best prices, but you have to be willing to store some, because you have to buy a year's supply sometimes! I get my dry cell batteries there too. I also shop at Wal-Mart for a lot of my supplies -- they have great deals, and if you plan it right and catch them switching out inventory as the seasons change you can get some great deals on clearance racks. I buy a lot of gun cleaning supplies there, gas cans, large (six gallon) water containers, propane, medical supplies, fishing tackle, camo clothing, etc. I like Tractor Supply for boots, gloves, and farm supplies. I shop Lowe's and Home Depot for building supplies and tools, and I use Dollar Stores as well, although I think Wal-Mart has better selection and prices. We also have major sporting goods retailers, and I shop them but only when they have sales (I browse online first) because their markup is way too high.

I checked out the Wise and Mountain House emergency food supplies. I decided I could easily beat their prices buying from Wally World and making my own emergency food supplies out of food I know we like to eat, and save money. A bucket of Wise food cost ~$109 on sale, and for that kind of money, I can fill up a whole pantry with foods we like in cans and packages.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Check the Lehman's catalog and web site. Lots of good stuff there. Not the cheapest, but seems like high quality.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I am a couponer so I shop everywhere they take coupons :) Whatever I can't buy with coupons, I usually buy from Amazon or a wholesale club.

·
Super Moderator
9,263 Posts
I like to shop at Sam's Wholesale Club for canned meats -- they have the best prices, but you have to be willing to store some, because you have to buy a year's supply sometimes! I get my dry cell batteries there too. I also shop at Wal-Mart for a lot of my supplies -- they have great deals, and if you plan it right and catch them switching out inventory as the seasons change you can get some great deals on clearance racks. I buy a lot of gun cleaning supplies there, gas cans, large (six gallon) water containers, propane, medical supplies, fishing tackle, camo clothing, etc. I like Tractor Supply for boots, gloves, and farm supplies. I shop Lowe's and Home Depot for building supplies and tools, and I use Dollar Stores as well, although I think Wal-Mart has better selection and prices. We also have major sporting goods retailers, and I shop them but only when they have sales (I browse online first) because their markup is way too high.

I checked out the Wise and Mountain House emergency food supplies. I decided I could easily beat their prices buying from Wally World and making my own emergency food supplies out of food I know we like to eat, and save money. A bucket of Wise food cost ~$109 on sale, and for that kind of money, I can fill up a whole pantry with foods we like in cans and packages.
Sam's and Costco mostly but yeah Wally World too. I keep a lot of extra batteries on hand I get from Costco. Kirkland brand batteries are made by Duracell. I did buy some long term storage stuff from The Internet Grocer - Home page of BPSF Group LLC. But I too found I can keep emergency food supplies buying bulk.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
You have met Joe Millionaire, now meet Joe Tightwad! I shop at what ever location I will be passing on my way to a work site that has the cheapest price I can get. Some times its Sams, Cost Co, Dollar General, Wally World of even Whole Foods sometimes can beat Wally World. Just depends on what it is I need to add to the larder. Generally due to my work hours and available times to shop I usually hit Wally World the most often for most of my needs.

·
Registered
365 Posts
i hate to admit it, but i too support china..err walmart.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
My sort don't get to go to walmart here. But I will hit it in a more dual area.
any store with stuff I. Can put in my prepps. Home depot is great also big 5
Nonlinear I hit budk.com

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I'm always prepping so anywhere I find a good deal. It drives my wife crazy because we go somewhere and I'm loading up on stuff that is on clearance but she is coming around. I'm not above garage sales and flea markets for stuff. I found a really cool homemade stove/heater made out of a propane tank at the local flea market!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Just curious to see where and what people buy. I usually hit walmart and a few dollar stores in my area for deals. Does anyone here buy the Wise food, etc? I got a free sample from them today. For the money, I can purchase my own food much cheaper. Any thoughts?
You have met Joe Millionaire, now meet Joe Tightwad! I shop at what ever location I will be passing on my way to a work site that has the cheapest price I can get. Some times its Sams, Cost Co, Dollar General, Wally World of even Whole Foods sometimes can beat Wally World. Just depends on what it is I need to add to the larder. Generally due to my work hours and available times to shop I usually hit Wally World the most often for most of my needs.
As it is said, "Variety is the spice of life" and with my wife not really on board with this, a lot of the decisions are left to me, so I shop were I can get the better price keeping in mind, quality is what you get, price is what you pay. As my start was with guns, most of my practice grade ammo was from Wally World where I eventually decided on cash only purchases. Unfortunately, my small stash of SD ammo was made online and therefore trackable to get the better quality as the LGSs don't normally carry it and when they do, pricey. I've been using various stick and brick store to include Wally World, Big 5 Sporting and even the Base Exchange and commissary on short term emergency supplies, but for long term emergency food supply, I was given advise on a shooter's forum to go with Wise Foods based upon quality, weight and available storage space. Even there, I use Amazon to check for sales. I've picked up two of my three liquid fuel Coleman lanterns , both of the liquid fuel stoves and one of my two propane stoves and 5 propane tanks at local garage sales. That, I have to give the wife credit. She's bonkers on "garbage" sales and if there's something I want in that area, she's on it. Got 2-4 more propane tanks, a 3-3.5 kw generator for the house and any other camping type gear on her list.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Big Lots and dollar stores plus i acquire what i can from the ARMY .. great free items haha

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have tried samples from GoFoods..amazingly...tasted good but some took long to prepare. I call them Slow Foods...lol.
For long range storage: I recently bought a 60meal meat entree bucket from yearzerosurvival.com. I thought it was a no brainer. 60 meals that last 25 years added to my prep stock for the price of one fine restaurant dinner with my wife...no brainer and someone else did all the preservation work. Its a matter of the time and energy you want to put into it. For short range storage: I also pick up a few extra cans of food every time I go shopping...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts